Welcoming the displaced people from the Ukraine.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Welcoming the displaced people from the Ukraine.

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:52 pm

One of my neighbours drove a bus to Poland this week to take supplies for the Ukranians, he then brought back many Mothers and children , a few older men and one dog.
He told me that his passengers were very traumatised..understandable , and that they told him many horror stories, including one lady telling that her elderly Grandparents , aged 92 and 94 , had been shot in their own home...

How do you get your head around that sort of situation, so disgusting, and so many similar stories, even starving dogs eating corpses..

Saludos,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Welcoming the displaced people from the Ukraine.

Postby olive » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:16 pm

Very heartening to hear that Abades group are using their hotel in Loja opposite Mercadona for a group of refugees. I'll have a look next week to see what they are short of.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:30 pm

Olive,
I believe that they're just staying at the hotel for a short while to sort out papers etc. and then probably going direct to stay with families in the area.
Also I hear that when they've settled in, the people who can work will be offered jobs, not sure how that will work due to the language difficulties though. :think:

Saludos,
Gordon

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:03 pm

BENIDORM wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:30 pm Olive,
I believe that they're just staying at the hotel for a short while to sort out papers etc. and then probably going direct to stay with families in the area.
Also I hear that when they've settled in, the people who can work will be offered jobs, not sure how that will work due to the language difficulties though. :think:

Saludos,
Gordon
[/quote

It's good that they are being given help but I seriously doubt there will be any jobs on the table. The Spanish are well known for giving jobs to their own kind first, they certainly don't entertain anyone who doesn't have a very good knowledge of Spanish. Nevertheless as long as people are safe and out of danger that's a big start !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:23 pm

Maybe picking fruit and veg for a few euro per hour.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:28 pm

BENIDORM wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:52 pm How do you get your head around that sort of situation, so disgusting, and so many similar stories, even starving dogs eating corpses..
It could be worse. In 1932 there was a huge famine in Ukraine and 2500 people were convicted of cannibalism.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:34 pm

120,000 Christians disappeared over a few years in the Middle east over a few years and not much was said. Churches etc. around here are trying to coerce people, especially the elderly with big houses to take refugees. I think it is disgraceful. They came to me.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:54 am

I know plenty of immigrants who are rubbish at learning Spanish who have got by for decades making inedible cottage pie (in summer at ambient temperatures of 30+ Celsius) and I also know (pre and post lockdown) Russian and Ukrainian native speakers who have adapted, picked up Spanish and found gainful employment. Chances are, they could be fine once settled.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:34 am

The cds has a large Ukrainian community im sure they will try to help people out with jobs. We have some Ukrainian neighbours well one half of them is russian. They speak several languages including spanish and english thankfully they have mangaged to get family members out to Spain.

Its shame the eastern european countries werent so welcoming to all the syrians whose cities were being blown to bits by the russians aswell. Instead leaving them to freeze for death on the borders. Im sure they see the irony of it all.

God forbid anyone upsets you nice lttle middle class lives katie.then again when you see them all on the bbc in their thatched cottages in oxfordshire waving their flags saying arent i good for offering the annexe .well if it makes them feel better :roll:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:54 pm

Yes someone in my Village is taking a family of 7 I don't know her but she has been doing a bit of virtue signalling on local forum and asking if anyone has a small rug and a bunk bed. Someone offered a duvet and another toys. Lot of pressure on Churchgoers too. Friend was talked into it and then withdrew when she thought it through properly. I had 6 people to dinner last night and I was knackered this morning. :mrgreen: