Free Lunch?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Free Lunch?

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:38 am

Very interesting thread. As I have no money, other than pensions, I am not tempted by scams and financial investments BUT this is a very good read. Thanks. My OH, on the other hand, is constantly bombarded with 'offers' from various financial people he once wrote to years ago. Some of the 'investment opportunities' are so impossible it is a wonder anyone takes them up. Yet some do just that.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 am

I have the same thoughts as you Lavanda.

I've only once 'listened' to a financial advisor who was promising me exciting new financial products, I dabbled with a pension fund and it didn't work.

Where I had my office in Benidorm I had a 'Financial Advisor' on one side who I nick-named Mr.Shifty and on the other side a Time Share con man who I called the Dodger because he kept disappearing, I eventually moved because I was sick of irate and upset people looking for them.

I don't need anyone to tell me how to spend my money, I'm really good at that... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon.
ps.Mark , I'm also seeing the same advert as you.... :x

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:21 pm

What amazes me about timeshare, is that once the original timeshare sellers had exhausted the pool of Muppets to sell to, they set themselves up as timeshare resales agents, using their existing database of owners, knowing that they all were desperate to get out of lifelong agreements that even pass to their heirs. They knew that these people were gullible, because they bought timeshares in the first place. So they took fees off them with the promise of buyers waiting (that obviously never existed). Then, when the owners realised they'd been fleeced again, the same con men set themselves up as timeshare resales refund agents, promising class actions against the perpetrators of the previous scam (basically themselves, although naturally they kept that quiet!), and tried to get more fees out of the same people again. Unbelievable!
I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I know all this because I used to handle the online advertising for some of these people (not by choice, I was only following orders!) And by the way, you're seeing ads about investments etc. because they're being targeted to this thread due to the subject matter. It's rather easy to do if you know how! :wink:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Miro wrote:And by the way, you're seeing ads about investments etc. because they're being targeted to this thread due to the subject matter. It's rather easy to do if you know how! :wink:
Even easier to block them :wink:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 pm

What Advertising ?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 pm

markwilding wrote: Very strange as I write this the ad below is offering 7 - 8.5 per cent investment bonds
I'm using an ad-blocker (I know my own tricks too well!) but I must admit, I've never noticed any advertising on A.com threads either, except if viewing on a mobile. I've just checked this same thread on my phone, and Blevins Franks crop up!

(It's also easy to target just mobile devices. Some advertisers choose this option as they believe that the whole world has gone mobile now. Not sure why A.com would choose to only host ads on their mobile site though, but I'm glad that they do)

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Miro wrote: I'm using an ad-blocker (I know my own tricks too well!) but I must admit, I've never noticed any advertising on A.com threads either.
Well as you're using an Ad blocker you wont see them......they'll be "blocked"

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 pm

True! But I didn't notice and ads before I used the ad-blocker, and I just checked now with it disabled and still no ads here.

I tell a lie - just checked again. I must just be used to blanking ads out. Too used to seeing them when I was placing them for clients!
Last edited by Miro on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Disabled my Ad Blocker and Ads appear top and bottom

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:46 pm

My late hubby was for many years Chairman of a committee of 6 volunteer members who ran a multi-million pound group of timeshare resorts on the Costa. I can assure you that not all timeshares are dodgy, nor all the resales people. The amount of work the committee puts in, for no reward, is incredible,and re-selling spare weeks is vital to the financial stability of the group :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:01 pm

I also use adblock on my computer but not on my phone and that's where i see them

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:13 pm

I agree with Benidorm on this one, anyone who calls themselves a financial advisor will have as his number one priority ---------------- himself.
I fell for the b******t of a financial advisor once, years ago, luckily I only lost a little over £400.00, he did however send me (tried) a bill for his services for £230.00! I gave him in my best Manc gangster accent my reply which began and ended with f!
From experience I'm pretty sure that any serious financial investment with a return of 7% would need to be threaded through offshore business!
The only financial advisor one needs is a good accountant!