Premium Bonds

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Unicorn
Resident

Premium Bonds

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:58 pm

I may be telling everybody something they already know but here we go.

Prior to lockdown, beginning of March, I wanted to take out some Premium Bonds. I called them, they said I needed a password and they would send me a form to sign, send back to them, then they send the password. All by post. I asked if they would pay into a Spanish bank account, no problem, they said.
Anyway all this took nearly 3 months, and then I get the password. But to take money out online you need a UK mobile so they can send a message. I do not have a UK mobile.
So, I call them. They agree to transfer some money, so I say OK, Spanish bank account. Oh no they say. That policy has changed, we can only pay into a UK account. Only if you have used that Spanish account account before,although their website says differently.

So we transfer it into a UK account I just had, luckily. Getting that transferred was another nightmare, the transfer was only done yesterday. So beginning of March to yesterday, God bless the technical age, eh?

Luckily I did not need the money for anything time sensitive, but I would advise anyone with Premium Bonds to get themselves a password just in case.

This may help someone.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Premium Bonds

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:42 am

all call centres are blaming covid.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:33 pm

True it should be called NOT working from home. I had a speeding fine in March, paid promptly and sent back licence. Had various standard letters saying I had not done anything. Contact phone numbers all giving Covid info and stating they were not taking calls.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:56 pm

Who mentioned working from home, or otherwise. I haven't a clue if any of the many I spoke to were, in fact I know twice Barclays were in their offices.

I was at home, if it helps.Not working.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Also, despite having had bonds for nearly 50 years, they still wanted proof of ID and address (countersigned by my gestoria) before allowing a top up recently and friends had the same experience. Not very convenient to do in the middle of lockdown.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:36 pm

Barclays call centre aren’t in a bank really. Just a call centre in Teeside or Northampton....or who knows maybe at home now.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:57 pm

Half of Barclaycard Northampton are working remotely. I have a friend who his high up there.