Weather

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Weather

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:25 am

Is it as hot as last year which was unbearable at times...

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Weather

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:59 am

I think July has been cooler than last year, particularly in the evenings. My weather computer is currently backing up but I'll have a closer look and report back.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:24 am

cooler at night thus far

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:33 am

June mean temperature was very slightly cooler than last year, but only by 0.1ºc.

So far July has been 0.2ºc cooler, but as atg1952 said, the average minimum temperature has been slightly cooler but only by 1.2ºc.

Those figures were recorded on the coast, inland could be significantly different.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:18 pm

It doesn't feel as unbearably hot as it did last summer but then I don't think it's got going yet. Last year was a record for us with temperatures indoors up to 33 degrees all night long, and so far it hasn't touched 30 in our livingroom yet. According to my diary I was expiring through heat exhaustion this time last year but it started to cool down a bit later on in August :lol:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:06 pm

My sis in law installed aircon for the very first time last year..she has a lovely cool house in Summer..freezing in winter but she has the usual set up to deal with it..nevertheless in all her 47yrs she has never known a Summer as hot as the last one...it was uncomfortable but in comparison to the UK last summer i think i could compensate..

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:44 am

Last year was dreadful. Unbearable infact. It is no way as hot as it was last year and I have hardly had the fan on at all, lovely and cool at night, just hope it stays that way. Last year it began on the 22nd June and ended mid september with no let up. I had the aircon on and the fans. :thumbdown:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:54 am

A friend showed me a weather warning for the whole of Spain yesterday for the next coming weeks. Anyone know anything about it.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:30 pm

It's been cooler here, so far. However, the hot weather has come very suddenly and local people say there has not been the usual time to get used to the heat. Just three weeks ago, today, I did a small 18km walk just east of where I live. I was wearing my jacket and got caught in a downpour. It was just 13ºC. By the end of the week it was over 30ºC. There's a breeze most days and it's much cooler at night, thank goodness.

Two days ago we had a thunderstorms with a few huge drops of rain. Yesterday was another storm with more rain — about 10 minutes or so. Today a storm is forecast for 15.00 until 20.00 and there are storms set for all day tomorrow. They will be welcome. There is hot weather and then there is hot weather where just reaching for a glass of something cold is utterly exhausting. I don't like that.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:02 pm

We often watch the weather on Antena 3 at 4pm (ish) with Roberto Brasero who shows a lot of photos and videos from around Spain and does a very indepth report. We did have a lot of thunder the other night but got only a few spots of rain. It's rare to get a proper soaking in the summer months here, but it would be very welcome.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:49 pm

swerve wrote:A friend showed me a weather warning for the whole of Spain yesterday for the next coming weeks. Anyone know anything about it.

Yes, they call it "Summer" down here. It's usually hot.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi swerve,
Weather warnings for some parts of Spain..........

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/avisos

And Thursday...........

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/avisos?w=mna
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks Sid. I'm rolling around laughing. Not.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:16 pm

The Met Office issue hot weather warnings all through the summer. It does not mean that the weather will be hotter than usual - it's always hot. It is a health warning as the temperatures in inland Andalucia can indeed be life threatening.

The Andalucia Health Service issue warnings every year to help vulnerable people prepare for the summer heat.

It is the norm here - it is always likely to exceed a comfortable level.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm in Ireland for the month. First thing Had to to do was to buy a Jacket. Wifes enjoying good weather in Bilbao though.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:03 pm

Wow what a day of weather.

Started off dry and very hot. Not a breath of wind all morning. Then about 1p.m. the barometer plummeted, terrific wind laden with dust for about 20 minutes from the South West . So strong we had some minor damage. Loads of heat haze. Temperature plummeted maybe 10 degrees ,Then half an hour with heavy spots of rain. Enough to wet patio tiles but not soil. Temperature back up now. Power cuts ever since ! Wrong type of wind maybe.

Anyone else have similar?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:07 pm

I am very cool. Lovely sea breeze has been blowing in all day. Weird weather. Grey clouds in July! For me at least it is the coolest it has even been in a July. Long may it last.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:55 pm

If your in Spain in the summer surely you don’t need a weather warning unless you have a very small brain. Do they warn that its going to cold in Sweden in January.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Costa kid. Peculiar answer. I have been here long enough to experience the extremes we get. Just wondered what others have experienced today. Not difficult regardless of brain size. In fact that is irrelevant and trite.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Very odd weather today for July. Hazy most of the day and not unusually hot. Sun came out for a bit at about 4pm and the temperature hit 34.5c. Then it clouded over and rained heavily for about 2 minutes!

Sid