No bags at Lidl

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Manchesteral
Resident

No bags at Lidl

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Recently at my local Lidl in Torrox costa there has been shortage of plastic carrier bags, then paper carrier bags, yesterday I was informed that Lidl are now operating a no bags for sale policy, anyone have the same situation in their locality ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: No bags at Lidl

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Why should they sell bags? Just bring your own, which you can buy for 50c at all the other supermarkets. Pity more places refuse to sell them.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:46 am

"Why should they sell bags" ? because they always have done, why stop now, and why not inform their customers of this, I wasn't looking for any petty remarks just pointing out the sudden change of policy !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:10 pm

I can't imagine why you thought my reply was petty - it wasn't.

For your information, Lidl now supplies brown paper bags in two sizes with handles as well as their 50p recyclable plastic carrier bags. No plastic single use bags available,

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:50 pm

In my local Lidl they have informed me that they will no longer provide bags for sale of any description, just pointing it out !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:14 pm

That's my local Lidl but I didn't notice when I was in there the other day as I always take my own bags. I haven't seen the paper ones in there for a while though as they used to be high up by the tills, and I thought they were a good idea.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:07 pm

My local Lidl was doing a roaring trade in paper bags and the raffia bags this afternoon, when all five tills were open :) :)

It's the same Lidl

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Yet they're still using roll after roll of lightweight plastic bags for fruit and vegetables and much of the food on sale is still wrapped in plastic. :crazy:
I So Bella tis you

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 am

El Cid wrote:Why should they sell bags? Just bring your own, which you can buy for 50c at all the other supermarkets. Pity more places refuse to sell them.

Sid
On occasion Sid, I buy a few things when I hadn't planned for it and so don't have my cajas / heavy duty bags with me; I would find it quite inconvenient if there was literally no provision for removing products from the store!

If it really is a store policy not to sell bags (and not just a delivery or stock mess-up) OP should have a look around to see if they are providing small cardboard boxes for customers to recycle - our local Carrefour does this with the type of boxes oranges are delivered in (they also sell various types of bags though).

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm still using one of those raffia 'bags for life' that I bought in 2005 when France stopped giving away plastic bags. Well worth the 50p! I usually have a trolley, even for small shops, so just put the goods back into there and have a supply of bags and a box in the back of my car to decant it into. Mercadona in Velez Malaga have some dinky little half size trolleys and you don't need a coin to use them.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Lidl in mijas costa has the little trolleys - same as the lidl at cartama, and also the lidl at chilches?

as for carrefour los patios, they also have paper bags now.

our lidl at alhaurin de la torre has had paper bags for ages, although they tend to run out of them alot...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:07 pm

I think it's great they don't sell single use plastic bags....I am sure they still sell the bags for life and paper bags...probably just out of stock when you were there.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 am

I keep quite a few bags, which I have had a few years now, in my car. I frequently forget to take them in so fill them up outside. Lidl and Aldi can be a problem because they don't allow baskets outside but luckily their car parks aren't very big so I can usually run outside quickly to get them.

My wife doesn't drive so she always carries a bag in her handbag which folds up very small and which I think she bought in Ikea..

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:Yet they're still using roll after roll of lightweight plastic bags for fruit and vegetables and much of the food on sale is still wrapped in plastic. :crazy:
The rolls of bags for loose fruit and veg in our Lidl are now biodegradable.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi,
Lidl have also removed the Plastic trays in the three pack lettuce packaging...........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:52 pm

markwilding wrote: they don't allow baskets outside
Use a trolley - I particularly like the small ones in Lidl - and you can wheel it all to your car for packing. Useful if you put appropriate things in a cooler box.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.