Antique Olive Jars & Pots

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Flying Scotsman

Antique Olive Jars & Pots

Postby Flying Scotsman » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:16 am

Hi to all and hoping that someone can help.

We inherited a number of antique olive jars and pots when we purchased our property 7 years ago. The previous owner collected these items and used them as planters for various flowers/trees/shrubs. At the time of purchase we were told that they had some value but did not really look into this as we intended to keep them as they were and maintain the plants. However, lockdowns and the lack of opportunity to visit our property in the last couple of years has meant that many of the plants have not survived and we are now looking to sell most of the jars if we can identify any local (ish) antique dealers that may want to acquire them.

We have looked on-line for the sale of similar items and most sales seem to be in the USA, some in northern European countries and a few in the UK. Sales of these items in Spain seem to be rare. The value of similar items advertised on the on-line sites run from several hundred to several thousand euros so we would like to try to get at least some of the value that these items are worth. With this mind, can anyone recommend any antique dealers or other businesses that would be interested or would anyone have any other ideas as to how we could sell these items.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Antique Olive Jars & Pots

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:37 am

Size really does matter with regards to the pots.
You really need to give some indication of size and condition.
Some can be valuable, but probably not as much as you are expecting, I see them regularly at flea-markets / rastro events, anything from 5 -50 euros.
I also often see them for sale on Facebook market pages.
Be aware that prices for items shown on the internet are often way out, just not realistic or some chancer hoping for someone with more money than sense to come along.
Can I suggest that you look on sites like ebay at prices sold for, not prices offered.
I live and breathe history and antiques and have been involved with such since the beginning of time...my time that is. :shock:
Hope that my info. helps you.
Saludos,
Gordon..

Flying Scotsman

Postby Flying Scotsman » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:17 pm

Thanks Gordon. It is very helpful to get feedback from someone with some knowledge of these items. Can I PM you photos of some of the jars for your view on them?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:06 pm

Flying Scotsman,
Thank you ,I'm happy to help if I can.
Certainly send some photos, I'll try to identify the ages and values, although most are not of high value even really old examples.

As I'm sure that you will appreciate anything to do with olives in Spain is common to most households, although many every day rustic items ,farming tools, kitchen equipment etc are now climbing in value as younger Spaniards try to preserve more of their recent history.
Saludos,
Gordon

Flying Scotsman

Postby Flying Scotsman » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:52 am

Thanks Gordon, much appreciated. I'll be in touch shortly.