The hunt for Omega 3..

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

The hunt for Omega 3..

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:14 pm

I've been taking cod liver oil since the middle of the last century, my swimming abilities haven't improved but I think that they've helped my general health.
And for some time I've also self prescribed taking turmeric capsules with black pepper and copper and I really have found the benefit, much less pain in my creaky knees.
I've tried other supplements which didn't seem to help me much so just continued with my old favourites, and I recently started taking curcumin and vitamin D capsules, recommended by a friend, I've not been taking them that long so don't know what beneficial effect, if any, that they've had on me yet.

I've always purchased my supplements from UK , never had any problems with delivery and the price was very realistic, however with the recent extra costs of added taxes and postage I thought I would try to obtain them in Spain.
So I hunted through boat loads of Spanish adverts which seemed really overpriced, but eventually found a good and cheap source of supply, and as always I checked out the company and found that although advertised in Spanish in Spain the company is Polish.
Ok , no problem I thought, I'll give it a go, first it was free delivery for over 60 euros order, fine, I normally bulk buy them anyway.
So ordered and paid , very prompt acknowledgement, in English, and 10 days later my purchases arrived by DHL.

Spot on delivery from DHL, bang on time and a very courteous and friendly deliveryman.

The order was very well packed and the products packed in smart alumimium pots, they were dispatched from Germany and the products were made in Essex :shock: , but no extra charges to pay and first class products.
So sometimes it pays to research more , although I really wasn't expecting it to turn out so well.

I've now switched all of my purchases away from UK, reluctantly.... :(

I'm sure that many expats take similar supplements to me, and may I ask ....Where do you buy them from ?

Saludos
Gordon, Cod liver oil expert... :D

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: The hunt for Omega 3..

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:02 pm

https://www.sanct-bernhard.com/
I use their shop on Torrox Costa but they do mail order. I buy their superstrength Omega 3 and Vit D. I know I am seriously deficient in D so take one a day but you can overdose on it. I pay for a test at an analysis clinic every few years to check my levels as the NHS won't do it here.

If you need magnesium the usual stuff they sell isn't absorbed well and can upset your stomach. Thankfully you can get the one I've been recommended here on Amazon
https://www.amazon.es/Doctors-Best-Abso ... 273&sr=8-2

I used to use Annis Vital in the days when they had a shop in Nerja but they are available online
https://www.annisvitalshop.com/en/
My private Dr always used their range and I think it is good quality.

I'm not a hypochondriac, I have been tested for deficiencies as I have an underactive thyroid which tends to effect absorption of vitamins and minerals from food.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:34 am

Thank you Wicksey, :wave:

And thank you for your comprehensive list of supplement suppliers, I'll check them out...

I know some people consider supplements to be some sort of placibo cure, but in my experience they do work ,it's just a case of finding the one that works for you.

My advice is to seek out good suppliers who don't charge the earth for the cures that come from the earth, if you get my meaning. :think:

My latest supplier is 'Bulk', I'm really impressed with them and they do seem to have depots in numerous countries including UK....take a look....

Take care everyone,
Saludos,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:05 am

I've got inherited very high cholesterol, hence the Omega 3. I had been put onto statins just before I got my trapped nerve but stopped them as I didn't want to risk yet more side effects on top of all the others I had from the medication they gave me. I'm overdue my blood tests so will have to see whether I choose to go back onto them or not. My private Dr used to always try natural remedies where possible.

There has been much in the papers about taking vit D to ward off Covid but it's not something that should be taken if you are not deficient as it can build up in your body. Not sure why I'm not producing any, I must admit I do not go out into the sun much, but even with supplements I am struggling to get up to a decent level. They will only test for it here if you've got osteoporosis I think, so I just pay for that every now and then.

