Heatwave

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Heatwave

Postby olive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:52 am

Well that was hot yesterday. My unofficial reading here in the Genil valley was 45. What was notable was how it was so hot after sunset and into the night. I dare say in fifty years this sort of heat will be normal and heatwaves will be 50!

Anyone else experience similar temperatures? I dare say it was 10 degrees cooler on the coast.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Heatwave

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:20 am

We're just inland from the coast and currently there is a sea mist rolling in and it's been quite murky this month, mainly with calima. The humidity has made it feel worse to us and very oppressive.

It was 65% yesterday although the outside shade temperature didn't go much above 30. It's around 28 in the house most of the time but again the humidity is usually over 50% indoors which of course adds to the 'feels like' temperature. Currently its 27.5 degrees with 67% humidity outside and similar indoors too according to my weather station.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:23 am

olive wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:52 am ...I dare say in fifty years this sort of heat will be normal and heatwaves will be 50! ...
It would appear that is not necessarily so:

https://www.winterwatch.net/2021/02/glo ... ter-phase/

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:50 am

Agree with wicksey. Its been very hazy and grey for knocking on a week now. Normally its maybe 2 or 3 days max. The humidity is the big issue for me. I can cope with it being hot but the humidy makes it unbearable and i end up with a frizzy perm by the end of the day!!! Im counting the days down to september and hoping for cooler weather especially on a night. Last night was terrible ontop of a bad headache which the humidity helps to cause and make worse. As they say anyone with the means or opportunity leaves in july and August. Whether i can put up with another summer i dont know

I was around the cartama area yesterday and even though the forecast was for over 40 it was "only" around 34 with a nice breeze fhat makes all the difference

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:03 pm

Came up through Spain yesterday and today. and experienced many different types of weather. Thick mist and cool as we started out but that soon changed as we headed inland. I didn't really notice the heat building up due to the car's air conditioning, Unbelievable heat when we stopped just north of Andalucía on the A4. Got to Madrid around 4pm and decided to wait a couple of hours in the hotel so before venturing out.

Even though it was warm, it was more of a dry heat so the evening was nice. Today stopped for petrol about 100 KLMs north of Madrid and was already hot but a couple of hours later just as we got back into the Basque country the clouds started to appear, then 20 KLMs from Bilbao, rain and here it's quite cool. At least the flowers in the garden look good.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:40 pm

elusive wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:50 am Agree with wicksey. Its been very hazy and grey for knocking on a week now. Normally its maybe 2 or 3 days max. The humidity is the big issue for me. I can cope with it being hot but the humidy makes it unbearable and i end up with a frizzy perm by the end of the day!!! Im counting the days down to september and hoping for cooler weather especially on a night.
:lol: my hair is totally unmanageable in this weather :( I too am counting down the days to September but last year it was warm well into the autumn, and I don't think we took down our 'summer' sun shade over the cars until November. It is the humidity that makes me feel worse, like you.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:24 pm

I dont mind it being hot (to a point) during the day aslong as it cools down in the evening and you feel the difference and can sleep. I guess it was like that till the end of june this year? Abit later than than normal.Its the 30 degrees at 23.00 that is the killer

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:01 pm

30 at 11p.m. It will still be 30 here gone 1 am.

I cannot wait till September

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:22 pm

Hola,

I didn't come to Spain to get cold - therefore I headed West where snow has not been known in living memory. This heat is normal for a couple of weeks every year - it is the only time I would use air-con - I don't have it installed as I don't think worth while for such a short period

Davexf

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:05 am

olive wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:01 pm 30 at 11p.m. It will still be 30 here gone 1 am.

I cannot wait till September
Got in my car at not far off 23.00 last night and it said 33.5 on the temp. I cant understand how it drops so little at night even though theres no sun. Got home and went in the pool. The only thing to keep you sane

The temps look at lower for the rest of the week. Hopefully!!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:19 am

Hi elusive,

"I cant understand how it drops so little at night even though theres no sun"...........night storage heaters come to mind......the land/buildings are hot and keeps giving long after the sun goes down.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:54 am

I can cope if it's a drier heat, it is the humidity that make me feel awful. My glasses steamed up when I put them on this morning! We have aircon in the bedroom but never use it for cooling as the fans are enough and they are on all night long. In the living room the aircon goes on mid to late afternoon and stays on until the outside temperature is less than inside (which is usually about 27 even with aircon on). We need to have our cool space to retire to. The rest of the house feels like an oven.

I was in the pool at 11 last night but even that is feeling warm now. It has got up to 33 in the past, but any benefit of it soon wears off by the time I go to bed. We live in Spain for the milder and brighter winters, and only tolerate summer as we cannot leave the house and animals for 6 weeks, as much as we'd like to be elsewhere. It's a time of year we dread, so we are glad when it's over and the tourists have gone home, as going anywhere at the moment is impossible due to lack of parking and crowds. Not too much longer now!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:35 am

Enrique wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:19 am "I cant understand how it drops so little at night even though theres no sun"...........night storage heaters come to mind......the land/buildings are hot and keeps giving long after the sun goes down.
Sometimes we get very strange phenomena caused by Katabatic winds coming down from the mountains in the middle of the night.

A week ago, according to the printout from my weather station, At 6 am the temperature went from 22c to 38c and back again inside the space of one hour. The humidity dropped to 10%.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:49 pm

Enrique wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:19 am Hi elusive,

"I cant understand how it drops so little at night even though theres no sun"...........night storage heaters come to mind......the land/buildings are hot and keeps giving long after the sun goes down.
Yeah good point. The walls and floors in,and out are still hot long into the evening.

Intresting thanks cid.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:45 pm

We had 47.5°c here in alhaurin today at 1800. Madness.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.