Patricia Shaw

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Patricia Shaw

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:38 pm

costakid wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:40 pm half my ashes in the Uk and the other half into the sea east of Malaga.
Your post didn't surprise me costakid. it's not hard to see that you love Spain as much as you love the Uk. :D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:55 pm

Surely you can do what you like with the ashes. Burial I tricky though.

Things can go wrong though. We had a friend who was a submarine captain. One of his friends died and had asked him to scatter his ashes at sea from his sub. All went well until they opened the urn and started to scatter them. A sudden gust of wind cought the ashes and blew them back over the sub. The conning tower had been painted that morning as was still not dry. Most of Charlie ended up stuck to it. A fitting end for a submariner!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:25 pm

Just found out that there is no Spanish will. I am really shocked as she had a property since the 1990s I think, and we talked about it so often. In 2021 I gave her all the details of the notary that I had used to re-do ours and I know she had asked on here too about wills. I thought she was thinking of redoing hers, so I'm very surprised she had never done one at all. Not sure if there is a vaild one in the UK, but does that have any jurisdiction here or is it counted as dying intestate?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:14 am

I think pre brexit a uk will carried some weight if no Spanish will was made but i guess that has changed since the UK became a 3rd country.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:44 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:24 pm Sadly, at 1am this morning, Patricia passed away peacefully at home. I have been very much involved with sorting things out for her and caring for her cat whilst she was in hospital for 5 weeks. She went home Tuesday evening and was reunited with her beloved cat but faded away.

I seemed to be the only person she recognised during her illness although we only originally got to know her because we were her cat sitters from about 2007 onwards. She was a great lover of animals, to a point of rescuing waifs and strays and housing them in her tiny flat until she could rehome them. She also was very interested and had a great knowledge of history, running a local history group at one point. I believe she used to be a tour guide here may years back, but she was a very private person and didn't really talk about her past much. Only this summer did she show me a lovely photo of herself when she was doing conservation work in Guatemala. Such a shame I didn't find out more of that part of her life.

As an aside, it became very clear that she had started processes of completing new wills and taking out a funeral plan but never got around to finalising them. We never got around to completing power of attorney in time so there's a fair amount needing to be sorted out now. Personally we are pretty organised and have wills done, but it does bring it home to you that, particularly as she lived alone, there's now an awful lot that needs sorting out. It's very sad as she has been talking about buying a little bungalow with a garden for her animals for quite a few years, but she never got around to doing that. It's really brought it home to us not to put off doing things. So feeling a bit sad today about her lost opportunities.

I know she appreciated the help she obtained from other members here over the years, particularly Enrique who always tried to help her out with her computer problems when they arose.

We shall also need to find a home for her 19 year old deaf cat. She's a real softy but hates other cats and had to live in our spare bedroom when she stayed here. She really needs to be an only cat with a secure garden or terrace as she is completely deaf so cannot hear cars or other dangers. I am putting the word out in case anyone can home her.
I have a question for you Wicksey, did Patricia live in Torrox pueblo ?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:49 pm

No, she was on Torrox Costa.

A year since my last post, and still no further forward with sorting out her will as far as I am aware. We are keyholders for her flat and check it from time to time, but we've had no news that probate has been granted yet.