Taxes on gifts ?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Taxes on gifts ?

Postby Ambre Solaire » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:37 pm

Residing in UK if I purchase a gift on A.Spain to be delivered to friend in Spain will she have to pay any tax ? Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Taxes on gifts ?

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:36 pm

There may be a card fee for using your sterling card in the euro zone but no tax if the item hasn’t left Spain.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:48 pm

Do you mean Amazon Spain? The no

If you purchase a gift on Amazon Spain delivered to Amazon Spain then no the receiver in Spain won't have any taxes or duties to pay when the gift arrives at their door.

You can also check Hagglezon.com. This compares the prices across the various amazon countries....just don't order from an Amazon outside the EU. If you order from an Amazon outside the EU then the receiver will have to pay extra charges upon delivery.

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:24 am

Brilliant ! thanks for your prompt replies. It is Amazon Spain. I couldn't remember if I could mention a company name I didnt want my friend to have to pay for her surprise gift !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:45 am

Some reports from people buying on amazon spain that they have faced charges because the product they bought actually came from the uk. So check when you are buying it whos actually selling it.ive bought things off amazon uk in the past and it came from spain when tracking it (sold by amazon)

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:35 am

Good morning thanks for your response. Does that mean if the goods are manufactured in say China but despatched from UK they would be taxable ? How would the tax if applicable be paid on arrival in Spain, on delivery to the driver ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:50 pm

The country they were dispatched from.
A lot of goods these days are made in China.
How the recipient pays the tax depends a lot on how they are delivered.
I had an item, via the postal system, bought from America and I had to pay the postman.
I had another item, via a carrier, also bought from America and had to pay the carrier's agent via multiple form filling and a bank transfer.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:23 pm

I have had a number of Amazon shipments from China and Japan with no problems at all with no extra paperwork. They were less than €50.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:59 pm

I should have added that it also depends on what the stated value is on the customs declaration.
A lot of the Chinese suppliers I use put a low declaration on the paperwork, hence no additional paperwork/ payment.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi Ambre Solaire,
Probably best to chase Amazon to get the Delivery sorted.

"Unable to deliver"........usually means Driver can't be bothered to find the address and as its Saturday I can finish on time.

Or

Your friend live out in a Village and its not on my route.

Unfortunately Couriers in Spain don't go the extra km. The above is from years using Couriers in Spain. Have now resorted to useing a Drop off Point in my local computer shop in town.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:53 pm

Thanks Enrique, I have just read numerous 1* reviews on CE who say the same thing as you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:08 pm

To avoid this happening you can put your phone number as part of your address on Amazon. At least this makes it more likely that the driver will call you to ask for directions. Especially important if you live outside of town.

Amazon offer a large number of collection points in even the smallest places. We use our local post office and they WhatsApp me when something arrives

As for Correos Express, we find they are as good as any of them but it just depends on the individual driver.

Sod

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks El CID we did put friends tel no on it too.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:26 pm

Deliveries do depend less on the company but more on the actual driver. One thing I would add that they should try to deliver the package at least once more before anything doing anything else.

It might be a good idea to speak to Amazon, which you could do via their chat service. Just click for the drop down option for help in English in contact page and get the package sent to a pick up point