Are you going to?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Are you going to?

Postby markwilding » Fri May 05, 2023 11:20 am

Obviously, this in only for British citizens. Is any member going to swear allegiance to the new King?

Francis
Tourist

Re: Are you going to?

Postby Francis » Fri May 05, 2023 11:49 am

Absolutely not! Viva la Republica.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 05, 2023 12:00 pm

A republic! That's an even more stupid idea than Brexit.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 05, 2023 12:52 pm

A king? They kept that quiet!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri May 05, 2023 4:32 pm

El Cid wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:00 pm A republic! That's an even more stupid idea than Brexit.

Sid
I agree

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri May 05, 2023 5:02 pm

methinks ... he should give up monarchy ... donate all his palaces to homeless people ... and share his billions with those in need

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 05, 2023 5:36 pm

Why don't you suggest that to the hundreds of people who have far more money and property than he has.

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri May 05, 2023 5:39 pm

I would suggest that anyone who has as much and/or more money/property than he has should do the same ... of course ... goes without saying

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun May 07, 2023 8:34 am

A simple fact for those who think a republic would be better -
The Crown Estates brought in £230.9m to the Treasury last year 2021/22 and Queen only received £32.1m from the state, so on the face of it there’s a huge net gain for the taxpayer.

And to those who say the monarch should sell up and give it to the poor, like many left wing thinkers, this is the ideology of envy, and I ask would you do as you preach if in the same position? I doubt it.

Its similar to when people who were bearing placards saying "Immigrants Welcome," at a march in London a few weeks ago were asked if they would take an immigrant into their own home, not one person offered. Either their house was too small, or it may upset the family cats, and many more excuses were given.

Many people have good, charitable ideas, until it affects them personaly.
Hardworking resident !!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun May 07, 2023 9:10 am

gavilan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:02 pm methinks ... he should give up monarchy ... donate all his palaces to homeless people ... and share his billions with those in need
How many of your spare bedrooms have you offered to homeless people for free in the depths of winter for a few nights? None I bet.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun May 07, 2023 9:28 am

I do not have the wealth of a monarch (or similar billionaires) but i inherited what feels to me like a generous pension when my American husband died some years ago ... I share this with ... my son who lost his long-term job through covid ... and altho he has found work it is on a much lower salary ... with my daughter who similarly lost her lodger/rent when covid sunk his business ... with grandson struggling to pay a London rent while at university ... with my partner's brother trying to support 2 kids on a NHS salary ... and with the young son of the man who comes here to help me 2 days a week ... unemployed at present ... so share with him too ...

and when an artist friend of mine was homeless ... landlord sold the flat he was renting ... I offerred him a studio flat at this mill ... rent free

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 07, 2023 10:06 am

fincalospinos wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:34 am A simple fact for those who think a republic would be better -
The Crown Estates brought in £230.9m to the Treasury last year 2021/22 and Queen only received £32.1m from the state, so on the face of it there’s a huge net gain for the taxpayer.

And to those who say the monarch should sell up and give it to the poor, like many left wing thinkers, this is the ideology of envy, and I ask would you do as you preach if in the same position? I doubt it.
I certainly would not say I am a republican but to say it being the politics of envy is stock answer rhetoric and is a lazy point of view. Thank god people are starting to see through this and turning away from a government whose main weapon has been these types of slogans with very little substance supporting them.

For me the economic arguments don't stand up on both sides of the debate. On the one hand, even if the monarchy was abolished the crown estate and its history would still exist and generate income to the treasury. France abolished theirs and attract as many if not more tourist than the UK However, there would need to be something to replace the king and were it to be a president, then that would incurs massive costs as well as more turmoil in a country that needs a period of stability after the ideological political experiments of the Tory years.

It might well be that some time in the distant future that this might be put the to British people but I hope the debate would be different to the recent referendums with a plan to what might replace it so people can make an more informed choice.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun May 07, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun May 07, 2023 10:19 am

gavilan wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:28 am I do not have the wealth of a monarch (or similar billionaires) but i inherited what feels to me like a generous pension when my American husband died some years ago ... I share this with ... my son who lost his long-term job through covid ... and altho he has found work it is on a much lower salary ... with my daughter who similarly lost her lodger/rent when covid sunk his business ... with grandson struggling to pay a London rent while at university ... with my partner's brother trying to support 2 kids on a NHS salary ... and with the young son of the man who comes here to help me 2 days a week ... unemployed at present ... so share with him too ...

and when an artist friend of mine was homeless ... landlord sold the flat he was renting ... I offerred him a studio flat at this mill ... rent free
gavilan, you have a kind heart. :)

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun May 07, 2023 2:54 pm

thank you Pamela1 ... it's called 'putting my money where my mouth is' ...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 07, 2023 3:27 pm

Whoops

Katy Again
Tourist

Postby Katy Again » Mon May 08, 2023 10:21 pm

It sort of worked with the Queen but has been lots of gossip about Charles interfering. He was noted for writing to Civil servants which put them in a bad position. Talk of suitcases of money, helped through his mate Fawcett who resigned and set on freelance then employed again. Trimmed down version on Wiki. Then there are all the Palaces/mansions Think the King has use of at least 5. An extended family which is almost a clan. Public are very pliable by propaganda can see how they all fell for Covid scam now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Fawcett

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 pm

Given a choice between President Boris, President Blair or President Sunack, and King Charles then King William….?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon May 08, 2023 11:27 pm

They are all much of a muchness. Just looking at our new king for a moment as leader of the C of E, he isn't much of a role model. Not much to ask when you inherited the title and trappings. I cannot see past adulterer but there is a whole generation that have only known Charles and Camilla .

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue May 09, 2023 11:49 am

The Church of England were ever only "Isthmian League ".. are they still around ?

anyroads

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Tue May 09, 2023 11:50 am

"Adulterer" is true Olive.....but be fair; one of his predecessors divorced two wives, and killed two more. :roll: