Very Quiet

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Very Quiet

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:15 pm

Good luck with your move. Beckenham used to be in Kent when I lived in that area, has it been swallowed up by London these days? There are a few ex members who still join in, so do pop in from time to time!

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:56 pm

Hola,

Thank you for all the comments; I will try to keep in touch, if only to give (where appropriate) my comments on moving back to the UK and the impossibility of having a permanent address when you have already sold your house and put the proceeds into your English bank! I am extremely lucky in that I had the choice of using four holiday homes for free!

I am trying to repay the kindness by doing odd jobs that the owners don't always make the time to do; removing the cal from the tiled surround (and altering the irrigation system not to wet the tiles), fixing toilet roll holders so they don't move on the wall, power washing the pool surround, painting walls where the gardener has cut back showing un-painted wall etc. all easy jobs when you don't have boisterous grandchildren (aged 2 & 4) running around.

ps Beckenham is now in the London Borough of Bromley

Davexf

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:12 pm

I'm hoping to sell my house this year. Up in the hills, lovely view but having to climb everywhere as we get older is no good. I've a neighbour who is interested but I will have to get a valuation first. I don't want the hassle of having another property but like the area and looking towards other ways of holidaying here.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:24 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:41 pm When i first joined the forum there were many more members posting, as the years have gone by it now seems to be down to the same people who are posting with the exception of the odd person popping up for a little while, never to be seen again for a few more months.
Guilty as charged, Pamela1 although I do keep a browser window permanently open to A.com

I know it is a useful place to visit when people need somewhere to turn to, to help solve a problem or even just to ask a question, the members here have a wealth of knowledge.
I realised yesterday that it's about six weeks until our next visit, and it will be a year since my last time due to illness in 2022, and that our imputed income tax returns needed to be done, - I started reading from around page 85 of the Income Tax topic to be sure that I wouldn't make any errors when completing the forms - nothing seems to have changed for us Luddites who print out the forms and take them to the bank, and spend a couple of hundred euros, with nothing to show for it when the cashier hands me back my copy of the form.

Fortunately two or three years back I printed out Beachcomber's "how to complete the Form 210" instructions and referred to that again this year, and I see that Enrique has stepped into the breach, and is keeping busy.

This afternoon, I have caught up with all of the categories and read through most of the threads that have posts made since around October 2022, and learnt a few new things, but overall as most of you have written, it's noticeable that the quantity of topics has reduced over the past year or more as has the number of "posters".

I'm not a Facebook user, but do moderate on a Neighbourhood forum in the UK, (gosh if only the members were as polite and rule-abiding as those of us on here....) and that and keeping abreast with issues in our Urbanizacion in Spain and hospital out patient clinic appointments and getting up a little later these days all eat into my day; but, I am extremely grateful for the help, guidance and information that has been shared directly and indirectly with me since first joining- I think that was in or around 2004, and although I have mentioned A.com over the years to other non-resident expats, I'm not sure how many, if any have actually taken my advice to sign up...

PS, to DXF Good luck with your move to Beckenham, we have our UK house on the market, and I wish that we could afford to move to Beckenham or nearby Penge where our son and daughter in law live, but we're not as rich as you! On the other hand maybe I'll win the Euromillions tonight.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:24 pm

Is Penge upmarket now, Zanuck? I worked there once and I don't think it was like that in the 1970s, but then many places have become gentrified over the decades.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:08 pm

Yes it is, as is Beckenham.
A 2 up 2 down terrace in Beckenham is about £500k, a semi detached Victorian in Penge around £1.1m upwards and a Victorian detached around £1.4m upwards.
And besides, my son lives there :thumbup:

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:47 pm

zanuck wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:24 pm

PS, to DXF Good luck with your move to Beckenham, we have our UK house on the market, and I wish that we could afford to move to Beckenham or nearby Penge where our son and daughter in law live, but we're not as rich as you! On the other hand maybe I'll win the Euromillions tonight.
Hola,

I am not rich although I did gain many pounds on the sale of my property, I bought for around £63,500 and have put £120,000 into my bank from the sale.

However, a one bedroom retirement flat in Beckenham can be had for around £120K - Google Rightmove

Davexf

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:43 pm

Check the amount of lease left and community fees though. There are some similar properties for sale where we have a house in the UK but a lot only have 60 or so years left on the lease and running costs of 3k+ a year. Mind you, if you're not worried about the resale value then the low lease isn't a problem and you can grab a bargain.