Tipping

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Tipping

Postby olive » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:58 pm

We tip about 10% though if there are problems like filthy toilets or disinterested staff then I leave nothing.

We discussed tipping with some Spanish friends and their answer was unequivocally zero always as “ they get paid”!

Is tipping a thing of the past?

dxf
Resident

Re: Tipping

Postby dxf » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:00 pm

Hola,

No, in certain places tips are aggregated to include chefs etc. Yes, in a perfect world, tipping would become redundant but it is nice to tip - to get a better service over and beyond what you would expect.

Davexf

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:08 pm

We have witnessed many Spanish tipping a paltry sum. €78.50 bill rounded up to €80. On the other hand they a coffee for 1.20 and leave 1.50
We always leave a couple of euros on a €25 bill if we are happy with service and a bigger tip if its a place we use regularly and they know us. Once places know you the service is usually better although it should be the same for all.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:27 am

For the most part food is cheap and good quality. We always leave a tip,(amount dependent on the bill size) unless the food,service was terrible or they rip you off by charging a couple of euros for a can of coke etc. Wages are poor and waiters work very hard especially in the summer. They deserve all the tips they can get.

Maybe spanish dont tip as much because they are on poor wages and expect cheap good quality good so its not a novelty. Unlike for the brits who in the uk expect to be ripped off at every opportunity

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 am

We do tip, unless as others have said the service, food or cleanliness has not been good. Since the hospitality industry was allowed to re-open after the first lockdown we have tended to give a larger amount than before, we have felt very fortunate that our income wasn't affected at all and the staff in hospitality will have lost so much.

PuffTheMagicDragon
Tourist

Postby PuffTheMagicDragon » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:56 am

We were told when we first came here that 5% was the absolute maximum, and preferably just any small(ish) coins given with your change.
If the toilets etc are dirty, to me that’s down to the management, not the waiting staff, so I’ll still tip a waiter/waitress even so, if they are good that is.
If the waiting staff are the owners or their family, they’re getting all the profit, so no tip.

Puff

DTMaster
Tourist

Postby DTMaster » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:19 pm

Tipping here is optional, as it should be :)

My site: https://migliore10top.it

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:55 am

IME since the 80s, it's always been the case that Brit tourists and many Brit immigrants have a ~10% mentality but indigenous Andalucians tend to leave the smalls even on a table-for-eight, €150 bill. It's just cultural norms, although of course a decent/generous tip is usually appreciated. I say usually because, say, in Iceland, waiting staff can be confused if not offended and - here - some can play the system according to circumstances.

My regular eateries might like the tip, but appear to genuinely prioritize my repeat custom. When my mum visited from UK and I brought her to my usuals, it was seen as a sign of high praise. OTOH, when she insisted on paying a ridiculous €70/head at her hotel's New Year's Eve skanky buffet, I dropped a €10 in some dodgy casual's hat, only for him to start hassling the other four in our party - before I choicely invited him to cast his net elsewhere.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:16 am

I'm also forgetting Covid-contactless. For yonks, I paid a bill in cash (keep the change) because I really didn't want my inside leg measurement compared against my passport data before a Visa card would be accepted. Post March 2020, everybody suddenly got into waving my card from 50m in the direction of their sensor rather than accept my metallicos nestled next to the Uncle Joe's Mintballs in my side pocket (with some justification, given the uncertainty). Contactless has now taken over even here (totally dominant in the UK) and how often do we suggest tambien €5 para los camereros?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 am

In one of our local bars where we eat breakfast a couple of times a week they ring a bell when a tip is over €1. They ring the bell for me every time because the service and food are excellent and the staff are very friendly. I am happy to leave a euro or a euro 10 cent tip.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:33 pm

A couple of places we've eaten on the Costa don't take cards so I have to remember to check I have cash with me. When we go out with friends, they often produce cash for their portion, so I nab that and pay the whole bill by card.

I hated the tipping culture when visiting America. The fact that 10% was expected very time was a bit much. On a cruise they added 7 pounds a day tipping charge to the final bill but in fact you can fill out a form(!) to say you don't want to pay it. I preferred to leave something in the cabin as a personal tip to the person who looked after us. When you're paying a lot for a holiday, I find it a bit much that we then expected to supplement the staff's wages because their employer doesn't pay them enough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:54 pm

Always check that 10% service charge hasn’t been added happens a lot around Marbella etc.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:20 pm

The one thing which annoys me more than any other at the moment is having to recall the waiter/waitress and ask for salt /pepper/sauces..Since covid none of these items are on the tables and they don't bring them with the food and never ask if any are required. Quite often by the time they return with one or 2 sachets of salt/pepper/sauce/mayo the food is kind of half eaten but not enjoyed, there goes the best part of any tip...

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:46 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:20 pm The one thing which annoys me more than any other at the moment is having to recall the waiter/waitress and ask for salt /pepper/sauces..Since covid none of these items are on the tables and they don't bring them with the food and never ask if any are required. Quite often by the time they return with one or 2 sachets of salt/pepper/sauce/mayo the food is kind of half eaten but not enjoyed, there goes the best part of any tip...

I've been in Las Palmas since xmas and this now seems to be the norm, even when they do bring you condiments it's a paltry amount !