Minimum Wage in Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
sassy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sassy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:28 pm

Syd Barrett wrote:Sassy, I'm not questioning your integrity or interpretation of the law, but are you sure that last bit's legal, the bit about, building the extra into the monthly salary. As I understood it, you have, by law to pay the extra two months seperately, although I'm not an employer, just seeking clarification because I will soon be employing someone on a permanent basis (if it's cost effective) and need to be clear about this, thanks!
Hi Syd

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, I wanted to take a look at our contracts & employees nominas and there is a section on the nominas where it shows we pay the extra each month as opposed to 2 extra months. Our nominas and wage control is managed by an assesore who also confirmed many companies operate in this way.

Sass

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

extra 2 months pay

Postby pilgrim » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:08 pm

The Spanish company my husband worked for did not pay the extra two months money, when he asked his spanish colleagues about this, they said some do and some don't, they have a 'christmas do' at a very good restaurant and a very generous goody box of food, wine, spirits and liquors and they seemed more than happy with this.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:58 pm

Sassy, thanks for your reply, I guess it's easier in the long term to pay the extra every month rather than get stuffed for an extra two months at the end of every fiscal year.
I need as much info as I can get on the subject of employing people, both professional and amateur, I know Spanish employment laws can be a nightmare!!

sassy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sassy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:34 pm

Hi Syd

Glad to be of help, if I knew back then what I know now, well I don't know if we would have opened businesses up on the coast, hindsight is a wonderful thing! My best advice for you is to get yourself the best legal labour advice you can, whether this is from a trusted labour lawyer or a recommended assesore, makes no difference if you are hiring 1 member of staff or 100, please do seek their advice. Every week I learn something new about the Spanish employment/labour laws and their help and assistance has been invaluable.

Sass

expat
Tourist

Postby expat » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:49 am

Syd Barrett wrote:Sassy, I'm not questioning your integrity or interpretation of the law, but are you sure that last bit's legal, the bit about, building the extra into the monthly salary. As I understood it, you have, by law to pay the extra two months seperately, although I'm not an employer, just seeking clarification because I will soon be employing someone on a permanent basis (if it's cost effective) and need to be clear about this, thanks!
Syd this is a common practice and perfectly legal. My wife was payed in this fashion for three years and although not as much fun as getting that extra check, it works out to the same money.

Spanish labor laws tend to favor the employee vice the employer and the problem is that many unscrupulous employers will frequently sack an employee just prior to being forced to offer them an indefinate contract.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:16 pm

Thanks for the leg up folks, I'm an artist so not really wise in the ways of finance,I get it then I spend it then I wait till I get some more.
I'd also be grateful for the following info: what's the minimum number of hours I can employ someone for and call it a full time job, ie I want to employ a particular person for her special skills but as I see it at the moment I can't give her more than thirty hours per week, what's the story, anyone help?

expat
Tourist

Postby expat » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:36 pm

Syd,
Wife informs that 40 hours is the minimum number to consider the employment full time. Not sure how it will affect you having to hire for 30 and consider it part time though.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi Expat

I would have to query that. I don't know about in Spain, but in the UK almost all office workers are on 37 or 37.5 hours per week, and they are considered full time
I'm nobody :( and nobody's perfect. Therefore, I'm perfect :lol:

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:21 pm

I believe in the European Union it`s 40 hrs, (maybe wrong) but sure I have read it somewhere.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!