Still a chance for UK residents

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Stevemul
Resident

Re: Still a chance for UK residents

Postby Stevemul » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Precisely my point but put much more eloquently and less sarcastically!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Of the 751 EU MEPs, the UK elected 73 to the EU Parliament for 2014-1019.
24 of those were UKIP.
How did that happen?
Chris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Parilla wrote:For Manchesteral's benefit :
" Who elected Juncker ? " - Elected members of the European Parliament ( MEPs ).

Who elected those MEPs ? - The electorates of EU member countries, in the same way as they elect Members of their domestic Parliaments, at the ballot box. So I suppose you could say that Farage, for example, was among the body who elected Juncker.

Parilla

Hmm, a bit like Oxfam telling us they will conducting an in house inquiry into the sex scandal, who's watching the watchers !

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 am

It amazes me how the Brexiteers jump on any good news as a result of brexit and bad news is not a direct effect.

We are told that we were told by Cameron and co that the economy would dive after Brexit. Not true, we were given the worst scenario based on the economy in the first part of 2016. We were also told that the EU economy was in terminal decline by the Brexiters, strangely enough, this still is being quoted despite the fact the EU economy is growing at twice the rate of the UK’s

Most experts, although we have been told by those serial liars and backstabbers, Gove and Johnson, that we shouldn’t be listening to these experts, tell us that Brexit is is a cause for the downturn. As well as this, food cost have risen sharply so anybody, apart from those with their Brexit tinted sunglasses, can see that it’s just the result has meant a reduction in living standards but unbelievably, they continue to deny the blindingly obvious.

I see Farage and Kenneth Clark are to appear on question time in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Mark did you do basic Economics. Emerging markets, including those coming out of recession grow the fastest. As with any averages they throw up strange stats. The EU average growth is for 28 countries, including the UK. Looking at individual countries tells a different story. Germany at 1.9% the same as the UK.! poor old France only managed 1.2. at the top of the scale Malta grew 5.5% Romania 4,8% and Spain 3.3%. Sort of a different picture.

I do wonder why Spain's unemployment is still one of the highest in Europe with that growth rate although perhaps for another thread.

Arguing the toss about what happened almost two years ago does not help Expats, nor wishing the UK gets a bad deal. The better the deal the better it will be for Expats.

BTW. most food prices haven't increased, too much competition.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 am

That is fine katy, but it was mentioned on TV this week that the UK trades more with Ireland than a lot of these "emerging markets" put together. Simply a matter of distance !

I voted remain.

If there was another vote, I would be one of the first in the queue to vote leave.

anyroads