Spanish Nationality?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Spanish Nationality?

Postby Lavanda » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Does anyone know the pros and cons of giving up British nationality and taking up Spanish nationality? I already pay tax in Spain and bank in Spain and all that stuff. I have no intention in going back to the UK for second-rate health care when I'm in my senior years — or no health care at all by then, I guess. SO, is there a handy list as complied by El Cid or Beachcomber, please?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Nationality?

Postby costakid » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:28 pm

I am sure you have to be in there system for 5 years before you can apply for residence. Even then its not guaranteed that you will be accepted.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:52 pm

I know. We have been here 10 years, have had our resident's status for five years and I speak Spanish like an English-born native. I also read and write the language without recourse to a dictionary. I just wondered if there is something I should know before applying — like do I have to do National Service, or something odd. Or pass the "How to make a tortilla' test. Is there an exam?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 pm

In addition to the 10 years' residency plus needing the DELE A2 level of Spanish, yes there is an exam.

http://www.clm-granada.com/en/esp/exame ... -info.html

We're just past the 10 year mark and I'm considering it myself.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:25 pm

This is the Spanish General Knowledge test.

http://www.parainmigrantes.info/test-de ... de-prueba-

If all goes pear shaped we might go down the same route.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:47 pm

I dont know about the Can You Make Tortilla Test but these web pages may give you something to go on ...
[urlhttp://www.expatica.com/es/visas-and-permits/H ... 07634.html][/url]
https://www.justlanded.com/english/Spai ... itizenship
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados ... lidad.aspx

Cheers

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:02 pm

We've been considering it a few years ago when we passed our ten year mark, but my wife is fluent and I'm nowhere near. We were told by our then Lawyer in Madrid that as a married couple it would weigh heavily against us only one of us going for it and the chances of just the wife being accepted was either slim to non existant. Plus we agreed it would be odd for just the one of us getting Citizenship.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:21 pm

DELE A2 is far from being fluent, though, it's only one level above Beginner.

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Indeed it is but when you have a look at what is required it is pretty in depth and frankly beyond my capabilities so knowing my limitations I know I would struggle whereas my wife would be in the C1/2 area.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:48 pm

So I did the test - I might just apply ... here is the result - 85%
<FELICIDADES! HAS COMPLETADO TU Test de Nacionalidad Española 1 (200 preguntas). TUS RESPUESTAS CORRECTAS HAN SIDO 197 DE 200. EL PROCENTAJE DE ACIERTOS HA SIDO DEL MÁS DEL 80% >

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Interesting about couples both being expected to apply. I wonder if that is still the current thinking?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Obviously it depends on each individuals circumstances, however I did investigate it some time ago and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't actually be of benefit to my wife and I.
We have been in Spain with resident status for over 28 years, and receive Spanish pensions, in addition to UK pensions.
We both speak fluent Spanglish and probably know more about Spanish history than most locals do and can make a tortilla and paella..( and white bean soup ) :D
Whatever the outcome of the 'Brexit' conditions I still don't see it making any difference to most people, unless you are thinking of standing as a candidate in a local election.
Don't Worry Be Happy... :thumbup:

Regards,
Senor Gordon

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:18 am

Benidorm, I think folk are thinking about going through non-EU queues at airport, having to get visas, what health care will be like post brexit etc.But we do not know the answers yet

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 am

Good question Lavanda.

I believe but can't say definitively that you renounce your UK "nationality" unlike say a Spaniard in the Uk that can apply for nationality after five years and get dual citizenship. If that is the case does taking Spanish citizenship affect wills? Specifically does Spanish law takes precedence over UK law.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 am

That's the sort of thing I am thinking about, Olive. What does taking Spanish nationality REALLY mean? Maybe it will not be necessary and things will stay, as Benidorm writes, much the same. I just want to be prepared for options because, currently, I do not feel confident that the UK government knows what it wants out of Brexit, nor how to get it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:14 am

olive wrote:Good question Lavanda.

If that is the case does taking Spanish citizenship affect wills? Specifically does Spanish law takes precedence over UK law.
If you take Spanish citizenship, then you would be bound by Spanish law, so yes, I expect that your will could be affected. You will no longer be able to leave your assets to who you choose as the law about "forced heirs" would apply.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:36 am

maureenscot wrote:I think folk are thinking about going through non-EU queues at airport, having to get visas.....
Surely you're joking? Would you actually change your citizenship over something as trivial? Besides, I would think the non-EU queue would be the shorter. And what about visiting the UK on a Spanish passport? The same would apply, in reverse. I just can't imagine anybody really thinks this would be a reason to change their citizenship.
El Cid wrote:If all goes pear shaped we might go down the same route.
I'm surprised (and curious) Sid, because elsewhere you've indicated that you don't believe anything significant will change for permanent residents. Are you now thinking otherwise (and if so, anything in particular causing you to), or just being cautious and keeping all options open?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:42 am

No, I have no reason to change my views on the subject, merely pointing out that it's an option I would consider if there were compelling reasons to do so.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:45 am

Got it, Sid. Thanks.
Lavanda wrote:I do not feel confident that the UK government knows what it wants out of Brexit, nor how to get it.
The British govt. didn't (and presumably doesn't) want Brexit, so the uncertainty is not surprising really. The Spanish govt., on the other hand, seems to be making it pretty clear what it wants out of Brexit lately, and I have absolute confidence also that the Spanish govt. fully intends to use Brexit to make life as difficult for as many people as possible - because in my experience that's what it does best anyway.
I'm as disappointed about Brexit as everyone else, but becoming a Spanish citizen? No thank you.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Based on my own personal experience I would suggest that it would probably be better to ' wait and see' before applying for Spanish Nationality, certainly enquire about the possibility, however be careful who you ask,it really depends on how different laws etc. are interpreted .
And if you seek advice from a Solicitor/Gestor/Accountant/Estate Agent etc. who are remunerated and motivated by fees and commissions, then be careful that they don't see it as a little money earner and charge you silly fees for something that you can probably find out for free here on A.Com.!

If you become a Spanish Citizen, then you become just that and will have to comply with the laws as everyone else does, ie. property inheritance.
I'm very keen to stay here in Spain and right at this moment I can only see it becoming more difficult to live in UK, having said that I repeat that I'm very proud to be British and it would take a lot to make me sell my soul to Spain.
It really is up to the individual to decide what is best for them and everyone really knows if they give it careful thought.

Could I also suggest that anyone who has worked in Spain ,even if only for a short time,should apply now for their Spanish pension if they are of the correct age, it is not about the amount of money that you would receive, it's about the elevated status you receive and could be beneficial for matters like medical attention.etc.
I know I may come across sometimes as very 'laid back' , however I'm also a very serious person and I try my best to pass on information that I consider to be correct and of use to members, I hope that someone finds it helpful.
Regards,
Gordon