Lingua Franca Espana

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Lingua Franca Espana

Postby olive » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:03 pm

I missed this on Spanish TV.

Is the article correct?

https://news.yahoo.com/spain-government ... lbPbQYmuqt

I would have thought Spanish would be a fundamental first language in all provinces but still respecting regional languages. The Uk manages quite well with Welsh available for anyone ringing government departments. I know Iran isn’t a good comparison but there although only about 50% apparently speak Farsi as their first tongue, it is the national language and is the only language used by officialdom and in schools up to a certain age ( There is an excellent Art of Persia available on iplayer which prompted me to google the language (s) of Iran. But I digress.

Anyone been following this in Spain and got a view?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Lingua Franca Espana

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:25 am

It has been on Telediario. Sánchez is agreeing to all the demands of the Catalans so that they will support him in passing the budget.

There have been many demonstrations about this but the aim of this magalomaniac is to stay in power at all costs even if it results in the destruction of the country.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:56 am

I wouldn't it put as strong as that. It is actually democracy at work and is very typical in a multi-party country. I certainly prefer it done this way rather than the true anti-democratic actions of the Catalans of a couple of years ago. While it might be the case that in some parts of Spain they prefer absolute rule by one party, up here in the nationalist Basque Country, they don't. This same scenario could happen in many permutations so I am sure those Vox voters, who shout foul this time round, will do exactly the same thing should they hold some balance of power in the near future. The PP have had no qualms conceding power to the Nationalist parties in the past to help them .

Having said that, It do not agree with this policy at all because as I see it, it will discriminate against people who don't speak these languages. .It has already gone further than Spanish being the main language because reginal languages have equal status. There are some logical reasons for this because it protects the people who want to use their language of choice while using public services.

At least in Catalonia and Galicia, the languages are easier to learn due to their many similarities to Spanish. However Basque doesn't have this benefit as well as also having quite a few different dialects

The problem might be that if is not constitutionally legal, the right of centre parties might contest it in court at a later date and create more unrest.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:59 pm

I found on visits to Catalonia it was not too difficult to read some of the language as it almost seemed to be a mix of Spanish and French. In Galicia the language seemed to be more Portuguese-influenced, which although looks similar to Spanish is pronounced entirely differently.

When we visited Bilbao many years back we had a phrase book as the Basque is totally different to any other language, as you say Mark. We found the road signage in Basque first and on things like the public toilets making it hard to comprehend. When we spoke Spanish to people we were sure they didn't like it .... either that or they were just unfriendly people we happened to speak to! Our experience on that trip has made us reluctant to ever return. Perhaps we were just unlucky.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Seems to be a trend worldwide of small states\provinces returning to their ancestors language. I think it is good that these are preserved but not as a main language. Narrowing young people's choices in careers having only a minority language. (Unless they want to stay around their home for the rest of their life) No way for a forward looking Nation like Spain to go having 3 or 4 different languages.
As my Dutch relatives and Norwegian friends say we have to speak English well as hardly anyone speaks our language. Many Carribean islands have their own languages but most speak English/Dutch/French well, according to which country colonised them. Similar Africa.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:48 pm

There was an Icelandic tv programme on last night - sounded like someone clearing phlegm whilst saying "Aaaaaaaaaah"!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.