Glad you have found someone in the meantime Gordon. You'll have to compare prices/delivery charges etc of the ones I've used next time you need more.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:53 am

Got my omega 3 capsules from Amazon.es. Took them daily for a couple of weeks and noticed that my blood sugar level was increasing. Stopped taking the capsules and my sugar level has dropped back to normal. For cholesterol i take a daily yoghurt which seems to do the trick.
Regards

Bob

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:32 am

Planetahuerto.es

iherb.com. ...just make sure to choose the website version for Spain

Both are very good and have anything you will ever need between them and delivery and prices are excellent

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:02 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:05 am I've got inherited very high cholesterol, hence the Omega 3. I had been put onto statins just before I got my trapped nerve but stopped them as I didn't want to risk yet more side effects on top of all the others I had from the medication they gave me. I'm overdue my blood tests so will have to see whether I choose to go back onto them or not. My private Dr used to always try natural remedies where possible.

There has been much in the papers about taking vit D to ward off Covid but it's not something that should be taken if you are not deficient as it can build up in your body. Not sure why I'm not producing any, I must admit I do not go out into the sun much, but even with supplements I am struggling to get up to a decent level. They will only test for it here if you've got osteoporosis I think, so I just pay for that every now and then.

Glad you have found someone in the meantime Gordon. You'll have to compare prices/delivery charges etc of the ones I've used next time you need more.
I was going to ask and not ment in a funny way about being vitamin D deficient when living in Spain! It's not nice sunbathing at this time of year unless you have a pool but the rest of year surely it would help

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:24 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:53 am Got my omega 3 capsules from Amazon.es. Took them daily for a couple of weeks and noticed that my blood sugar level was increasing. Stopped taking the capsules and my sugar level has dropped back to normal. For cholesterol i take a daily yoghurt which seems to do the trick.
I wonder what was in your capsules to do that? I take fish oil ones and they have little else in them apart from that. My overall cholesterol is often seriously high (equivalent to about 9 in the UK readings) and triglycerides too which my Dr worries about, but my HDL good cholesterol is always high which I think is down to the fish oil. The only time it dropped was when I tried statins a few years back, then my good really reduced which I didn't think was ideal. I have a reasonably good diet and have never smoked and up until my trapped nerve incident, I was pretty active. Just unfortunate, but I hope the Omega 3 is helping.

Elusive, for some reason my body doesn't produce enough Vit D. I don't sunbathe and we don't sit outside often because we are plagued with flies and biting insects, so I'm not outdoors often at home. I do have a splash in the pool most days in the summer, June to Sept, and I do walk a bit if I can but not in this heat, and I am outside to hang up the washing etc. I think they say you only need 20 mins in the sun, and I must get that but I do not process it into Vit D according to blood tests. I think the 'sufficient' reading should be 30-100 and I was 18 originally, but last month the test showed it as 46, so an improvement.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:55 pm

Ok thanks. I understand wicksey. I guess the tablets are the best way of getting it straight into your system then

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:57 pm

elusive wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:02 pm
I was going to ask and not ment in a funny way about being vitamin D deficient when living in Spain!
I'm fair-skinned I am prone to skin damage, which can develop into skin cancer, if I'm exposed to too much sun.
So I wear a wide-brimmed hat and SPF 50+ skin cream on any exposed skin.
This means I don't produce enough vitamin D so I need tablets.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Yeah good point gerry. Are you not ok in the winter or does that still cause problems aswell.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:41 pm

Usually not too much of a problem in winter.
Just have to be careful in Summer.
I keep a check on the UV index.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:26 am

Good to know. The sun has been very strong recently. I think we are all looking forward to the winter!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:00 pm

I still use this UK company - their flaxseed oil capsules are very good, I also use Visual Eyes from them and have had their Q10 and various other supplements in the past. I've let my membership lapse but it used to be around 9 pounds a year and free delivery to Spain. Delivery now is about 10 pounds but it's quite quick, about a week and comes to the local Correos office. Under 130 pounds, there is no duty to pay. (I really ought to see whether membership is still an option and free delivery.....) https://www.highernature.com/

Wicksey, my cholesterol is high, too and I am hypothyroid after a hemithyroidectomy shortly after we moved to Spain. My doctor keeps trying to make me take statins but my ratios are excellent. The total cholesterol figure shouldn't be the only thing looked at, from my investigations.... I'd love to know what my vitamin D level is, must make an appointment with Dr Veeger. It's way too hot too sit in the sun and when I took vitamin D capsules earlier this year, I got a horrible increase in aura migraines. Maybe I wasn't taking enough of the cofactors, particularly magnesium. Or maybe the auras were nothing to do with that, although magnesium is my go to product for auras and has always kept them at bay, I just didn't increase it to the recommended levels when taking vitamin D capsules.....

