Fine for late tax return

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Fine for late tax return

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:27 pm

I have received a penalty notice for a late tax return. I sent it late September but it did not arrive on time and the notice has arrived six weeks after it's dated. It says that appeals should be made within 30 days of the date of the notice, which I have been unable to comply with. I know there have been strikes in the UK so this must be the reason as I have never had an issue before.
Anyone else in the same boat?
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Fine for late tax return

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:24 pm

it is essential to register with the Agencia Tributaria portal using your digital certificate. If they have any messages for you they are sent to your email as soon as they are created, giving you the chance to look at the problem and to make an appointment to avoid getting fined for not appearing at the time they set.
We got my OH's returns of her Crown pension queried. The email came while we were in the UK but it was easy to rearrange online for when we had returned to Spain. They do not like being ignored, which is how it can look even though it is Correos' fault.
Same applies to the DGT.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:59 am

I think Mark is talking about his UK tax return? I send mine in May so its never been late, but I'm not sure if you can appeal if it is caused by delays in the post. HMRC are notoriously difficult to contact these days, but I would try to appeal, especially if you can show that the notice took so long to reach you Mark. Do you have proof of postage here when you sent it to them in September?

(By coincidence there is an article today's DT saying the Government is giving HMRC 3 months to improve its unacceptable levels of customer service.)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:26 pm

Correct, I'm talking about the UK return. The Spanish one is easy as it is done by a Gestor., due the the fact I'm am self employed and I don't have time to deal with all the various sources of income.