Modern Society (Particularly the British)

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.

Should there be a filter at the airport?

yes
13
76%
no
4
24%
 
Total votes: 17

User avatar
daneinspain
Resident
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am
Location: Marbella Born and Bred (For better or worse!)

Modern Society (Particularly the British)

Postby daneinspain » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:37 am

Note: The following are generalisations, ofcourse there are some very nice british people I know most of them but in majority the following is very true. No doubt citizens of other countries can be just as bad but not such a majority. Please dont take the following personally, try to look at it objectively.

I wish the British were more like they were many years ago, when men were gentlemen and women were ladies rather than what they are now - hooligans and tarts/ladettes.

I guess I want to ask why? What happened? Why is it currently so popular to be a commoner? Why would a woman want to down a pint in 7 seconds?

Now dont go accusing me of being a snob or an elitist. Im not saying everyone should wear bowler hats and talk like theyve had something placed up their rear but just some more decency and respect for one another and ones self.

Its just such a shame that Britain has come to what it is now after what it used to be. Youve even lost your motor industry!!!

I find the behaviour of the British in Britain and when they are on holiday disgusting, for example the other night in Puerto Banus I went to the cash machine and in the corner there was a woman sat down, I thought she was asleep or sick but no, she started peeing on the street. Then I walked a few metres and found another woman vomiting into the bushes, I then proceeded to a bar where we were greeted by a little english man who wanted to fight us. This is all before reaching the sanctuary for such people known as linekers where I saw at least 2 seperate fights and large groups of girls singing while they were downing pints.

Can anyone explain this behaviour? or show that it will stop anytime soon?

It may sound a tad extreme but I wish there was some sort of filter at the airport denying entry to such people.

User avatar
keddyboy
Resident
Posts: 832
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Alhaurin el Grande

Postby keddyboy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:24 pm

From what you say and your title I gather you are not British. I FULLY agree with you and I must admit I am ashamed to be British at times. The Costas are overun in the Sumer with Brits and for what reason seem to lose all sense of common sense once the Cruzcampo and Bircadi and Coke hits the brain and not the wallet. Some bars on the coast especially seem to take a perverse pleasure in seeing who they can get drunk the quickest and its always the Brits who go for the bait.
I persoanlly, British through and through keep away from the coast and will not go to Brit bars. There is no excuse for drunkeness, happy yes but to urinate and throw up in the public domain is unforgivable.
I think the sooner the British Pubs use european oopening times and laws the better perhaps so people can control their drinking over a longer period and not make an ass of themselves.
I fully agree and apologise on behalf of my country. However, someone is going to tell us different and quote othe nationalities who behave in the same manner. Still its makes for an interesting forum.
As regard the filter at the airport, I think not as the economy could not sustain the lack of beer money in its already shakey economy!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

frank
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 3784
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:18 am

Postby frank » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:56 pm

Comes to something when a "foreigner" is slagging off the Brits, and you find yourself agreeing with him! :( I can't really disagree with any of it. It's the very reason I always give the likes of Torremolinos, Benalmádena, Puerto Banus, Fuengirola etc a very wide berth. I regard myself as very much working clas, and like you, certainly no snob, but that's not the type of people I want to share my holiday with. So long as they all stay there, fine, I won't be bumping into them.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

User avatar
daneinspain
Resident
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am
Location: Marbella Born and Bred (For better or worse!)

Postby daneinspain » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:47 pm

Frank, you really cant put Puerto Banus in the same category as Benalmadena, Torremolinos etc Its completely different!

User avatar
stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:45 pm
Location: Essex

Postby stellastaff » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:31 pm

So, whats happened to the 'token objection comment'?!! I totally agree with all said and believe the main problem is Politics gone crazy. Not to mention the lack of authority the british govornement and associates have now. (politics again!) Bring back the slipper, a good clip round the ear from the local bobby and national service thats what I say and I'm only 32!!
Donna

frank
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 3784
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:18 am

Postby frank » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:23 am

daneinspain wrote:Frank, you really cant put Puerto Banus in the same category as Benalmadena, Torremolinos etc Its completely different!
Why not? Your story took place in Puerto Banus, didn't it? Doesn't sound very different to me. Is it a better class of people getting drunk and peeing in the stree theret? That whole strip, from the airport almost down to Gib seems pretty much the same to me, all to be avoided! Peeing in the street may be the preserve of drunken Brits, but the Spanish are not against peeing anywhere mind! :D It's quite common driving around, to see them peeing on the side of the road. I guess the difference is they are sober, just nowhere else to go! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

User avatar
daneinspain
Resident
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am
Location: Marbella Born and Bred (For better or worse!)

Postby daneinspain » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:24 pm

Why cant puerto banus be put in the same category as torremolinos and benalmadena?

Because although puerto banus has a lot of these yobs visiting, they are not the vast majority. In the day time I would say less than 10% are yobs and at night time less than 40% whereas in benalmadena its more like 90% day or night.

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:33 pm

Postby citymike » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:06 pm

daneinspain wrote:Why cant puerto banus be put in the same category as torremolinos and benalmadena?

Because although puerto banus has a lot of these yobs visiting, they are not the vast majority. In the day time I would say less than 10% are yobs and at night time less than 40% whereas in benalmadena its more like 90% day or night.
Dane in Spain, your claim of 90% of people in Benalmadena behaving as you describe is quite ridiculous and you've been exposed as a snob.

