What is your new normal?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
olive
Andalucia Guru

What is your new normal?

Postby olive » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:38 pm

I am trying to get to grips with what the new normal means for me. I don’t mean the wearing masks to go in shops and restaurants (where you then take them off). Nor the wearing of gloves or small poly bags to go into a supermarket.

More interested in what people are doing? Going out less? Picking your times. Doing different things. Picnic rather than coffee and tostada perhaps. What are your teavel/ holiday plans for the next twelve months. Mallorca has 50% off discounts to try and bolster trade.

We had a number of trips planned ( not by air as we have a dog) but won’t resume till it gets cooler. My gut feeling is hotels are safer than say a crowded French market. Interestingly our Spanish friends are avoiding going to a nearby town of 4000 people because they have 20 reported new cases.

What is your new normal?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: What is your new normal?

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:55 am

We have always gone out food shopping at the quietest times in the middle of the afternoon as we don't like it busy, so nothing there has changed. In the summer we don't do a lot anyway so for the moment it's much the same for us. It's as autumn/winter approaches that it will start to affect me personally as I usually go out dancing a number of times a week. I cannot see that restarting with social distancing rules and group gatherings not being allowed. I think that's when I will really notice it. Otherwise, we do not go out for coffees, just occasional meals with friends which continues as before.

The thing that is really getting to me is not being able to plan trips. We usually always have a number planned for up to a year in advance, and I must admit I am really fed up now. Losing my cruise next year, and with the company now in administration, I don't think I can afford to go again as they were so well priced compared to other lines which has really disappointed me. As this continues, I wonder how many more travel companies are going to be out of business.

We are hoping to have a few short breaks away within Andalucia in the coming months but won't book until the last minute, but I am looking at what accommodation is available on Airbnb. Doesn't seem to be a lot of choice and the house we usually rent in the Canaries once or twice a year has stopped taking people for the moment, so we've been moved to another place for our trip this winter. It's the only holiday we have left after everything else was cancelled and I am keeping everything crossed we get to go!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Nothing has changed for us really, neither at home or work - apart from the mask wearing.

We are still going out shopping (larios centre was packed last friday, as was los patios carrefour) we tend to go after our shift that ends at 1600, as malaga is only "around the corner".

Driving through the coast road from torrox to la cala del moral, and along the coast into el palo and the port etc... everything looks totally normal apart from the masks...people everywhere, struggling to find parking, just like normal :lol:

We are still going to our favorite resturants, even the ones 30+ km away, and they are as packed as usual. We even had to make a reservation the second time, as the first time we only got in because we knew the owners - the place was fully reserved on the roof terrace and indoors :eek: that must be a good 100-120 people.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:56 pm

We have carried on more or less the same. Probably a bit less shopping for non essentials as hate the masks. Not sure what the rules are about bubbles etc. We have seen the same friends and visited them too but mainly distanced in gardens. Met friends in London but outside in Covent Garden. Missed all the social events that happen aren’t here in Summer.

Disappointing about holidays, missed Miami, Nice and Costa de La Luz. Probably our France trip soon as they are set to reciprocate with quarantine.
We did stay 3 nights in a Spa hotel on the coast. Felt almost normal except rooms weren’t serviced, only every 5 days. Can’t see the point of that but an advantage for the hotel. If we ran out of coffee etc. Had to collect it at reception. Breakfast had to be ordered the evening before. To be fair we did get a £320 per night room for £120. Spacing good, only staff wore masks not guests.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:19 pm

No different to normal. Bit like wicksey interms of trips had a night away in estepona with a morrisons run added on. But its the heat that is stopping us from going places rather than anything else.always book places last minute so future prebooked trips arent an issue.And the typical summer feeling/look of not having a decent night sleep since june! Going out for walks are restricted more as theres no joy in the heat with a mask on so i dont bother if i can help it We have family here at the moment on hols so trying to think of places to go to that are "cooler" is a struggle. But day to day is no different than b4 march

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:34 pm

Not much different to before for the moment. We went on holiday to the costa Brava with a few days in Barcelona, The decision to go there was Covid based because we wanted to be as close to home as possible while still being on the Mediterranean. We did the normal things like walking and discovering the area. The place seemed quite busy with many French tourists due to its closeness to France,

Apart from that, I do everything as a normal summer. I like to go to the beach in July and August here and there are some benefits because of the restrictions. Kids have to stay close to their parents and cannot play football and people cannot play beach tennis. I go out for drinks and dinner as regularly as other years but no fiestas this year so no concerts, which is a bit of a pain. Their are usually some gems in amongst all the Latina stuff the young ones like. Last year I saw a fantastic Etta James tribute band from Holland, Luckily, we have found some alternatives where live music is played in smaller venues.

I have to start planning for the new school year next week and then I will notice a difference because I will have to limit the amount of students that can enrol.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Hola,

I am not shielding but am actively avoiding crowds; I go to ventas but to meet the odd friend and stay well away at social distance plus. I have been in a few peoples houses, but they are "trusted" friends. I am very conscious that I am a vulnerable person so while I will not take exceptional risks, I believe life has to go on within reason.

I did take a friend to Scotland by car using the Channel Tunnel as I usually do; I felt safe in my car and we didn't stop and use cafes and the like but ate meals etc in the car. We did use hotels but stayed in our room having COVID-19 cleaned it.

