Traditional Arts and Crafts.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Traditional Arts and Crafts.

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 pm

I was just wondering if anyone is involved with the older traditional crafts, for instance marquetry, pyrography ( pokerwork ) , macrame. etc ?

I've always been interested in craftwork going right back to when I was a very small child and my Grandfather introduced me to the many seafaring craft pastimes that he'd practised when serving on sailing ships.
I remember the many items that he could produce from knotted string and rope, similar to macrame, treen - -carved wooden items and scrimshaw, originally whale teeth etc., but he used mainly bone.

During 'lock-down' I revived my interest in 'pokerwork' , I still have the various tools needed , unused for many years.
I wasn't sure if I could still produce anything reasonable but I'm pleased to say that after a bit of practicing it's all' coming back to me', maybe not everyone's 'cup of tea', but I really find it absorbing and interesting.

I'm a big believer in keeping active, anyone who knows me will confirm that. :)
And I really would recommend people of all ages to find a pastime craft and have a go, you don't have to be skilled artistically, but the benefits to mind and body are immense.
I observe so many people just totally immersed with phones and computers and it worries me that the real life skills will disappear soon .. :(
Anyway I hope that I'm not boring everyone with my 'old fashioned' approach to life .....

Does anyone happen to know where I could obtain reasonably priced fine rope, twine etc. suitable for macrame projects ?
If anyone needs any help or tips for starting a little hobby or pastime please feel free to contact me, I may be able to help...
Regards,
Crafty Gordon... :wink:
Last edited by BENIDORM on Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Traditional Arts and Crafts.

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:22 pm

I like to 'craft' - my problem is getting the motivation & the free time to co-ordinate ;-) My last project started out as refurbing some garden ornaments, which led on to painting pebbles. I put them to one side while I started to make a cover for my garden swing seat, but that got put aside when my Dad passed away & I ended up with various of his belongings, including his pc & peripherals... no room left to sew :-( When lock down is over (or should that be 'if' ?) then I will be ble to get everything to their new locations & then get the sewing machine up & running again !!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:30 pm

Chrissie....Good to hear about your craft projects . :thumbup:

I'm sure that everyone could have a worthy project to do if they wanted to, it's just about self-motivation, I suspect many people are becoming couch potatoes because of the present situation ?

Regards,
Gordon...Mr.Motivator.. :D

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:59 pm

Love your enthusiasm and motivation Gordon, you are a ray of sunshine, love reading your posts. :) :thumbup:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:03 am

Pamela,
Thank you for your kind words. :thumbup

The past year has been so trying for everyone and nearly every post on the forum and elsewhere seemed to contain the words Covid or Brexit, understandable as both these blights have had immense effect on our lives.
So I'm really happy if I can make a few people smile a little and maybe inspire some to try something different in their lives, I know how easy it is to get into a rut.
I do try not to offend or irritate anyone, but often it requires a little push or some little words of encouragement to launch some into new interests and lifestyles, so if only one person is motivated to make some life changes, then I feel that I've succeeded.
Best Wishes and Kind Thoughts to Everyone,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:45 am

BENIDORM wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:30 pm Chrissie....Good to hear about your craft projects . :thumbup:

I'm sure that everyone could have a worthy project to do if they wanted to, it's just about self-motivation, I suspect many people are becoming couch potatoes because of the present situation ?

Regards,
Gordon...Mr.Motivator.. :D
We are never short of projects. What is in short supply is the motivation. Especially at this time of year. Keeping warm, keeping the house clean especially when it is wet and muddy outside. Roll on the warmer early Spring days.

Got to go. Time for a Brownie (a la Nigella) and morning coffee and watch Politics on the TV in front of a roaring log fire !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:01 pm

It makes you wonder if people in the future will do much handicraft as all you ever see now is them on their phones. Heads down, whether they're walking along the street or at a restaurant, and depressingly the whole family seem to be on them, even the youngest child. It makes me think that the art of conversation is already dead, let alone sitting doing something constructive.

I've had a go at things in the past, knitting, needlework and tried watercolours although I've not got the talent for painting unfortunately. I used to have a keyboard and play that a lot in the 1990s but sold that before I left the UK. There used to be a lovely big shop where I lived full of crafty things and I did quite a lot of cross stitch, buying a kit you could make into a greetings card. You don't seem to see those shops here. My eyes have deteriorated with age (a bit like the rest of me, unfortunately I still cannot walk due to my trapped nerve ..... I've never sat down so much in my life) but it would be nice to do something artistic.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Wicksey, i know what you mean about mobile phones...I bought my little Grandsons what i call melty beads at Christmas, a big tub of them, the idea is to make shapes and designs and then iron over to fuse them together. They loved them and between them they decided everyone in the family needed a coaster to place their cups onto, mine has pride of place on the coffee table and i use it all the time. They also have games machines which quite often get too much attention so i was happy to see them enjoy doing something else. Not all crafts interest them but at least this one did..They also like looking for unusual things in the woods and are always finding bits and pieces so my son bought a metal detector and they have had hrs of fun trying to find treasure.
I too used to knit and i also did cake decorating, now i only decorate cakes for grandsons birthdays, the grown up's no longer eat cakes. It would be nice though to start something new, i had an idea to paint a small pine lamp table and modernise it, something like shabby chic but that didn't turn out well and it put me off from painting a large chest of drawers which are solid and could be made to fit into my updated home instead of replacing them with expensive rubbish. They are now sat in a spare room until i decide what to do.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:08 pm

