Donor Cards

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Donor Cards

Postby MaggieMay » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:18 am

Reading about George Best reminded me :( , I carry a donor card in the UK, whats the equivalent system in Spain? Are there cards that you can pick up from Hospitals or Doctors surgeries?
I wear it well...........

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:56 pm

Don't know but seeing as how the Spanish Health Service won't even accept British blood they probably won't be too keen on our bits and pieces either!

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:15 pm

Are you serious? They won't accept British blood? Do they not accept any other nationalities blood or just Brits?

Well I'm not that keen on my bits and pieces myself, but thought they may do some other poor soul a turn for awhile should the unthinkable happen.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:26 pm

They won't accept British blood?
That's because of the "Mad cow disease"
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 pm

Ah so they will take it from us fellas then :wink:

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:13 pm

Doubt it Spanish, if they are concerned about Mad Cow, they are likely to be concerned about Foot & Mouth. :wink:

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:18 pm

I don't know if they'll take bits from foreigners, but Spain has an "opt out" policy, whereby they assume they can take organs unless you have opted out of the system.

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andy1 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:28 pm

Hillybilly,

My friend queued up for ages to give blood only for them to turn around and say they wouldnt accept it, she insisted that she was vegetarian and had been for years and they took it. May be a tactic to use in future if you are still feeling charitable (not sure I would)!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:27 pm

I did argue the very same point as I've been vegetarian for 30 years but they weren't having any of it! What annoyed me at the time was, as did your friend, queueing up for over an hour, filling in all the paperwork and reading all the info that is provided, none of which said they wouldn't take foreign blood. Even the Spanish blood doning website says they accept blood regardless of race, creed blah blah blah...Surely all blood is screened anyway?
Actually there's an opportunity here - for some enterprising soul to set up the Expat Blood Bank.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:03 pm

I once put my donor card into a cash machine by mistake, cost me an arm and a leg. :shock:

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:27 pm

gretch wrote:I once put my donor card into a cash machine by mistake, cost me an arm and a leg. :shock:
Not bad gretch, not bad! A bit like when Adam said to God, "I want a sex mad woman who's fantastically intelligent, doesn't spend money and will never argue with me", god looked at Adam indulgently and said, well it's possible, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg!!

Adam looked worriedly at God and said "What can I get for a rib" !!

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

say no more

Postby k » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:14 am

Syd, you have just proved to millions that men never give anything constructive. If you weren't originally self, self ,self, then maybe you men might find yourselves living in your ideal world. Us women then had to rely on reproduction to try and better the 'half committed' of the pair, and, after all these years, we are still trying to achieve it today.
I would add a smilie, but the ladies wouldn't be pleased as it might intimate that I am joking !

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:52 am

they accept blood regardless of race
A Spanish friend and blood doner can no longer give blood because he was in England " mad cow " and an English friend who gives blood twice a year, but was not in England during the "mad cow". Accepting blood has nothing to do with the race.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:00 am

silver wrote:
They won't accept British blood?
That's because of the "Mad cow disease"
I could understand that if Spain hadn't had mad cow disease! But they had several hundred cases, that they admitted to.

Oviedo, M. J. I.
Los controles de la enfermedad de las «vacas locas» que se llevan a cabo en Asturias han detectado el primer caso del año en la región, que eleva a 49 el total desde que comenzaron a realizarse los análisis en el año 2001, según informó el Ministerio de Agricultura.
El año 2004 marcó el récord de casos de «vacas locas» en Asturias, desde que apareció la primera res enferma en 2001. El número de animales afectados por la encefalopatía espongiforme bovina (EEB) en los pasados doce meses ascendió a dieciséis. En el resto de España la tendencia fue la contraria. El año pasado, en el conjunto del país se confirmaron 137 casos, un 18 por ciento menos que en 2003, año que supuso, hasta ahora, el cénit de la epidemia, con 167 reses enfermas.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?