Health cover if the UK leaves the EU

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Health cover if the UK leaves the EU

Postby Lavanda » Thu May 19, 2016 4:51 am

This article got me thinking:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/insurance/tr ... if-theres/

In the event of not getting health cover in Spain through the existing reciprocal arrangements presumably residents in Spain could travel to the UK to pick up health care? It seems a recipe for disaster for the NHS, agreed, but with people under the impression of "I've paid in so I now want what I have paid for" — yes, I know it doesn't work like that but the whole thing's not logical anyway — I can see this happening. A lot!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Health cover if the UK leaves the EU

Postby katy » Fri May 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Can't see that happening . The UK pays Spain the same rate per pensioner as it costs the Spanish Government per pensioner. The U.K. Also has one card up it's sleeve, the threat of withdrawing free health care to the hundreds of thousands of Spaniards living in UK.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 20, 2016 4:16 pm

So I guess that's a "Remain" result then? :lol: :think:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 20, 2016 4:20 pm

katy wrote:Can't see that happening . The UK pays Spain the same rate per pensioner as it costs the Spanish Government per pensioner. The U.K. Also has one card up it's sleeve, the threat of withdrawing free health care to the hundreds of thousands of Spaniards living in UK.
But most of them are working, so withdrawing health care is not an option as the cost comes, not from Spain, but from their NI contributions.

The problem is that the UK pensioners could lose their cover in Spain, but there are fewer Spanish pensioners in the UK.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Yes but the UK could retaliate and impose a longer waiting time before getting into the system for foreign nationals. Out of the EU they could do as they please.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 20, 2016 6:06 pm

I don't believe they could, as the UK would still have equality laws, even out of the EU, which would prevent them doing that. I think the most they could do would be make EU nationals subject to the same NHS surcharge as non EU nationals already are.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... w-much-pay

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 31, 2017 7:22 am

I started this post on 19th May 2016. One year on and we are all still none the wiser.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/healt ... 63851.html

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed May 31, 2017 9:30 am

The UK polls are now leaning towards a hung parliament. If that transpires the two years will fly by in a flurry of no decisions re Brexit . Might be speeded up a bit if we hand over the 100 billion ransom always assuming parliament could agree on that.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Those polls are very strange but I think it's the old trick of the right-wing press getting hold of 'polls' and manipulating the Tory voter into going out and voting rather than them being complaisant and staying home. I hate the way the polls emotionally blackmail the voter. I simply do not trust them and think they should be banned during an election campaign. What purpose do they serve? Apart from making money?

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed May 31, 2017 3:15 pm

If people would "get off their butts" and use the vote - the right to cast a vote having been hard-fought for over the years - there would be no need to attempt to "manipulate" people into casting a vote.
Personally, I favour the notion of compulsory voting.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm

So do I but I also favour showing some sort of ID when voting. I shall be in the UK on the 8th June and told the electoral people. They said to just turn up and vote as normal. I asked if I should bring my passport as I haven't voted in person for 10 years — my Mum has my proxy — but I was told no ID was necessary. Just give my name and vote. Amazing.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 31, 2017 4:44 pm

Lavanda wrote:Those polls are very strange?
They (or it, to be precise) are certainly different as this poll covered each constituency with 50000 people questioned. Arguably, that should produce a more accurate result in terms of seats rather than the overall vote.

I should imagine that May is wetting herself having seen it. Could she go down as the first contender that lost an election having started with the possibility of a huge landslide? The next week is going to be interesting - just for a change.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 31, 2017 5:03 pm

Too true. I was actually a big supporter of Teresa when she first became the PM but not now. She changes her mind and back-tracks at the slightest show of dissent. Everything seems so muddled and unclear at a time when we should have some idea of what will happen next.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed May 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Theresa has firmly shot herself in her Louboutins in recent days......strong and stable.....now looks very weak and wobbly