Spanish Nationality?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Nationality?

Postby Lavanda » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Good advice and thoughts from everyone, thanks. I am only thinking and finding out about the Spanish nationality option at the moment and will not rush into anything. In my family we are simply not Nationalistic at all. My parents were German and became British. All their children grew up bi-lingual and not really 'belonging' to either place. My sister has dual-nationality. My brother, who has a house France, has just applied for German nationality — but I really don't care for all this 'National' stuff at all. Incidentally, I have a German friend who has lived and studied and worked in London for 15 years who is applying for British nationality. I think more people are confused and concerned than Governments in Europe — including the UK — realise.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 pm

A British friend of mine (resident in Spain) applied for his pension (UK & Spanish) the correct way (last worked in Spain, so applied through INSS) using a gestor in January last year. His UK pension has been getting paid on time as expected since early last year. His Spanish pension....still waiting to even hear if he'll get anything. Not trying to make any point as such, just relaying information.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Lavanda, You seem to have a complicated family ... :lol:

Miro,
I applied for my pension myself at the INSS office, it was quite easy and I don't really see the need to use a Gestor, they were very helpful at the INSS, and did tell me it would take a few months and when I called in to see how they were getting on they showed me the letter sent to UK asking for details and UK did take a long time to reply..probably had to fly a Spanish interpreter in as they do with Doctors for the NHS.. :lol:
The pension that your friend will receive will be backdated to the date he applied, so no loss there, and I don't know anyone else who has had such a long time to wait..?
My point was knowing that some people who are entitled to a Spanish pension have not applied because the amount of money involved is low,should 'think outside the box' and act quickly to secure their Spanish pensioner status.

Regards,
Gordon the Bulldog... :D

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:48 pm

I personally would not have used a gestor either, and I've advised my friend to take matters into his own hands, which I believe he is going to do now, because he's not getting anywhere with the gestor. The thing is, he has spoken to the UK pensions people, and they say they sent all necessary paperwork back to Spain months ago. Who knows? They're sending duplicates to him direct, for him to take to the INSS.

Sorry for thread digress....

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:02 pm

So do you get free healthcare drawing whatever small Spanish pension or is it purely dependent on which country you last worked in and contributed to prior to your retirement? Or is it academic and only depends on your nationality.?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Lavanda,
Sorry I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread, just adding thoughts, it is possible that being a 'Spanish Pensioner' could benefit those entitled to an enhanced status, maybe without having to take Spanish Nationality.
Olive...
At the moment it is a joint decision between the 2 countries, however that could change and my point is that having a Spanish pension is a 'little safeguard', which I've been led to understand would entitle a 'Spanish Pensioner' to similar medical entitlements etc as a 'Native of Spain'.( not more pension though )
Also the entitlement period for qualifying could change when Brexit kicks in , so I'm suggesting that those entitled should take advantage now.

I've personally probably paid more into the Spanish system in social security payments and taxes than many Spanish locals, certainly agricultural workers. :(
Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Gasman wrote:So I did the test - I might just apply ... here is the result - 85%
<FELICIDADES! HAS COMPLETADO TU Test de Nacionalidad Española 1 (200 preguntas). TUS RESPUESTAS CORRECTAS HAN SIDO 197 DE 200. EL PROCENTAJE DE ACIERTOS HA SIDO DEL MÁS DEL 80% >
Blimey, you must have some patience to trawl through all 200 questions. I have done 50 with a pass rate of 80% so far .... don't think I can be bothered to do the rest though.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:06 pm

I don't think you are hi-jacking the thread, Benidorm, as I think an issue such as this needs to be 'talked around a bit'. The quiz/exam is interesting just from the point of view about what is my general knowledge about the country in which I am living is like. I shall do it 'for fun' when I get a spare day or so. Ha! Ha!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm

If it was me id think very long and hard before i gave up my British nationality, i can definitely say that a Spanish person living in the Uk who renounces his nationality in favour of taking a British nationality will lose his Spanish nationality..Spain does not allow dual nationality..

Gordon i couldn't agree with you more, selling your soul is exactly what it feels like to renounce your nationality. I realy don't care how long a person lives in another country because like my hubby who has been in the Uk for 37 years his heart and soul will always be Spanish and he has and will always be patriotic to Spain...so yes, everyone who has any intention of denouncing their nationality should give it very careful thought...

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:12 am

Not actually correct Pamela1, Spain does allow its nationals to hold dual nationality. It's the other way round where, apart from a few exceptions such as South American nationals, Spain itself will not grant dual nationality.

