Spanish postal service

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
malcolm_lake
Tourist

Spanish postal service

Postby malcolm_lake » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:42 pm

1. How much does a stamp cost for postage within Europe
2. Can the same stamps be used for postage to England now that the United Kingdom has left the European Union
Hopefully someone out there has the answer

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Spanish postal service

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm

Let me share my story of my first visit to the Spanish Post Office

ME. 1 stamp to Germany for a letter please (3 a4 pages folded in a letter envelope).
THEM. We need to weigh it
ME It's 3 pages, it weighs about 40 grams at most
THEM I have to check
ME sure
THEM it's 30 grams so 1.20 (i actually don't remember the price)
ME Great can I have 10 stamps the same as I do this regularly and saves me queuing
THEM No
ME Why?
THEM well 1. the price might change in a few weeks and 2 I don't have the stamps I will have to stamp this letter with a 80c and 40c stamp

I know that doesn't help you but I do know that at time the price was by zones and didn't matter if it was EU or not.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:15 pm

"Spanish postal service" is an oxymoron!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:21 pm

Also, there is an extra charge for coloured enveoçlopes and non-standard size envelopes.
Sometimes makes posting a birthday or Xmas card expensive.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 pm

Most expensive thing about posting cards is that a lot go missing...

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 pm Most expensive thing about posting cards is that a lot go missing...
All the cards we have posted have always, so far, reached their destination.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:46 pm

The main problem is stuff getting sent from the UK to here. About 50% gets through, taking from a few days to a couple of months - and we are in town, not out in the campo. Of course there could be more go missing than we know about as not everyone likes to ask if we got their card!

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:02 pm

https://www.correos.es/es/es/tarifas

On this web page choose where you are sending the letter from and click the link. The price in Spain is not universal so prices from canaries are different than the peninsula. It opens a PDF then scroll down to page 5 of the PDF for the price of a normal letter....there is a table depending on the weight of the letter.

UK is treated the same as the rest of Europe price wise. Well it is until the postal service realise that clearing UK customs will take longer and requires customs declarations etc for packets. That resulting extra admin and delays will of course incur charges which the consumer will have to pay for. The same will be true for postal items leaving the UK. Did Boris mention this on the side of the bus? Sorry I forgot the bus only contained lies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:29 pm

gerryh wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm All the cards we have posted have always, so far, reached their destination.
Cheers
Gerry
Good for you Gerry. I sent my passport back to the UK to get a new one. It was sent Certificado. That was 3 weeks ago. No sign of it being delivered yet and all the Correos tracking site says is that it is on its way.

Sid

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:38 pm

I sent 3 registered letters to 2 different EU countries in November. All arrived...receiver has them. However the Correos tracking system still shows as undelivered...In transit from the international office at the country of origin. (OR words to that effect)

Also in some countries you can check the local postal service with the correos tracking reference and it will give you the movements within the receiving country. In my case 1 of the countries shows they have the letter but not yet delivered. The other country still is not showing it has arrived to the country.

I am still receiving post sent to me in November. This I received an Xmas card this week post marked Nov 23 from the Guernsey. All in all the postal service Europe wide has been a disaster since early November. I saw Royal Mail got a new boss...his first task talk to the unions. If the unions aren't careful everyone will use DHL and the union members will be without a job

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:26 am

Got to be the worst in europe. I really cant see another country being as bad. Lots of parcels go missing.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:42 am

El Cid wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:29 pm
gerryh wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm All the cards we have posted have always, so far, reached their destination.
Cheers
Gerry
Good for you Gerry. I sent my passport back to the UK to get a new one. It was sent Certificado. That was 3 weeks ago. No sign of it being delivered yet and all the Correos tracking site says is that it is on its way.

Sid
The same thing happened to me when I sent my passport back to the UK for renewal.
The Correos tracking site said that it is was on its way.
Got a message from the passport office to say my new passport was on it's way to me.
So didn't the UK post office inform the Spanish post office that they had delivered my passport?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:11 am

Maybe a daft question but did you check the tracking on the royal mail site?. When ive sent it certificado (only once never again!) After a certain point correos didnt update as you had to then track it on royal mail once it got to the uk.

Lots of probs with correos here. Letters not arriving either way.or they take a month. Certificado sat in malaga for 2 weeks before been sent on to the uk.letters from madrid and la linea taking upto ten days to arrive. A mixture of the manana attitude and under funding? Our local post office is nothing more than a garage manned with a couple of staff drowning in amazon parcels
Last edited by elusive on Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:31 am

See my post above re Royal Mail tracking of Spanish Post....

One of those countries was the UK....and it still shows as at the depot waiting to be delivered. I presume Correos can only report it as delivered if the Royal Mail system sends the information to Correos.

In normal times both the Correos and Royal Mail websites update, just the Royal Mail website has more detail on progress of letter once it is in the UK.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 am

I just checked my package on the RM site. It says the same as the Correos site, ie left Spain 2 weeks ago - no further info.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:25 am

I use this site https://parcelsapp.com for tracking anything with a tracking number.
Tracks the package when it goes by multiple carriers.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:52 am

Mrs Lyric has just had a birthday, the most significant one, her time is up !
I know they are only cards but I also know two were posted 28th December for 11th Jan.

Still waiting.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:36 am

My old passport arrived at the passport office today. Delivered status showing on both Correos and Royal Mail OK.

That's 25 days for a registered letter - not good.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm

One of the two cards was delivered yesterday, 24 days also not good.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Our Xmas cards to the UK took forever to arrive but I'm blaming UK postal service for that. When we used to send and receive regular letters between here and England they used to only take 3 days.