I don't want the jab so am doing my best to look after my immune system, I watch lots of Dr Berg videos, he's got some on Covid and how to aid the immune system. His vids are very short, 3 or 4 minutes usually, he uses a white board, points to the info, basically they are good health tips for people like me with a tiny attention span lol. Actually, I've just looked for one I watched yesterday, which is a bit longer, 15 minutes ..... it's over a year old but lots of interesting info in it about coronavirus, in simple language. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjUOpvmDE7k

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:28 pm

I remember Irene, you are hypothyroid like me. I used to go to Bernadette Veeger and she is the one that checked all my vits and minerals, knowing that I may be low due to it, unlike most GPs unfortunately. You don't need to pay her though to get a Vit D test. I just walked into an analysis clinic in Nerja, (the one she uses actually to process her blood samples). Only 20€ and the results emailed to me the next day. https://analisisclinicosnerja.es/

Like you I don't want the jab, so am trying to keep as healthy as possible. I take Vit D tablets, I've not come across capsules before.

Interesting video .... one I can actually understand!
Last edited by Wicksey on Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi Wicksey - we must arrange to meet up again one of these days! Ooh, thanks for that link! Yes, I haven't even asked my local doctor to test my vitamin D as I'm sure he wouldn't. I joined a vitamin D facebook group who have a 'protocol' back in January and tried to adhere to it but didn't up my magnesium and I got the most horrendous auras after about 3 weeks of being on it. 3 auras in 3 hours and another dozen or so over the next month, with very dodgy vision issues more or less non stop. Weird! But I do respond oddly to most meds etc although I would have thought I was safe with vitamin D. No way do I want the jab plus my OH had a terrible reaction to the second one and was very ill for a week. Frightened us both!

As for vitamin D capsules, it was recommended on the group to have gel capsules with vit D in olive oil with no additives and take it with magnesium and K2-7 to ensure calcium produced by the action of D (which is actually a hormone) goes to the bones and teeth and not the blood vessels. Complicated stuff and as long as you're only taking 1,000 i.u. a day, probably not really necessary. I was taking 4,000 i.u. a day, which is not even half what the group recommend! Maybe Dr Berg has a video on D.... hmm.... I should look for that! :)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:02 pm

Wicksey and others.. !
Thank you all very much for your input , I've learnt alot more about vits and supplements and suppliers, Much Appreciated !
Saludos,
Gordon.... :clap:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 pm

Sorry, Gordon, went a bit off track there lol. On the subject of Omega 3, do you still take flax seed? I bought some from Lidl but ended up throwing it away as it went out of date. I wasn't sure how to take it, I'd need to make sure it was ground down.... I must look into it again, it does sound great stuff.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:31 am

Hello Irene,
Nice to hear from you, yes I still use the flax seed about twice a week, mixed with my porridge, and a spoon full of local honey..
It's best to keep flax seed in very airtight containers, it doesn't seem to go 'off' then.

May I wish you a very pleasant day...

Saludos,
Gordon

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:50 am

BENIDORM wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:34 am
My latest supplier is 'Bulk', I'm really impressed with them and they do seem to have depots in numerous countries including UK....take a look...
Mr Benidorm Sir, do you have a link to their website?

We normally buy from lidl or mercadona €4/40 caps / Iceland (actually cheaper than you think, €1.80/60 capsules)

But I'm always interested in bulk buying and saving a few centimos.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.