Ryanair or Ryan nightmare.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Ryanair or Ryan nightmare.

Postby costakid » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:32 pm

I had my 1st delay in 5 years with Ryanair on Thursday evening. 1 hour late arriving and then another 1.30 delay on the plane as they let 6 people board the plane who should have been on another flight. How this happened i don’t know but it caused massive security issue.
Ryanair blamed the staff at the boarding gate but you have to show your boarding card at the plane as well. They actually got on the plane and were seated. It came to light when someone else said your in my seat.
Both flight were 15 minutes apart and going to same UK airport. Massive breach of security system.

wollie
Resident

Re: Ryanair or Ryan nightmare.

Postby wollie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:42 pm

If its your first delay in 5 years you seem to be doing ok. The boarding thing likely the people at the gate but when they were the line they were going to get on the plane. It seems the scanners are not for individual flights.
I do understand where your coming from but on the scale of things not too serious. Make a bit of a fuss and you may get a free coffee, i think the only way we can complain is expensive call.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:43 am

I think somebody getting on a plane who shouldn't be on it is about as serious as it gets. I'm a Ryanair fan, but they need a good kick up the backside for this, and I sense over the last year or so they've dropped standards in a few areas, taken their eye off the ball. I'm guessing this was at Malaga costakid, in which case I'm not surprised, security there is hopeless. There is almost free passage for any one to get airside from the arrivals area.

Parilla

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:24 am

"There is almost free passage for any one to get airside from the arrivals area"

I think this is the way its supposed to be once you have cleared security it is supposed to be as normal as walking the street.
The security has nothing to do with Ryanair and they got through the gate to board a Ryanair plane, to me the only error here were the people got in the wrong queue and we cannot expect airline to double check every boarding pass after the system has scanned same.
It is unlikely that it is possible for the scanner to recognoise the individual number considering there are so many.

I did notice a few weeks ago that security flying out of Malaga was very strict with traffic and will now ask on new thread for advise.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 am

It is the fault of the gate and the Ryanair staff. They both let 6 people with luggage board a plane by mistake. Whats the point of checking the boarding pass as you get on the plane if you not actually checking it ad only going through the motions.

Yes it was Malaga.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:58 am

It may be more serious than i think as if i were on the plane i likely be *beep* too.
You should possibly make a written complaint, i am not sure if its Airport staff or
Ryanair staff who check at gate.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:06 pm

We fly internal flights with Vueling and they barely look at your ID. Being an internal flight there is no passport control and last time we flew in March they didn't even look at my OH's passport when we were boarding, so we could have been anyone! No-one on board checks our boarding passes as we get on either, so they are barely looked at although I thought they were scanned by the staff at the gate.

The only times they've been scrutinised is when someone has sat in our seats (happened twice). They just sit there shrugging saying 'es igual' when we point out they're in our seats, and no it isn't 'igual' when we have paid for a window seat and Mr "@rshole' has a ticket for the aisle seat ....haha!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:23 pm

This is not a security problem but a stupidity and inconvenience problem.

All passengers had cleared security and passport control. Had the dolts who boarded your plane not got off the plane, their correct flight would have unloaded their hold bags (if applicable) and taken off. No worse than a no show. Your flight would have two stupid passengers but whose bodies and carry on bags had both been screened and approved for flying.

The real security fail is if a plane takes off with hold bags but not their owners.

It's a Ryanair training and customer service problem.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 am

Afraid I have to disagree, I think it is a very big security problem. Anyone can get off a bus outside the building, walk through the arrivals area, walk through the supposedly guarded doors and be airside with no passport, no ticket, no screening of bodies or bags. Not my idea of good security.

Parilla

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon May 01, 2017 8:55 am

wollie wrote:"There is almost free passage for any one to get airside from the arrivals area"

I think this is the way its supposed to be once you have cleared security it is supposed to be as normal as walking the street.
I think you missed Parilla's point, Wollie: from the arrivals area at AGP, anyone can pretty much walk in and get airside without passing security. There are sometimes security people around to stop you from doing so - but not often.
But back to the point about Ryanair boarding people on the wrong flight: I'm not sure my boarding pass has always been scanned again at the gate, maybe just physically glanced at, but either way, I too would regard the airline staff allowing passengers on the wrong plane a major security breach. I may quite like the idea of buying a ticket to, say, London but then deciding to board a flight to New York, just for a laugh, but I don't really like the idea that it's so easy for nobody to actually know who is on a particular flight - not in this day and age. The fact that the two flights in question were bound for the same destination at about the same time is irrelevant really - the authorities at the destination are supposed to know exactly who is arriving and when.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

Parilla wrote:Afraid I have to disagree, I think it is a very big security problem. Anyone can get off a bus outside the building, walk through the arrivals area, walk through the supposedly guarded doors and be airside with no passport, no ticket, no screening of bodies or bags. Not my idea of good security.

Parilla
That's an airport issue, not a Ryanair issue. The OP was making a point about Ryanair - not AGP.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon May 01, 2017 10:11 am

ashtondav wrote:
Parilla wrote:Afraid I have to disagree, I think it is a very big security problem. Anyone can get off a bus outside the building, walk through the arrivals area, walk through the supposedly guarded doors and be airside with no passport, no ticket, no screening of bodies or bags. Not my idea of good security.

