Drinking water fountains that run constantly

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
EdX20
Andalucia.com Amigo

Drinking water fountains that run constantly

Postby EdX20 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:18 pm

Seems curious that we householders are billed for our water, and there is a lot of coverage about the (usually) low levels of the reservoirs, but I see these drinking water fountains/sources everywhere, constantly running.

Where does the "wasted" water go? Does it eventually end up in a reservoir? If not, why are we paying for water at home?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Drinking water fountains that run constantly

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:28 pm

all the ones east of malaga run for about 15 seconds then cut off. Press again for more water.

EdX20
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby EdX20 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Yes that seems to be the norm in some areas, but in others, perhaps more mountainous areas like here, they keep running.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi EdX20,

The mountain ones are tapped into a source/water channel that runs down the mountain , they fill up a stone container and flow on, the water is not treated........ well, only with fertiliser/ herbicide run-off :!: :!: ...........the ones in villages up this way.....mark them with "agua no potable"

Guess you have seen these when out on your rides............. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:56 pm

There were a few constantly running water outlets in the mountains around Comares. I believe these were natural spring outlets, with the overflow returning to the source aquifer, so no waste. Various locals swore by one fountain or another despite obvious signs of tiny creatures in the reservoir! There was a spring near our house in Llano Almendra, zealously guarded by the owners of the three nearest houses, as they paid for the water to be tested every year.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:25 pm

One spring behind Marbella always had a queue of people filling containers but then it was found that it was polluted by run off from farmers fields so contaminated with fertilisers and other chemicals.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:23 pm

I know that one. Years ago we were on a drive and stopped there. Lots of people (locals) filling up plastic bottles.

PuffTheMagicDragon
Tourist

Postby PuffTheMagicDragon » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:34 pm

Just a spout sticking out of a wall or rock, with water running into a concrete ‘sink’, or in to a series of channels with ‘rubbing surfaces’ for washing clothes.
Where we live some people say that some are polluted, but there are no signs, and people still get their drinking water from them. I believe that some may be better than others, the ones at the base of mountains, where it’s fast flowing and there are no fields.
Where the water goes after that, often into a reservoir where it will be released into the fields, otherwise, I’ve never really thought about it!

Puff