Covid tests for travel

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Covid tests for travel

Postby olive » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:42 pm

We are hoping to have a UK visitor soon and also travel to the UK in the Autumn.

I am reasonably clear on what tests need to be done and when but less clear on the actual mechanics.

For our visitor double jabbed we need just a lateral flow test before they travel back. Where do folk go for these? I would prefer not to have it via the post as that is another uncertainty.

For our day 2 UK test, what do people do that are touring? We might do 2 days in Truro, 2 in Yeovil before heading further north.

Are there any considerations for ferry travel ( Northern Spain to Southern England) , for example the clock is ticking while you are on board.? I suspect the answer there will be get a test on arrival at Bilbao , stay overnight , possibly two nights, while the results are processed and sent to you via email?

Anyone got any tips, experience , recommended companies to use please? I just read the Daily Mirror article about Randox tests piling up waiting to be collected.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Covid tests for travel

Postby biribiri » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:24 pm

For ferry travel we used this place in Santander for anti -gen tests prior to sailing,

They are very helpful and speak English if required, Results were ready after 5mins. Cost 50 euros each.

https://www.laboratoriodraconchadelafuente.com/

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:38 pm

Lots of private drs do the covid test in spain also some chemists. I guess it might be abit harder to find if your inland away from the coastal resorts. Cheapest ive found locally is 35 euros (nerja)

You have to pre book the day 2 test on the uk gov website for when you are in the uk so if ifs sent to you in the post you need an address of where you will be on day 2. Not sure if you can physically go somewhere and have it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 am

There is a chemist in Torre del Mar that does them for 25€ I think, but not much use to the OP. The test has to be done a certain time before arriving in the UK so you will need to work it back to see where you will be at that time. The test near the port probably sounds the best option.

If you're not quarantining when you arrive in the UK do they chase you up for the day two test result? I think you have to have it booked for the locator form, but it all looks a farce in England where tests obviously are not being collected and processed. I have heard of a lot of people never even getting their results back. You can read between the lines what I am saying!

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:41 pm

Your visitor would be best off booking the lateral flow from the UK. We used Chronomics last week to return to the UK. We brought the lateral flow out with us, did the test ourselves, sent a photo of the result via their website and our certificate arrived 15 minutes later. Cost - £40

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm

Returned to UK from Spain last Wednesday. Booked a “Day 2” test via the government website- not the easiest to navigate, but not horrendous. This asked where you wanted test to be sent. Day you arrive is day zero. My test arrived by registered post on the Thursday (day 1). Instructions with test advised test had to be returned by end of Day 2. So I Took the test and posted on Thursday afternoon. Received text late on the Friday (day 2) advising test was negative. Also received an email on the Monday repeating test results and giving links to general COVID info, test and trace, etc.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:22 am

Never sent back 2 day test after returning from Gibraltar. Labe in tube was different and impossible to get through to company so I didn’t bother. That was June, never heard a thing. Money making rip off.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:57 am

My wife and I need to return to the UK next week for 10 days to relieve my siblings of their caring duties for my mother who's housebound with dementia.

We had previously visited for 21 days back in June. Back then we needed an Antigen test to travel to the UK and of course book the 2 and 8 day whilst there. The UK Gov info is a bit vague just now. It says 'you are advised to take a PCR type test before you travel'. It says you are advised not must :wtf:

We are now fully vaccinated with the a Digital Passport which we weren't back in June.

I am seeing on other UK Ex Pat forums and social media sites people saying eg quote I am just off to get and Antigen test as I'm flying to the UK in three days

Should we get a Antigen or a very pricey PCR test :?: What do A.com members know :?:

cheers Terry :thumbup:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:05 pm

People I know that have gone back to the UK have used the cheaper test. I know of a couple that have gone to the farmacia in Torre del Mar known as Alfonsos and I think his were about 25€, so not the full PCR which is more expensive.

This is from the Vueling site for travel from Spain to the UK:
Test type accepted: a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests or an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device.
Last edited by Wicksey on Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:23 pm

Tellboy: check the information in the Travel, Tourism and Destinations page on this site.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:27 pm

By law you only need a lamp test to return to the uk. Average price between 35-45 euro
Last edited by elusive on Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:11 pm

¿Qué?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:14 pm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... to-england

Full text re tests:
Type of test
The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:

a PCR test
a LAMP test
an antigen test, such as an LFD (lateral flow device) test
You must check with your test provider that the test meets the standards. You may not be able to travel if it does not.

Travel from Spain and its islands
If you are travelling to England from Spain, including the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands (Formentera, Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca), you are advised to take a PCR type test before travel.

If you have recently had COVID
If you have recently recovered from COVID but are no longer infectious, you should use a lateral flow device (LFD) test. LFD tests have a lower sensitivity than PCR or LAMP tests, so they are less likely to return a positive result from a historic infection. The LFD test must meet the minimum performance standards as set out above.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:21 pm

If you have recently recovered from COVID but are no longer infectious.

How does one determine that ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:29 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:14 pm ..
Type of test
The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:

a PCR test
a LAMP test
an antigen test, such as an LFD (lateral flow device) test
You must check with your test provider that the test meets the standards. You may not be able to travel if it does not.

Are all of these tests capable of meeting these performance standards?
And who does an antigen test, the cheapest, that meets these standards?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:54 pm

https://farmaciaalfonsomonllor.com/

Someone I know of went there prior to returning to the UK last month and it was 20€. Although it's not mentioned on his website as far as I can see.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:33 pm

IF i do get out there later in the year, I have been quoted Eur 120 ( each ) for a PCR test prior to returning to the UK, OR, EUR 40 Eur (each ) for an antigen test ( same people ).

Decisions, decisions.....

anyroads

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:55 pm

I did the Allianz test with Iberia and it was €80.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:02 am

Wicksey wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:54 pm https://farmaciaalfonsomonllor.com/

Someone I know of went there prior to returning to the UK last month and it was 20€. Although it's not mentioned on his website as far as I can see.
Had our tests here yesterday. 19.99e each and very efficient. Gentle nose swab, go and have a coffee, return 15min later and pick up certificates.... There were quite a few other brits getting their tests at the same time. We did prebook, but you can just walk in.

Far simpler process than ordering the uk's 2 day test..
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:22 am

Do they require Flight Details or just passport?