Parilla
That's an airport issue, not a Ryanair issue. The OP was making a point about Ryanair - not AGP.
No its not. It is both of them. The airport staff check your passport and boarding card at the gate before you go down to the plane and on all Ryanair flights there staff check again as you board the plane. It is the fault of Malaga staff and the airline as they both missed it. Also 6 people not 1 got on. Massive breach of security in my mind. I

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon May 01, 2017 10:16 am

Of course it is Ryanair's responsibility to make sure no unauthorized individuals can enter the airplane regardless the security level of the airport. The Ryanair sheeple are even worse than the Apple sheeple.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 am

What are sheeple and what's Apple got to do with it?
As far as I know, the staff who check boarding passes at the gate work for either Ryanair or their local agents, not for the airport authority - but it doesn't matter who is guilty, either way it's a serious security breach, isn't it?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 am

I do not think its a security issue at all just a genuine error by the person at the gate and the persons traveling, most people are able to read their flight number and do go to the correct gate, the fact that that it happened 6 times does give me a bit of concern as the OP said there were 6 people i think.
The board pass is scanned at security so ok there, the passport is checked at entrance to terminal ok there, both are checked at gate (to me this is the only error that took place) the steward on the airline really only checks the seat number and guides the person which is necessary on larger aircraft.
Personally i do not think it necessary to check passports at airport entrance and logistically pretty well impossible, can you imagine the queues at airports around the world.
I do understand where the OP is coming from and it was a big inconvenience but for me that's all.
I hope the OP sends an email to AGP and to Ryanair as likely a few on here be interested in reply including myself.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon May 01, 2017 1:00 pm

I would argue it's the passengers responsibility to get on the right flight. It seems a pretty basic brain function if you want to travel!

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Miro wrote:What are sheeple and what's Apple got to do with it?
As defined by Merriam-Webster:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sheeple
Definition of sheeple

informal

: people who are docile, compliant, or easily influenced : people likened to sheep
James Nichols, who ran the family farm here, stamped dollar bills with red ink in protest against currency and told his neighbors that they were “sheeple” for obeying authority like livestock. — Sara Rimer and James Bennet
Apple's debuted a battery case for the juice-sucking iPhone—an ungainly lumpy case the sheeple will happily shell out $99 for. — Doug Criss

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon May 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Actually, can you get to the gates from the arrivals hall? I thought you could only get access to the baggage hall and car hire desks. I can't recall seeing how you could get back through the one way doors to the gates. Am I mistaken? Passports are an irrelevance security wise as anyone in the Shengan are does not need a passport, same as for internal flights.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon May 01, 2017 2:47 pm

wollie wrote:I do not think its a security issue at all just a genuine error by the person at the gate and the persons traveling, most people are able to read their flight number and do go to the correct gate
It wasn't a security issue because the people in question turned out to be idiots rather than terrorists. The fact that people who are not booked on a specific flight can nevertheless board the plane is a security issue in any language. The fact that it caused a 1.5 hour delay suggests someone in charge thought it was a major breach too.
wollie wrote:both (passport & boarding pass) are checked at gate

Obviously they either weren't both checked, or the scanners used don't actually tally passengers' passport and / or boarding passes with the flight manifest - which is a serious security breach in any language.
wollie wrote:Personally I do not think it necessary to check passports at airport entrance

Never ever had my passport checked when entering an airport - anywhere in the world. Only when checking in for a flight, or since the days of online check-in, passing through security.
ashtondav wrote:I would argue it's the passengers responsibility to get on the right flight. It seems a pretty basic brain function if you want to travel!
No, it's the passengers' responsibility to get to the right boarding gate, but if they go to the wrong one, it's absolutely the responsibility of the staff there to send them away. Only boarding passengers who are actually booked on that flight is a pretty basic brain function too!

Flexo, I thought your "Ryanair sheeple" referred to Ryanair staff, I realise now you were referring to the passengers, but to be fair, it's not just Ryanair passengers - the vast majority of people when they travel become idiots with seriously diminished brain function, which makes it all the more important for the airport and airlines to check everyone's details carefully & take security seriously.

If passports are not checked at the boarding gate, there's no way of knowing whether a person boarding the airplane is the person named on the boarding pass. It would be very easy for someone to get into the airport using a passport in one name, then mug a passenger in the toilets, take their boarding pass, and board a flight they're not booked on. Not a worry if that person actually intends to reach the destination of the plane, but if they're not bothered.....more than a minor inconvenience. :shock:

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon May 01, 2017 2:57 pm

It is not a security issue. The terrorist, if it is a terrorist, has already got in the airport, passed security and passport control ( if an international flight), and to the gate. If he has got that far he's gonna blow up a plane whether he gets on the Ryanair flight at gate 15 or the Ryanair flight at gate 50. The security fail was at security or passport control. Ryanair staff politely pointing out his correct gate will not defuse his bomb!

The issue is if someone can easily get from the arrivals hall to a gate. Like I say my view is that you can only get access to the baggage hall and car hire if you went through arrivals. Am I wrong on this point?