press gone mad???

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
flyeogh
Resident

press gone mad???

Postby flyeogh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:19 am

Saw this in El Pais:

El presidente de Meliá avisa de que el ‘Brexit’ ya se nota en el sector turístico / Spanish hotel boss warns sector is feeling first effects of Brexit

Has anyone heard of a single person who has changed their holiday plans due to Brexit?
El raton de watford

flyeogh
Resident

Re: press gone mad???

Postby flyeogh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:26 am

Sorry meant to add with very many Med locations still under a shadow of troubles I see no excuse for Spain not to continue the impressive tourist growth it managed last year. And hopefully start to get more higher spending visitors to visit some great culture Spain has to offer. Although I still see limited promotion of this which is a bit disappointing. Of course personally I'm doing my best :D
El raton de watford

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:50 pm

Maybe the currency rate is putting people off? who knows.
I did note however that car hire was expensive last year during the peak months compared to the previous years...In 2015 we hired a 9 seater for £500 for 2weeks....We wanted to do the same last year but there wasn't any available for under
£1,500....not only that excess deposits on carhire seem to have risen to the extreme...in many cases you are requested to leave as much as 1,500 and that's just for an average car..having said that not everyone wants to hire cars and most are on their annual family holiday...Last year we had problems booking a hotel, I started looking for one in January as i usually do as we often like to stay a few days in Torremolinos before we return home..There was hardly any thing left and i struggled to get us all booked into one, the prices had also shot up...Other years its been a case of take your pick!....I had a look to see if it looks the same for this summer and so far ive noticed many lower end apartments are booked up but there are more hotel vacancies left so far this year compared to the same time last year...
Last year my sister went to a travel agent to try and book a holiday to Costa del sol during the busy months of July and August...She was told they had plenty of air seats and could get people there but the problem was finding the accommodation!!...I'm not sure if Brexit has anything to do with those who may not have the same volume of bookings as last year!!! Maybe it's as simple as they are now charging too much based on one very good year..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:02 pm

Cant see it personally

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Some costs have certainly gone up - but that's true in the U.K. too.
The exchange rate certainly doesn't help but we were told that wouldn't be an issue by the brexiteers!
The slight improvement over the last few days won't cause a problem ( although it won't help our exports).
Again, I haven't heard anyone claim Brexit has led them to change their holiday plans.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Spanish hotel boss warns sector is feeling first effects of Brexit
Trouble is, such people are stuck into the "let's moan and see if we get some government subsidy" mind set..........
nil illegitimum carborundum

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Yup had he said Brexit drove the pound down and that is the reason I might of had a bit - not much - of sympathy but with the negative of Turkey, Tunisia, etc. this should be a time Spain does really well and where we are that seems to be the case. Having problems getting hotel rooms for easter already. And looking at a forecasting company for hotel rooms Spain is only second to the UK in Europe for projected growth.

And can't see my friends swapping Costa del Sol for Bognor :lol:
El raton de watford

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 pm

Not even I would swap for Bognor !!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:13 am

Are the hotels being booked up with folk in euro zone. Exchange rate and hire car robbers puting me and friends off this year

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:37 pm

maureenscot wrote:Are the hotels being booked up with folk in euro zone. Exchange rate and hire car robbers puting me and friends off this year
Maureen the hire cars are a pain for those who visit us not from London. The public transport here is just brilliant by train, bus, taxi and boat (all dirt cheap) that no one needs a hire car once here and London flights to Seville or Jerez are great. Sadly for my friends in Scotland and Liverpool their only real option are flights to/from Malaga and that means a hire car to get here and return.

I get no feel for a change in visitors here but most are Spanish to be fair.

Gus nothing wrong with Bognor except the price of beer, well and the rain, and perhaps the soggy chips, and the B&B, and ............................. ok you win :lol:
El raton de watford