A hot day in Velez Malaga

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

A hot day in Velez Malaga

Postby firsttango » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Apparently Velez Malaga was the hottest place in Spain today (Sunday) with temperature nudging up just shy of 46 degrees......must say it felt like it

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: A hot day in Velez Malaga

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Only 42.8 deg here, near Cajiz, about half hour ago, now a cool 39.1 deg :think: :think:
Waiting for it to get a bit cooler so we can take our dog for his walk.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Yep has been a scorcher today

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:20 pm

That is some heat! Doesn’t bode well for the future.

I saw that Bilbao was forecast to have 42.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:39 am

Bloody hell, And Velez is not really classed as inland.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47 am

It was just under 42 here yesterday which is the hottest I remember. Thankfully it is back down in the low 30s for the next week.

We watch the Spanish weather programme on Antena at 4pm (ish) and it showed the spike of heat in Bilbao. Quite incredible and for one day only as it was in the 20s the days before and after. I don't like summer at the best of times but it's really too hot for us now. The pool was 33 last night when we went for a dip, so a bit like a warm bath!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:37 pm

Car showed 42 yesterday just above nerja.It was 31 around midnight. whether its cause of all the virus crap but this summer and its heat is really getting on my you know whats. Never thought id say too cold is better than too hot. The enjoyment is draining very quickly

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:27 pm

We got air con fitted in the bedroom about 3 weeks ago. We've been here permanently since 2012 and every Summer we've debated whether to spend what to us is a LOT of money. This year, thanks to lockdown (!) we've saved quite a fair old sum so went for it! I am soooooo glad we did!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am

elusive wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:37 pm Car showed 42 yesterday just above nerja.It was 31 around midnight. whether its cause of all the virus crap but this summer and its heat is really getting on my you know whats. Never thought id say too cold is better than too hot. The enjoyment is draining very quickly
We've been feeling like that for a while elusive. Not sure if it's us getting older :? or if the summers are getting hotter, but we would really like to be somewhere else rather than here for July and August. Unfortunately we can't due to having animals that we cannot leave for more than a week.

We have a general fly/biting insect problem at our house and so cannot even go outside when it is a bit cooler at night. The wasps this year have been awful too, not helped by having a huge wasp nest on an agave leaf that we've just discovered. We usually get a few hanging around the watering cans and cat water bowls but there are dozens at a time on any standing water.

I'm definitely not a happy bunny when it's hot and we just count down the days until it starts to cool down. We came here for the mild winter and longer days of bright daylight, not for the scorching heat of summer :lolno: Thankfully the heat is at its worst for only a couple of months. We had aircon fitted in two room a couple of years back and like IreneD says, we're so glad we did as we couldn't manage without that cool space to escape to.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:25 am

We enjoyed the mild winters but spent the hot summers back in the UK. Now that has been spoiled by the selfish Brexit lot! The 90 day rule next year will mean we can only spend 3 months of the winter in Spain.