I was on the costa del sol quite recently and there were a couple of groups which were rowdy but they were the exception. It seemed like a fun place.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:02 pm

Postby sherlock holmes » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:04 pm

Dane in Spain, your claim of 90% of people in exageration behaving as you describe is quite ridiculous and you've been exposed as a snob.

an over exaggeration maybe but generally correct.

"exposed as a snob" so! its not a crime to be discriminating and not want to spend your time with a bunch of drunken oiks wearing football shirts whatever their nationality.

Guest

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:30 pm

daneinspain wrote:Frank, you really cant put Puerto Banus in the same category as Benalmadena, Torremolinos etc Its completely different!
Why, because the yobs and louts have money?

Guest

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:32 pm

daneinspain wrote:Why cant puerto banus be put in the same category as torremolinos and benalmadena?

Because although puerto banus has a lot of these yobs visiting, they are not the vast majority. In the day time I would say less than 10% are yobs and at night time less than 40% whereas in benalmadena its more like 90% day or night.
The yobs move out at night to make way for the 'Escorts' and 'Suppliers'.

Guest

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:33 pm

sherlock holmes wrote:
Dane in Spain, your claim of 90% of people in exageration behaving as you describe is quite ridiculous and you've been exposed as a snob.

an over exaggeration maybe but generally correct.

"exposed as a snob" so! its not a crime to be discriminating and not want to spend your time with a bunch of drunken oiks wearing football shirts whatever their nationality.
Snobbery is not discriminating, it is just plain snobbery.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: not granada anymore;-( near San Pedro

Postby samizdat » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:48 pm

so ? who cares what one person wants to do? To my knowledge snobbery is not a crime. Unless of course, you are one of the Politically Correct brigade?

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:33 pm

Postby citymike » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:54 pm

sherlock holmes wrote: an over exaggeration maybe but generally correct.
Think about that statement again. Is it 90% or not? If it is 90% then the poor souls who make up the 10% are really having rotten luck on their holiday. Even if it were 50% then it just would not be sustainable. How about less than 1% of people who stand out because they are very loud and visible.

Now, imagine a couple of Victorian spinsters crossing the street in their bustling dresses each carrying a parasol and them being accosted by a person whose breathe clearly smells of alcohol. Imagine them protesting "Mr Darcy" and scurrying off. That, to my mind, is how the great Dane came over in his original post.
sherlock holmes wrote: "exposed as a snob" so! its not a crime to be discriminating and not want to spend your time with a bunch of drunken oiks wearing football shirts whatever their nationality
Being a snob is not the same as being discriminating because a snob has already made their mind up before any evidence to the contrary. Hence, you and he would have avoided the company of Albert Camus when he was in his Algeria goalkeepers shirt drinking his absinthe.

By the way, I'm not that convinced that the drunken oiks would value your company anyway but isn't that their loss, they could have met a right philosopher.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: not granada anymore;-( near San Pedro

Postby samizdat » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:52 pm

Being a snob is not the same as being discriminating because a snob has already made their mind up before any evidence to the contrary.



then in this case - by your own definition - thats exactly what you are.

Hence, you and he would have avoided the company of Albert Camus when he was in his Algeria goalkeepers shirt drinking his absinthe.

wrong again, its quite likely - particularly as he was one of the founders of "absurdisum"

User avatar
daneinspain
Resident
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am
Location: Marbella Born and Bred (For better or worse!)

Postby daneinspain » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:56 pm

My statement may have been a bit exaggerated but my point remains the same. Having been born here and lived all my life here I think I am qualified to comment, having seen a lot.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: not granada anymore;-( near San Pedro

Postby samizdat » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:03 pm

My statement may have been a bit exaggerated but my point remains the same. Having been born here and lived all my life here I think I am qualified to comment, having seen a lot.

yes and a lot of the people agreed with your comment on the degeneration of standards in public but apparently the thought police won't allow us to say it :twisted:

User avatar
daneinspain
Resident
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am
Location: Marbella Born and Bred (For better or worse!)

Postby daneinspain » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:11 pm

quite right samizdat, maybe I and also you and others who agree arent politically correct enough!

Guest

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:28 pm

Sam and Dane, because people do not have your love of the port and the elite who frequent it does not make them political correct activists. Some of us are happy to live and let live, we do not want to turn Spain into OUR own domain.
You have to look no further than these boards to see that there are some who think they are superior in intellect and breeding to others and wish to restrict the access of anyone who does not hold their pompous ideals in awe.
If I disagree with someone I will argue the point or ignore them, I will not try to ban them be it from the costas or this forum.

User avatar
daneinspain
Resident
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am
Location: Marbella Born and Bred (For better or worse!)

Postby daneinspain » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:03 pm

Angel 2005, dont be so eager to brand us elitists or snobs - its irrelevant.

Its nothing to do with us wanting to be nazi dictators, dont be so ridiculous.

Live and let live yes but when you go out to have a good time to the same place you have been for over 20 years and suddenly you get approached by yobs wanting to fight you, by drunken louts vomiting at every corner it is not something that can be ignored.

My comments have nothing to do with elitism, superiority, intellect or breeding it is simply that these yobs are disgusting and ruin the experience for everyone else because they cant find it within themselves to behave in a respectful manner, respect for others and more importantly for themselves.Nor is it that they have an opinion and its a simple matter of disagreement.

With all due respect mr angel, I dont think you have understood our point and thought it out. You have seemed very eager to jump and accuse us of being elitist dictators.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests