Do you belong to a.......

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Do you belong to a.......

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:13 am

I was pondering, I do a lot of that nowadays.?

Do any members belong to a 'Pensioners Group ' , those eligible of course, or maybe another type of group, art, needlework, sport, walking etc ?

We do, the local 'Pensionistas Group ', and it's not as boring as it sounds, in fact sometimes I think the codgers have more energy and go in them than the youngsters.
Pauline and I go to the weekly dance organised by our local group and really do enjoy it, everyone friendly and they do look after us.
We also go on regular bus trips, something a few years ago I wouldn't of expected us to do, again really enjoyable and a great day out.
On a typical trip we would set off about 8am and first stop would be for breakfast at a roadside restaurant, then usually a visit to a castle or old church or a museum and often to factories for a tour.
Then lunch at a restaurant, usually a really good value meal and drinks and loads of friendly banter.
Then more site seeing and the chance to stop at local bars when we tend to split up into little groups and chat and watch the world go by.
Sometimes we get chance to do a bit of shopping, Pauline always needs some retail therapy,all very simple entertainment but very enjoyable and it really does give us chance to integrate with the local community.
When we return home to our village we are all 'knackered ', but happy bunnies. :D

I really recommend joining in with any local activities, for all ages.

We are also on the Pensionistas Executive Committee, what a grand title , I hear you say, but we do get to put forward our ideas and the locals seem to like our different approach to entertainment.

So, do you belong to any groups, organistaions, activities, please tell...
Saludos,
Gordon

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Do you belong to a.......

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:02 pm

To answer the original question, I do belong to a group. Mine is a Spanish/English speaking one which meet up a couple of times a week. I don't go more than once a month during work periods and probably once a week during holiday periods. I enjoy the social part more than the English/Spanish part. For example, on Friday we met up in a bar, then went for some pintxos, finally ended up doing Karaoke.

I used a web site called MeetUp, where you can get together with like minded people with similar interests.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:14 am

Thank you Mark for your interesting input :thumbup: .

Your lone voice echoed in the wilderness, I wonder what other members do for entertainment ?.

Saludos,
Gordon.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:48 pm

I wonder what other members do for entertainment ?. ... join A.com?!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:59 pm

Not a lot these days, is my answer. I used to dance about 6 hours a week in the winter months pre covid but some classes never restarted and many of us are now 3 years older with various ailments and can't do much anyway.

My OH and I used to walk in the winter in the hills around our house but we've now both got problems that mean we can't manage the hills like we used to. I fell off my new electric bike over a year ago which means I'll only ride it on the flat, so we have to put it in the car and take it elsewhere. That's put paid to us going out together on our bikes as well.

So I'm feeling sorry for myself and old this week. Although still not pension age, I was given a pensioner's entrance to a museum yesterday, and today someone offered me their seat on the bus! Must be my aches and pains have aged me, but it's certainly stopped me doing the pasttimes I used to enjoy. So I'm doing very little socially these days

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:41 pm

I have been involved in amateur dramatics for over 60 years.
Since moving to Spain I have been involved with 3 groups.
One is now just a choir.
One group is now down to about 6 active members although we did put on a successful show last year.
The other one is still just about active.

All suffer from dwindling membership and audiences.

My wife and I used to enjoy ballroom and sequence dancing but my wife's health has deteriorated in the last couple of years, mainly due to vascular dementia and we have had to give up dancing.

The joys of getting old. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:30 am

Wicksey and Gerry,
Thank you for your support . :thumbup:

Covid/ Brexit etc., seem to have put paid to many activities ,isn't it sad how good normal activities can be disrupted so quickly.

But if I may offer a word of advice...Don't give in...Adapt your lifestyle to suit either your old activities or start something new !
And please remember that healthy exercise is not just about the physical side of your activities, keeping your mind active, your brain working etc., is actually probably more important.

Keeping/being occupied can be as simple as something like collecting stamps, boring I hear you say, but no it isn't, because it's like having a new key to a new door, you just have to open that door.
When you step through the door you suddenly find new friends, new interests and you just have to adapt everything to suit your new found interests.
It might sound difficult if you are disabled in any way, but remember that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.
I've always tried to help people with gentle motivation and whatever you turn your hand to, you will feel invigorated and ultimately you will feel healthy in so many ways.
The list of pastimes and hobbies is endless and absolutely everyone will find something interesting if you make the effort.
If I can be of assistance to anyone please feel free to contact me online or in person at the museum,I will help you to open that new door, if I can.
Saludos
Gordon.
ps. .Happy Birthday Gerry for whenever, sorry I'm not good at remembering dates... :wave:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:31 am

OH is a member of the local womens group.They go out for the day to places of interest. Anything from Balnearios to museums and us menfolk can go as well. They have a very active Whatsup group that pings away.

I am a member of the local mens group. Much lower profile. We just sit around on benches in the village talking mostly about olives or the good old days. Often we go to a bar and play dominoes or Brica for hours and maybe have a coffee. Very handy in this cold weather and they have a toilet.

Katy Again
Tourist

Postby Katy Again » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:32 pm

I did lots in Spain. Flamenco lessons, I’m good at Sevillanos. :mrgreen: A women’s group and met for coffee and cake once a week. Monthly we had a dinner in different restaurants. Played bowls for a bit. Knew a few in Fuengirola theatre group although I did not participate. Also did a 10 week stop smoking course run by theAyuntamiento.full of elderly Spanish.
Here volunteer as room guide for National Trust and there are free history talks for us. Made a lot of friends. Member of a theatre group that organises trips to various venues. Play croquet in summer.