Dogs in and out of Gibraltar

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dogs in and out of Gibraltar

Postby poppylou » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:25 pm

Does anyone know the set up for taking dogs in and out of Gibraltar by car from Spain? We would like to visit for a weekend, taking the dogs with us. Does Gibraltar count as the UK for having the usual treatments before visiting? We have visited a local dog owner there before, and satisfied ourselves that sufficient spots for "walkies" are available.

Thanks for any help you can give.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:02 pm

The Gibraltar tourist site http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/tourism/gen ... mation.htm
seems to suggest that as long as they have rabies vaccine, there should be no prob.

FIFI
Tourist

Postby FIFI » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:23 pm

Gibraltar definately qualifies as UK with regard to dogs. You need a FULL passport, just as you would to get back into the UK.
I asked Customs in Gib. about this because, like you I wanted to take the car in with the dog in the back and was told No Way without the passport.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:22 pm

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/gov_depts/p ... ment_5.htm
would seem to confirm FIFI's experience. Best to be prepared!

FionaR
Tourist

Postby FionaR » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:43 pm

You don´t need the FULL passport like for the UK, with rabies titre blood test. For the UK you have to have the blood test and then wait 6 months before entry back into the UK, but for Gib all you need is the blue pet passport with up to date yearly booster (distemper, hepititus, parvo virus, leptospirosis, para influenza) and the rabies vac.

I have heard one client at our vet clinic who just has a normal vac certificate which he has never been asked to produce, and they just pat the dog on the head and let him through!!!! Mind you I always see a number of dogs trotting backwards and forwards through the frontier, me and my mum always say that their owners have sent them for ciggies!!!!

Hope this helps.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:08 am

Careful, I have heard stories about dogs at the frontier.
Refused entry, and turned back - OK
Impounded for 24 hrs - fairly OK
Impounded and never seen again - obviously not OK.
They will give you the *beep* about inoculations. etc
Gib customs are even more sensitive than Spanish, after the cruise liner thing.

FionaR
Tourist

Postby FionaR » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:33 pm

Well as long as you have your little blue book with up to date vaccines then you will be safe...... apparently. Think they make it up as they go along though!