My "new norm" is not to go out unless essential or necessary; I am not frightened, just wary and realise that the less people I meet, the less likely I am to get COVID-19. During lockdown I went out every fortnight for food, staying in the rest of the time. Now I take the dogs out nearly every day because I can and I don't come within five metres of anyone else normally.

I will probably continue in the same vein until there is a vaccine or the pandemic decreases dramatically

Davexf

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 am

Not much has changed apart from masks and not going to really busy restaurants. We met friends in Fuengirola last week, travelled on train from Malaga. Train was not over busy but Fuengirola was very quiet. The biggest problem is we like to walk but I can't walk big distances in a mask. Cabopino was deadly quiet yesterday in port restaurants but beach was crazy busy. Hope the walking in masks ends soon.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:12 am

Luckily being up in the campo we can still walk every evening without masks as there's no-one around. If we didn't march up and down the hills for half an hour every night I wouldn't be getting any exercise at all. Otherwise I agree that walking around in town in masks in this heat is not pleasant. Places we've eaten recently have been packed full of people. I don't think they've reduced the numbers of tables at all if that rule is still in place .... I'm not sure.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:35 pm

costakid wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 am Not much has changed apart from masks and not going to really busy restaurants. We met friends in Fuengirola last week, travelled on train from Malaga. Train was not over busy but Fuengirola was very quiet. The biggest problem is we like to walk but I can't walk big distances in a mask. Cabopino was deadly quiet yesterday in port restaurants but beach was crazy busy. Hope the walking in masks ends soon.
Sounds like a good time to be there, are all the restaurants open? Can't see the point of the masks, haven't worked so far with all the new cases.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:23 pm

The restaurants here are open as usual although on a walk on the paseo the other day, some were fairly empty at lunchtime.

I think some of the outbreaks here are being put down to social and family gatherings when people aren't likely to be wearing masks. There were nightclubs open until recently and I don't think people were wearing masks or social distancing that much. I've read that many of the cases are now in younger people and on Spanish news it showed how the average age of those infected is now only 38 compared to 60 at the height of the lockdown. There have also been outbreaks in food processing factories or farming areas when they say that the workers (particularly where foreign workers are used) live in close contact and it has spread more easily.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:30 pm

katy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:35 pm
costakid wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 am Not much has changed apart from masks and not going to really busy restaurants. We met friends in Fuengirola last week, travelled on train from Malaga. Train was not over busy but Fuengirola was very quiet. The biggest problem is we like to walk but I can't walk big distances in a mask. Cabopino was deadly quiet yesterday in port restaurants but beach was crazy busy. Hope the walking in masks ends soon.
Sounds like a good time to be there, are all the restaurants open? Can't see the point of the masks, haven't worked so far with all the new cases.
most places are open in malaga city. Fuengirola near Rest. Colon was quiet. Cabopino port was dead but beach was crazy busy. Andys was steady all day.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:24 pm

I was up in Granada today. Yes its August and alot of places close for the month yet still is was very quiet. A few tourists about but a huge amount of places closed and the main tourist areas very quiet.even the pickpockets with their sprigs looked bored!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Sprigs?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:21 pm

Sprigs of "lucky" heather/ lavender or whatever they can thrust on you whilst their accomplice removes your purse/ wallet.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks. Yes I have seen them. Abut six years ago they stole Mrs olive’s purse in Granada. Even zipped bag back up to buy them time.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 am

I have been approached by them on a few occasions in Granada but the very first time was many years ago outside of the Alhambra in the days when very few tourists ventured as far as Granada, it was pay at the door days and queues didn't exist. There were two women both trying to sell me their sprigs of lavender but a hands on fight broke out between them, it turned out they were not working together and they were arguing over who got their first.. :lol: :lol: That memory comes out of the woodwork each time we have been approached since..
Olive was your wife wearing a back pack? i notice many people wearing them but since someone attempted to rob my sister in Madrid while she stood browsing through a shop window i have been very wary of how easy they are to get into and personally i wouldn't feel my money was safe on my back where i can't see what is happening behind me.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:03 pm

I see many people wearing their back packs on their fronts due to the risk of pickpockets. At least during the strictest times of lockdown, no-one got close enough to rob you! Now it seems like it's back to normal with people reaching around in front of you for things in the shops without even an excuse me/perdoneme.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 am I have been approached by them on a few occasions in Granada but the very first time was many years ago outside of the Alhambra in the days when very few tourists ventured as far as Granada, it was pay at the door days and queues didn't exist. There were two women both trying to sell me their sprigs of lavender but a hands on fight broke out between them, it turned out they were not working together and they were arguing over who got their first.. :lol: :lol: That memory comes out of the woodwork each time we have been approached since..
Olive was your wife wearing a back pack? i notice many people wearing them but since someone attempted to rob my sister in Madrid while she stood browsing through a shop window i have been very wary of how easy they are to get into and personally i wouldn't feel my money was safe on my back where i can't see what is happening behind me.
She was pushing a disabled relative in wheelchair. Handbag tight between both handlebars and zipped and in sight. We were aware the £#@&ers were operating in Granada. Very skilled operators. Although there was 200 euros the real hassle was replacing and stopping cards and getting a new passport.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:29 pm

Wow! very skilled indeed, what chance does anyone have if they want to get at your belongings it seems that they will... A real pain when it's cards, passport etc on top of the cash being stolen.