pollen / Costa Tropical winds

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
olive
Andalucia Guru

pollen / Costa Tropical winds

Postby olive » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:57 pm

We always leave the poniente area each year in may to escape the worst of the pollen season. Primarily olive but also holm oaks and broom.

Leaving Spain or going to the north isn't (currently) an option so we are looking at accommodation on the Costa Tropical within Granada province. While there is still availability. I suspect that when we can travel again more freely that there will be a booking frenzy.

Just asking if anyone knows the prevailing winds in the area in May? Hopefully off the sea! Am I right in thinking that pollen levels will be much lower in Almunecar as an example than inland Granada.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: pollen / Costa Tropical winds

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:20 pm

Well, here near the coast in Torrox we are suffering from allergies as we usually do at this time of year. Not only from olive, but the thousands of mangoes and avocados planted in recent years. Any standing water outside is covered in a film of yellow pollen each morning.

It is often very windy here too, usually from the west but we've had the Levante from the east here this spring as well. You can see from this http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/predicc ... ar-id18017 that the winds are coming at all directions at the moment.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 pm

The winds on the Costa Tropical are generally from east or west. Only with light winds do they go into the south. No sea breezes here. It’s all to do with the very high mountains on either side of the Alborán sea. The weather rules that people who are used to Atlantic weather do not apply. It is all due to small pressure differences on either side of the Straits. It can change 180 degrees in half an hour. Almería is not that different so I doubt that it will get much better for you here.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:41 pm

Last june i spent most of the month blocked up from the olive pollen. You would think it would be better than inland but...
Last edited by elusive on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:25 pm

Oh. Not so encouraging. Our plan B is to ask our doctor for a letter giving permission to travel to northern Spain as per last year.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:01 pm

Olive, is your mask not helping?

I suffer from heyfever, but have noticed that its actually much better with the mask. It doesnt stop it, but i dont suffer as much.

That and daily loratadine tablets.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:20 pm

I don't wear a mask at home though and that's where I sneeze most.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:55 pm

It's worth a try with a mask, but preferably use an N95 or FFP3 mask.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... y-symptoms

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:37 pm

I suffer mainly in the mornings, waking up with it. It affects me sometimes late in the evenings too.

Its strange, we live in the campo, surrounded by trees, but sleep with all the doors and windows closed.

When i lived in town it was much less.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:10 pm

Yes masks help. Been wearing them for years. The proper ones, not the free blue ones. Now no one notices! It is all a question of degree. Using flu as an example. Some people get it and feel a bit under the weather but keep on going. Others can be at deaths door.

Masks dont stop pollen getting in your eyes. Non sufferers have no idea whatsoever of the irritation eyes suffer.

There are steps you can take, some of them quite extreme. Living for two months with windows and doors shut. Drying washing indoors. The obvious course of action is to get away to somewhere with clean air and avoid hospitalisation.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:09 pm

My optician used to tell me that wearing my contact lenses would help to keep the allergens out of my eyes. I usually only wear them when I go out but when I've chopped onions with them in my eyes don't water at all, so it must keep something out.