Horse people TV

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Horse people TV

Postby olive » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:06 pm

Heads up on an interesting programme available on bbc iplayer. Channel bbc4

Three part serial including one on horse people in Andalucia. There is also a documentary on her available

Sorry could have written more butforthe time out posting problem

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Horse people TV

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi olive,
Write out your words of wisdom in Notepad or Notepad ++.........then just copy and paste into your Post..and Send..........beat the system.. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:39 pm

Life is too short for that. I have documentaries available to watch on demand during my exile, with unlimited high speed internet for the first time in fifteen years.. :thumbup:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:32 pm

olive wrote:Heads up on an interesting programme available on bbc iplayer. Channel bbc4

Three part serial including one on horse people in Andalucia. There is also a documentary on her available

Sorry could have written more butforthe time out posting problem

It was originally shown in 2009. I watched the one of Siberia. It was interesting, but I could have done without them showing how that poor mare was kiled by strangulation and blows to the head. Surely even in 2009 they have heard of guns!

I do not know if I am that keen on those shows to be honest. I used to go to the horse shows in Malaga, but stopped because I saw so many horrible things going on. All, as they are called now - the Spanish thoroughbred - from well know studs, like Osborne, the Carthusian monastery where they are said to be unchanged ie no new blood introduced different, the Dominique's.......etc. The treatment of the horse's was awful.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Well I guess it is "horses for courses". Didn't realise it had been on before . The guys in the first episode wouldn't have money to spend on ammunition when a centuries old method of animal dispatch does the job. Still better than the animal travelling hundreds of miles in a vehicle before entering a smell of death abbatoir.

The second episode covered Bull fighting on horseback. Mighty skilful but bull fighting is not my cup of tea. The segment on El Rocio was more interesting. El Rocio is no longer on my bucket list. I once went to Appleby fair but wouldn't recommend that either.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Yes I agree it is better, but I do not like the idea of killing any animal for meat and so do not eat it. I do not know that we can presume that they do not have money for ammunition. There were plenty of vehicles there and bullets do not cost that much and far kinder then strangulation and blows to the head. It certainly wasnt quick and I do not believe just because something has been done for centuries it is OK to continue. I can only hope that by now they kill their horse in a much kinder way.

I have also been to Appleby fair also not my cup of tea and many many animals; horse, donkeys; and oxen die from exhaustion on the El Rocio pilgrimage !!! 100's in fact.

I do not go anywhere where their are horses now I find it too distressing.

But yes the program was interesting and also the life of the presenter Alexandra Tolstoy.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"