Richard E Grant in andalucia bbc 4 tonight

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Richard E Grant in andalucia bbc 4 tonight

Postby elusive » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:59 am

The last of three episodes where he travels around europe reading from his favourite books. Tonight hes in Granada ,almunecar and marbella. The last two episodes were in italy and france. Worth worthing on catch up if only for the scenery
22.00 on bbc 4

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Richard E Grant in andalucia bbc 4 tonight

Postby IreneD » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:30 pm

So good, isn't it? We've watched all 3. The history is interesting, I had no idea about Lorca's life.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:02 am

Excellent. I have never heard of the presenter and we have very little time to watch TV but I am glad we managed to find an hour for this. Could have done without the close-ups of him eating his figs, though.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:44 am

Richard e grant is a famous uk actor. Dont know if hes done much presenting. Very interesting about lorca but as some commented on other sites theres not much of a need for having people on who are just promoting their b&bs and cooking schools when theres other important authors like brennan etc

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:10 am

I'm going to watch it on catch-up. I like Richard E Grant as an actor (my OH is a massive Withnail fan) but not sure how he is as a presenter until I have watched it. Unfortunately these days just about all 'travel' programmes are too much about the presenter, and them doing things. As much as I enjoy Michael Portillo's train series, I do wish they wouldn't make him try to join in with dancing etc.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Yes, A really good programme beautifully filmed, helped along by Richard E Grant's enthusiasm,

The foraging brought to mind my recently passed father in Law, who suffered great hardship after the Civil War and his stories of foraging with his mates for food. He always carried a bag in his pocket and when we went for walks or had picnics, he would often disappear and return with the bags full of mushrooms, snails and fruit. At the beach crabs and other seafood were on the menu at home the following days

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:23 pm

I love it that you can all watch BBC programmes, whilst I cannot, because I don't have a licence, either!
:)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:59 am

knowal wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:23 pm I love it that you can all watch BBC programmes, whilst I cannot, because I don't have a licence, either!
:)
Some BBC content is available on its YouTube channel without a VPN. The Richard E Grant documentaries are there on YouTube and play fine over 4G outside the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITUeNC8cAEg

Catch-up content watched via YouTube does not require a TV licence even in the UK so enjoy the programme without any feelings of guilt.

https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/digi ... e-3423808/

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:17 am

I watched it last night on catch up and it was better than expected. I have read the Victoria Hislop, Laurie Lee and Chris Stewart books and it was interesting to see Chris Stewart's home which still looks very isolated. They could have dropped the cookery couple and included Gerald Brennan though, as elusive said. Thought it strange he was driving an ancient old GR reg 4x4 rather than a shiny new hire car that the presenters usually have.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:36 am

I agree about the "cookery couple". How did they creep in? A good publicity agent? Friends of the producer?

I suspect most avid readers will have their own favourites.

Mine is the last page of James Joyce's Ulysees (No! I haven't read all of it!) where Molly Bloom's soliloquy mentions Ronda, ....the night we missed the boat at Algeciras,.......the figtrees in the Alameda Gardens,....the Andalusian girls with flowers in their hair (sic).

My research (such as is available to me) however, shows that Joyce never went to Ronda, which rather destroys the magic.

To throw a further note of dissent into the discussion, does anyone else find Chris Stewart annoying? How did he imagine, when he first set pen to paper, that nobody would query his claim to be Genesis' first drummer? To the extent that his second book had to carry a load of paragraphs explaining that he was referring to his schooldays. He should be consigned to the role of an excentric Englishman and left to moulder in his splendid isolation without the likes of Rick Stein, Richard E Grant et al beating paths to his remote door.

I might also look again at Giles Tremlett's book: The Ghosts of Spain. Not specifically dwelling on Andalucia as neither did Orwell's Homage to Catalonia, but both worthy of inclusion, I suspect, by some commentators

But where does the list end eh?
nil illegitimum carborundum

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:26 pm

I think if you or I had written a book and not had the "Genesis' first drummer" claim, we wouldn't have got anywhere. However, I did read it when it first came out as it was lightweight and a quick read. It was 1999, after we'd bought a house here but before we lived here, so it was mildy entertaining at the time.

I enjoyed Laurie Lee. Spain seemed medieval in the 1930s. An insight to what the country was like just before the war.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:03 pm

Gerald Brennan still has the best quote on Spain:
“Governments legislate. Centuries pass. Nothing happens.”
His “Labyrinths of Spain” is still the best read, 80 years on.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:33 pm

I thought is was quite good but agree the restaurant couple could well have been dropped.

The Chris Stewart book came sort of off the back of ex- adman Peter Mayle's 'A Year in Provence' (A TV offspin of which was a rare John Thaw flop).

But I do remember a very funny pastiche of' A Year in Provence' in Private Eye, or possibly, Punch, called something lilke 'A year in an Ad Agency', echoing Mayle's previous life, and it was about setting a local Provençal peasant farmer, or similar, to work in a chinzy London ad agency, where he used all his Provencal wiles and displayed all his Provençal ways in this unfamiliar setting!

I think, though, that Mayle's book did wonders for Provence. Not sure, charming as it was, that Stewart's book drove many to live in the middle of nowhere in rural Spain with zero utilities.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:01 pm

I think Chris Stewart revels in his martyrdom......but I was impressed with his guitar playing!
nil illegitimum carborundum

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:41 pm

Wicksey wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:10 am I'm going to watch it on catch-up. I like Richard E Grant as an actor (my OH is a massive Withnail fan) but not sure how he is as a presenter until I have watched it. Unfortunately these days just about all 'travel' programmes are too much about the presenter, and them doing things. As much as I enjoy Michael Portillo's train series, I do wish they wouldn't make him try to join in with dancing etc.
I haven’t watched it yet but agree Wicksey, too much focus on Presenters on most of these programmes.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:14 pm

They are trying , with these programmes, to appeal to a wide audience. Small audience , no funding so no further programmes.