Exchange Rates

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Exchange Rates

Postby anyroads » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:30 am

Wow,

Is the £ heading for parity with the Euro ?

Put off buying some Euros last week, as I thought the latest rate increase would boost the £ !

anyroads

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Exchange Rates

Postby olive » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:37 am

Is the pound heading for parity with the dollar?

Might be time for another election!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:09 am

olive wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:37 am Is the pound heading for parity with the dollar?

More like a bonfire is in order, Nov 5th. :lol:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:38 am

I went into exchange the other day and while in the Q it dropped from 1.1250 to 1.11 so I halved what i was buying. 1.08 yesterday. grrrrrr

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:24 pm

olive wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:37 am Is the pound heading for parity with the dollar?

I think might have been a good move long term. Bit of a blow for currency right now. Some of the scaremongering organisations and the media were saying the tax rises by Rishi were bad now saying opposite. The last time cooperation tax was reduced more money went into the coffers than before.

Surprisingly the UK is one of the lowest countries for debts than most in the G7 take a look at this graph.

https://order-order.com/2022/09/23/uks- ... est-in-g7/

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:26 pm

Some sense at last in getting rid of the cut to the top rate of tax.

As a paid up member of the Conservative Party, I did not vote for Truss.

She seems to answer every question with the price cap on energy as an answer. That is done and dusted, move on...

anyroads

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:03 pm

anyroads wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:26 pm

As a paid up member of the Conservative Party, I did not vote for Truss.

She seems to answer every question with the price cap on energy as an answer. That is done and dusted, move on...

anyroads
I think she is useless. Hopefully not PM for too much longer but god knows who will be next. Labour won’t win the next election, the tories will hand it to them on a plate.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:34 pm

Agree costakid..I'm appalled at this government, one min the Uk hits the word stage with a funeral like never before, the next we are the laughing stock of the world. It is a total disaster and i dread the future more now than ever.The sooner she is gone the better.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:14 pm

There seemed to be resistance to Sunak (who had done a great job during the pandemic) from the MPs and the members so they go for the one who has failed at every job she has had. I would not want to work in a firm where she was a manager so am presently glad not to be in a country she is trying to run.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:23 pm

Laughing stock of the world but they all want to come. UK debt to GDP is second lowest on the G7 only Germany leads. I'm sorry she backed down as dropping the 45% tax would may have brought in more revenue it did last time and brought more investment. . Will she back down on dropping the the NI increase next. On Bloomberg yesterday it said the first to burn will be the Eurozone and that was from a member of the ECB. If the disgruntled Conservatives are going to pick pick at everything a PM does like they did with Boris then they will destroy their own party. Not keen on Truss but neither of Dishi Rishi. Most of the whingers are his supporters seems no one can accept a democratic vote now. Perhaps all the candidates for PM could agree for once and share it on a month each. ha ha.

Peter what great job did Rishi do in the pandemic except furlough of which the fraud could run into billions.?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:24 pm

Democracy, i don't see any democracy in a few thousand voters deciding who was going to be the next PM. There should have been a GE with a new mandate.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:19 am

peteroldracer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:14 pm There seemed to be resistance to Sunak (who had done a great job during the pandemic) from the MPs and the members so they go for the one who has failed at every job she has had. I would not want to work in a firm where she was a manager so am presently glad not to be in a country she is trying to run.
I could have done his job during the pandemic. Open check book and spend what you want. He gave/lent billion and half of that we will never see again as the fraudsters jumped on it.
People forget very quickly but it was Boris who was the star with the vaccine buying programme.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:56 pm

The reason for that is that they only got in first by a few weeks. They might have been the first, but they were not the fastest. Many counties overtook the UK within months. He also continuously lied about the fact the UK could go their own way on two fronts. The UK were still inside the EU in the transition year and there was no EU rule to oblige any country to do it collectively. Most people realized that.

What many have not forgotten is that he was slow to put in measure to slow the various waves, so the UK had more lock downs due to bad management so even though the vaccine programme was ongoing, more people were dying during this period than any other country in Europe.

Had there not been Furlough, when the country came out of lockdown, there would have been similar problems that occurred at airports this summer because it would have taken much longer to get people back into place, As a result, the economy would have taken much longer to bounce back. My criticism is the lack of control. They should have made it a condition that worker could not be made redundant for a period of time, in addition to making it a criminal offence to have people working while on Furlough. As well as this, they ought to have made whistle blowing easier.

The problem with this current bunch is we have gone through so many MPs who in effect were not good enough to be given senior positions before meaning we are scraping the bottom of the barrel. They have got rid of Boris, who was a terrible PM only to choose an even worse right wing ideologs making policies that haven't worked in the past. In my opinion, they are making the same mistake as the Labour party did under Corbyn, looking inward to the faithful while the electorate is shifting away from free market liberal thinking.

Tax cuts for the rich don't work in a developed county. They might help to move the economy in the short term when things are normal but growth which is too fast sets off inflation which cancels out any benefits with high interest rates, high currency and the high pricing meaning the country becomes less competitive.

The Tories have made this mistake before by releasing equity, selling off public companies and housing in the country through tax cuts instead of using the money to reinvest in housing and infrastructure.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:47 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:24 pm Democracy, i don't see any democracy in a few thousand voters deciding who was going to be the next PM. There should have been a GE with a new mandate.
Maybe but its the way it is always done Labour the same.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:48 pm

We need a new Party/ Labour has done the same mistakes over the years. Still old Labour in the background but good just mow at putting on a show. Starmer is as much and idiot as the others. France chose and outsider with Macron and Ukraine with the Comedian. Not that I am saying any of them are good either but people are looking for change and its not Labour whatever the Polls say.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:12 pm

Wow,

Got just over 1.15 this week, and straight to my account with "Wise"

anyroads

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:21 am

1.1708 yesterday.