Wicksey,
I share your concern for the future of the human race, I don't think that many realise that they are already turning into Zombies, I dread to think how many would cope if the internet totally crashed,they wouldn't be able to function... :shock:

As for yourself becoming involved with a craft pastime, well there are many areas that you could explore, you seem to have been more involved with needlwork previously, although I have a general understanding it's not something that I've tried myself, but my Wife did many years ago.
Would you consider trying rug making, either with wool or the traditional 'rag rug' .?
The rag rug, although sounding a bit downmarket is actually very trendy and sort after now.
Very cheap to start with ,you obviously use any unwanted clothing / household to produce them and all you need is piece of rug canvas or hessian , a rugmaking tool or a homemade peg type tool and you are setup.
You should start with a doormat sized mat, probably better to do a random design and you can quite quickly produce a useful and decorative item.
If you look on youtube I think that there are several instructional videos available.

Anyway, if you need any more advice / help please ask, I may be able to at least point you in the right direcion.

Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Wicksey I think they do. There are so many courses offered now they must be viable. I heard of a quilting group in Spain too.
I restored some furniture in Spain but I have never been artistic. Our last villa had old parts so we had a modern lounge except for an antique piece that we took from England. It got a bit sun bleached in Spain. I bought some bits from antique markets in Spain and restored them. When my grandfather sold his home in Spain I kept 10 dining chairs, still have them but now 9. they are very heavy and the carvings on the back are quite crude. We lovingly restored them. I think they are very old. Wish I could ask granddad. Have to have cushions on them as they are fairly low. Fits in with our period house here, wouldn't part with them. I will put a photo on one day if I can manage to do it.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Pamela,
Encouraging children to be creative is great, the problem is competing with the technology available now, it's really difficult to keep their attention on a project.
Metal detecting is also a great hobby, but most important to observe the rules and regulations and I would recommend anyone interested to join a Metal Detecting club.
I've detected in numerous countries including the US, fascinating and can be lucrative if tackled properly.
I've also done dump digging , for old bottles and artefacts, fossil, mineral and shell collecting , I had a shops in Whitby,Scarborough and Bridlington in the 1970's where I sold all kind of handicraft items and fossils and Whitby Jet.
The trouble with me is that I can never have just one hobby, I have to have numerous projects ongoing at any one time, hence my massive collections... :D .
When starting any hobby it can be expensive if you buy kits, far better to try to find your own materials etc.
My first commercial project was actually making small soft toys, more than 50 years ago, I designed a very small figure which we called Glooks, made out of fur fabric ,felt and a round button for a nose.
I sourced the fur fabric- felt from factory off-cuts, either free or very cheap, we really were a little cottage industry, everything was covered in fluff , including me !
We made many 1000's of the Glooks and sold them to market traders and fairground showmen, we were both working full-time jobs at the same time, but after the first year I was able to buy my first new van for cash.
Anyway I hope that I'm encouraging at least a few people to find a hobby or maybe even start a little business...
Regards,
Gordon

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:13 pm

Gordon, your posts are definitely a welcome break away from Covid/Brexit and have stirred up much interest. Interesting about your dump digging, reminded me of my late father working on a bridge over at Manchester during the time when motorways were being laid, he discovered an old dumping site which was grassed over and found lots of old bottles and other items. An old fashioned wash bowl and jug to match still completely intact, he couldn't believe it. My mother still has it displayed on a set of drawers on the landing. :D

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:57 am

I remember rag rugs Gordon, I think they were popular in the 1970s ..... showing my age now :lol:

Other comments reminded me that I have painted quite a lot of our furniture. The TV cabinet, big chest of drawers, 2 bedside tables and my kitchen dresser with a glass cabinet on top. When we first came here we'd bought a number of pine items which were looking dated so I've painted everything but the top in a mushroom colour over the years. I'm glad to see that this style is still on sale at the Oak Furniture shop that advertises on TV. It took ages to do each one, sanding them down and doing 2 coats of undercoat and two of top, but they're still going strong.

I'm not sure it would be called a craft but I do really like building IKEA furniture. We've a very small house and no room for anything more but I really did enjoy planning and building all our kitchen which was the second one I've installed. However that was almost 10 years ago now and I'm not sure I'm physically up to it now. I've always said I could build another kitchen but we need to move house first so we can have a bit of a project. No sign of that happening any time soon I don't think!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Wicksey, i recal the rugs, our house had one and so did many, they were called clippy mats. :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:09 pm

Well..... Great that someone actually remembers 'Rag Rugs', they've actually been around since at least the Victorian times, probably earlier.....
And as with all things they are back again, popular with people living in fashionable 'lofts' etc., and of course much more expensive than in the 70's.

I've had 3 people contact me to say that they have this week started making the rugs and another who has revived an old hobby and made some macrame items...Good !
I often wonder how many more have actually started a new hobby, it would be nice to know.

When I hear that someone has taken up a hobby or collection after reading my posts it makes me feel like writing about other items.Thank You.
I will be back with more suggestions soon.!!

Have a Great Weekend Everyone...
Regards,
Gordon