Made in China

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Made in China

Postby Lavanda » Tue May 26, 2020 8:32 pm

olive wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:07 pm The losers would be those being exploited.

I cannot agree with this, Olive. Trafficked sex-workers, for example, would be the losers if everyone just carried on as normal. Self-employment in small groups of women funded by credit-free start-ups in India have proved that exploitation CAN be tackled. The only serious problem is most people simply are not concerned enough to make an effort.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue May 26, 2020 8:33 pm

As an aside, what is happening to my 'quotes' options? They seem a bit weird.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed May 27, 2020 6:19 am

I have corrected the quote you were trying to make but I all quotes seem to have two open quote symbols and no closing ones!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed May 27, 2020 12:00 pm

olive wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:07 pm Just because it is illegal doesnt mean it isnt happening. I agree countries should investigate. Maybe the police do not want to rock the boat. The losers would be those being exploited.

How could a hit team prove someone worked forty hours and got paid minimum wage for much less recorded hours. The gangmasters have it all tied down.
That's the police's job to investigate these crimes if it is slave labour, but I would imagine as with most organised crime it's not an easy process. But as Lavender has already said we play a part too and can boycott certain products, Some people boycott china other something else, One thing I never do is buy anything from the Senegalese street sellers but I do give them money in the hope that it helps them and doesn't go to the person who exploits them

What you are talking about is not slave labour. It's labour law and I 've read about various companies who have fallen foul of the authorities. Sports Direct comes to mind, where staff were supposedly being paid the minimum wage but in fact, due to the fact they were expected to arrive and leave 15-20 minutes before and after their shifts, they were actually being paid less

There are other more sinister cases involving criminal gangs and although much rarer in western Europe, I've read about some that have occurred both here in Spain and UK. However, by definition the fact I know about them is that the police had caught up with the criminals so for the life of me, I can't see how the EU can be blamed for something that is much more prevalent in less developed countries. I would suggest that sharing information amongst countries helps bring down much of which is international crime

The Police not wanting to investigate slave labour is a one of the oddest bits of speculation I've ever heard.

That's why I am sympathetic to Lavender's original point about not buying goods made in China but I just think the argument is not a simple embargo

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu May 28, 2020 8:10 pm

Human trafficing is hugely investigated with interpol and police across europe etc working together. somethig thst was never really mentioned or talked about is now very high profile

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat May 30, 2020 12:55 pm

In the 20 years that I've been here I've never been out of work, and only twice have i had a 'proper' contract.

Places that i have worked have never been inspected, until this year, and that wasnt random - it was a disgruntled employee reported the fact, and an inspector turned up a few weeks later.

Bottom line is money. Its not about slave labour or trafficing, its about working. People want to work. The jobs offered come with a 10 or 20 hour contract, take it or leave it - theres thousands more waiting in line to have any job - even one they have not trained for and have no interest in.

When I put an advert on 'job today' and 'think spain' i had 2-300 applicants per day, and 90% of them didnt read the advert. People want to work and they dont care what job it is as long as it pays.

The owners dont want to pay out what they should, hence they make more profit and can have nice cars and go out every night and holiday in the bahamas 3 x a year.

The only answer is more inspections. More income tax inspections. More health and saftey inspections. Bosses are never going to voluntarily give up the lifestyles that they are accustomed to.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat May 30, 2020 12:59 pm

What about more unions?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat May 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:59 pm What about more unions?
I've never heard of a union in spain.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat May 30, 2020 1:16 pm

I'm pretty sure there are some unions - hubby used to be involved with a timeshare resort on the Costa, & I remember him complaining about the power they had over 'bosses'. A union representative was entitled by law to have x no. of paid days off to attend meetings, but most of them took extra jobs elsewhere instead :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 30, 2020 5:57 pm

There are loads of unions in Spain. Just google it.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 30, 2020 6:08 pm

UGT is the one which seems to have a presence in most towns.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 31, 2020 12:17 pm

The Hotel unions have had a few strikes on the CDSWe were in a hotel in the 80's and the staff were carrying on working. When the bullies (flying pickets) called the staff would hide. Impossible to organise small workforces into unions, same in UK.

Spanish lad is correct although I thought the lack of proper contracts would have improved by now. Friends of ours had a chain of restaurants on CDS. Employed over a 100 workers. Their pay was officially about half of what they actually were paid. Also they did not accrue for redundancy as every 6 months they were transferred to another company and then back again 6 months later.

There are two sides though my friend who I did an exchange with at University her family owned two shoe factories in Elche. When things started to go bad because of cheap shoes being imported her Father needed to cut the workforce. He could not afford the high redundancy payments, struggled on until bankruptcy.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Getting back to cheap Chinese imports and the incorrect labelling. I was organising my clothes and some aside for cleaning. A coat I bought from Hobbs says on label finest Italian cloth. Small label on cleaning instructions says Made in Portugal.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 31, 2020 1:01 pm

Katy,
That label is correct, the cloth ( material ) made in Italy but the garment made in Portugal.

Regards,
Gordon.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun May 31, 2020 1:07 pm

Years ago, when I was living in the Philippines, I asked the maid if there was anything she would like bringing from UK. She really wanted an M & S jacket like one my Mum had when visiting, so I organised it. When it arrived from UK, I read the label - Made in the Philippines !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun May 31, 2020 2:01 pm

Covid 19 won’t last forever. It was Made in China

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 31, 2020 2:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun May 31, 2020 2:56 pm

They make damn good Walls though, Great ones in fact
I So Bella tis you

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 31, 2020 3:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... and great palaces.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 31, 2020 5:26 pm

I was a fan of Bimba and Lola. The company comes from Vigo in Spain. I bought my first bag years and years ago when it was Made in Spain and it was pretty expensive — but as the bag was 'classical' and made of leather, etc, I thought the investment worth it. Over the years the bag was used and used and used. I've now got another Bimba and Lola bag and when I bought it the sales assistant in the Bimba and Lola shop assured me the company was Spanish and the bag was Made in Spain. Recently, I had cause to turn the bag inside out and way down in the lining is a tiny tag, Made in China. OMG. If I am buying a bag at €395 and it is Made in China (as production costs are cheaper) then why is the bag still so expensive? On the one hand, the bag might cost €695 if it was Made in Spain — but the first was wasn't. I am inclined to believe that the cheaper costs of production are not always passed on to the consumer in the luxury brand range. A Rolex still costs and arm and a leg and, presumably, Mark's Burberry garment was not a market stall price. I suspect that the company owners and share holders are making maney out of the cheaper production costs which makes buying Made in China even more morally difficult for me.