Parilla

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 am

So, once you become a Spanish citizen....You could then apply for UK citizenship, and have dual nationality? :wtf:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am

Things may get even more complicated if and when the war between Spain and the UK breaks out !!!!

anyroads

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 am

Good Morning Lavanda, Miro, Pamela1, Wicksey and Uncle Tom Cobley and All. :D

Obviously many people are giving deep thought about the possibility of obtaining Spanish Nationality, however I would urge everyone to tread carefully before actually implementing this procedure .
It may seem like a 'quick fix' but long term it could create even more problems.

Being 'Blessed' with Dyslexia I have found that all problems are multi faceted and it is most important to investigate every surface of the problem to arrive at the correct answer.
What I mean is that I've found that every problem does have a solution, sometimes it takes a lot of searching to locate the correct key to unlock it, but patience and perseverance need to be practiced before committing to anything.
I build mind scenarios with my problems, looking at every aspect, inside out ,upside down etc.until I'm happy that I've found what I consider the correct answer and solution, so may I suggest that others do the same ?

So, stay calm, enjoy your lives, think about Today, ponder on Tomorrow, but forget Yesterday....

I hope all that makes sense to some... :think:

Regards,
Gordon the Old Owl... :wave:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 am

[quote="Parilla"]Not actually correct Pamela1, Spain does allow its nationals to hold dual nationality. It's the other way round where, apart from a few exceptions such as South American nationals, Spain itself will not grant dual nationality.

Parilla[/quote

Sorry i am correct.if a Spanish person living in the uk renounces their Spanish nationality in order to be a british citerzen then they lose their Spanish nationality!...i know because it happened to a relative...

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:12 am

I probably put the point a bit clumsily Pamela1, but what I mean is that there is no need for a Spaniard to renounce Spanish citizenship if applying for dual in the UK. Spain will, I believe, allow their citizens dual nationality.

Parilla

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:11 pm

It's ok Parilla you didn't put the point clumsily at all....When applying for Uk citizenship it means you are denouncing your own nationality as far as some other countries see it and Spain is one of those countries especially if you chose to reside in the country ( uk) where you have taken new citternship...My relative was also under the illusion that she could have duel nationality but soon found out after she became a British citerzen that she has lost her Spanish nationality..After she was granted citerzenship she was contacted by the Uk government telling her that some countries accept dual nationality but it was up to her to contact the Spanish Consulate to ask about her circumstances...She did that and was told Spain does not allow duel nationality and if she wanted her Spanish nationality back she would have to renounce her British nationality...She was heartbroken and some may say that she should have looked into it before she did it but like many people who don't always think she just assumed that she could have both.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:34 pm

I know there is so much contradictory information on line regarding citerzenship, it can be complicated and uk law is no different because for example both my young grandsons have duel citerzenship for the time being....English/Japanese. However when they reach the age of 21 the Uk government requests that they then chose only one nationality.. they both go to Japanese morning school each Sat...They are learning how to read and write in Japanese and are taught Japanese culture and traditions..It enriches their lives and then to have to chose later isn't something I'd want to do...but that is uk law..

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:21 pm

This is quite intriguing Pamela1, and it may be a case of us both being right, but regulations having changed with the passage of time.

One of my golfing partners is Spanish born and bred, retired now but who worked in London for a US company for many years, when he obtained his dual nationality. He said that in this event Spanish citizenship is automatically lost after 3 years, UNLESS a formal declaration of the desire to retain it is made by a personal declaration of that within the 3 years, on something he called I think the Civil Register. He had to make a trip to Madrid to do it in person. Oddly enough, he went to the UK last weekend and one the things on his "stuff to do" list was renew his UK passport !!

When he returns, I'll see if I can find out any more from him. I know this subject doesn't affect either of us, but little unsolved enigmas like this always stick in the back of my mind - I'd like to have an explanation so I can kick it out, and leave room in my limited memory bank for other interesting tit bits.

Parilla

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:43 pm

You are correct Parilla

Dual citizenship is permitted for all Spaniards by origin, as long as they declare their will to retain Spanish nationality within three years of the acquisition of another nationality. This requirement is waived for The acquisition of the nationality of an Iberoamerican country, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal, and any other country that Spain may sign a bilateral agreement with.[1][15]

Foreign nationals who acquire Spanish nationality must renounce their previous nationality, unless they are natural-born citizens of an Iberoamerican country, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:04 pm

In that case, there are two types of Spanish citizen: one natural born, and one foreign born. Not considered equal, it seems. I personally can't see the point in becoming a second class citizen of a country that will still classify me as a foreigner, at the expense of forfeiting my original citizenship. Perhaps if I was a political refugee, but over Brexit?