Receiving UK Winter Fuel Allowance in Spain.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:47 pm

We have a norwegian wood burner, sounds similar to the swedish one. Hate it but its very effective and fairly clean. Read in a spanish mag yesterday that average temperatures in the home should be 20c lounge etc 16c bedrooms and 23c bathrooms. seems a bit low to me I set our CH at 26C here.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:56 pm

Why do you hate it Katy, ours is big (about 1 sq metre of floor space and about 1 metre 70 cms tall (I'll measure it later) it's grey, polished granite and not unattractive, and easy to clean, if I can work out how to do it I'll transfer some pictures of it to my computer, anyone know how to do this by the way, I have a Nokia cellphone (6670, I think) this retro looking thing with 2 sharp corners and 2 rounded ones, with inbuilt video and still camera but haven't worked out how to use it.
How do I transfer the images from the phone to the laptop, sincerely, I have no clue how to do this, any help appreciated!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:17 pm

Hate may be too strong a word, just maybe it doesn't go with the room. It was expensive though. Perhaps I am more for a flat screen tele type of fire but can't stand the gas bottles. The room is very cosy even early morning. (even in a T-shirt :) )

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:43 pm

Jade, have you tried the Spanish thermal sheets? Bliss.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:01 pm

Marina, not heard of it. Please tell me more, tell more, aha.... aha.... hehehehehehehe, doing an Oliva Newton John here :lol: . Please give me more details. What is it called in Spanish please?
Hubby is warm blooded whereas I feel cold easily.

No heating in the bedroom lol as he will feel being baked in it 8)
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:43 pm

Jade, I think they are just called "sabanas termicas". I got ours from a market stall and they cost about 17€, though I've seen them at up to 20€.

They don't tend to come in plain, ours looked highly patterned in the packet, but the pattern turned out to be just on a border. They are so cosy that it's worth sacrificing style for comfort.

They look a little like the old fashioned brushed nylon sheets but have a slightly fleecy feel to them.

I also have a warm blooded husband and I didn't think he would like these at all, but he loves them. So much so, it's difficult to get him up in the mornings! I love them because the bed just doesn't feel cold to get into and it stays warm all night.

They dry very quickly after washing, too.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks Marina for the feedback.
On the heating in the bedroom before and hubby asked was I trying to roast him 8)

We have thicker duvets and blankets but they are too cumbersome for me alone. Imagine double layers on top of me .... gosh, I need to breathe too, hehehehehhehe.

You gave me a good tip pertaining to the fleece cover as we do have another brand new silk duvet. I shall use a separate one for myself alone and see how it goes. If it fails, I shall take up on your advice.

Cheerios and stay warm.

chicdiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chicdiz » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:58 am

Isn't it ironic that my post, which was an angry response to those of you grumbling about pensioners receiving UK pensions and allowances in Spain, set most of you off about the weather - nice safe subject, eh! LOL. Apart from Katy, that is. Yes, like you, I hope there will be enough in the pot for you and others when facing your advancing years. And are those of you who disapprove of the payments going to refuse yours when the time comes, then?!

No, I wasn't surprised by the winters here - I'd been visiting Spain for the past 45 years, in all seasons: I just knew that the winters were shorter and generally less severe than my home in the West Country. And I was no stranger to chopping and humping logs and gas bottles at various times in my life - it has just got harder and slower! I grew up at a time when central heating was for the very rich and a weekly bath at the public Slipper Baths and a w.c. at the end of the garden was the norm. (Cue here for one of those Pythonesque North country "who had it worse" dialogues! LOL)

So, the lovely snuggly sheets some of you mention, electric blanket (dual controlled) log fires and a catalytic gas fire fit the bill. A flick of the switch for central heating would be great, but I don't know if the cost justifies such a short span of winter-time.

And, finally, no, we don't wish we were back in UK in a cosy, centrally heated bungalow. Why would we? Quality of life here is far superior for us, with lovely neighbours; fruits, veg, fish and meat that taste like the real food of my childhood; time to devote to hobbies and interests and even - from time to time - visit this generally-helpful forum.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:18 pm

What a whinger, Eh!!

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:27 pm

Ah yes, the good old days of outside toilets, hot water bottles, four kids to a bed, public baths and the nit nurse etc. But thankfully those conditions no longer exist in Britain. It just worries me why anyone would want to go back to them at 65 years old.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:46 pm

Oooooooooooooooooooooo Marinaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I was wrapped up like a cocoon last night in my silk duvet, snug as a bug in a rug :lol:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr, the houses here are definitely not built for winter.
I cried and was so miserable in our rented house when I first arrived close to three years ago. It was also my visit to Spain. There were no fireplace and radiators around the house except for a standing one in the living room. It was a 3 storey house with marble flooring near the sea.

Thank God, we had moved and bought our own house.

Chicdiz, I can understand how miserable and depressing it can be when one does not have the means for essential fuel during winter based on the above experience :oops:

chicdiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chicdiz » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:33 pm

Kevin - I think you must be a townie and/or overly fond of your Avatar, for you have completely missed the point. Hundreds of thousands of people in rural areas all over Europe bring in gas bottles and logs. Spain is no exception - all our neighbours live this way, hale and hearty with the exercise, well into older age. Maybe your idea of life ("living the dream" - what a cliche) is lying by your pool, with your cheap fags and booze!

And just for the record, if I am whinging at all it is not about money or the weather - it's about those mean-spirited, bullying folk on this forum who can't wait to have a pop at anyone who's not living like them.

And I think I've said all I want to say on this topic......

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:50 pm

Youre right chicdiz, Im gonna rip out my central heating as soon as possible. Chopping up logs sounds great fun.
Who do you think you are kidding? Like most people, you moved to Spain not to be hale and hearty but a) because its cheap and b) because you thought the climate was better, except you got the last one wrong.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:54 pm

Kevin77, from your postings it sounds like you don't believe that anybody actually enjoys their life in Spain. Are you just trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision not to live in Spain?
Of course many Brits don't do much research and find themselves cold in a Spanish winter but there are fools everywhere.

The self-deluding folk who have a well, solar power, woodburner etc. may turn out to be the smart ones when or if our gas, electric and water supplies run short or just become ridiculously expensive.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:47 pm

kevin77 wrote:Who do you think you are kidding? Like most people, you moved to Spain not to be hale and hearty but a) because its cheap and b) because you thought the climate was better, except you got the last one wrong.
Have to agree with Kevin, I can't believe that people that moved to Spain, especially to retire, did so with the intention of humping logs, bombonas de butano etc around. Where is the fun in that? And where is the fun in seeking out thermal sheets etc just to be warm in bed? You're a load of masochists if you regard that as retirement fun. ;-)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:00 pm

It must feel wonderful to be so sure of other people's motivation.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:13 pm

Humping logs might be preferable to paying huge gas bills, extortionate council tax bills, water rates etc. when I eventually retire.

I'm sure you do agree with Kevin, Frank. From your combined postings you could be the same person for all I know.

What constitutes an enjoyable retirement anyway and what is wrong with a bit of light work. Aren't we confusing retirement with infirmity here?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:51 pm

It must feel wonderful to be so sure of other people's motivation.
Thanks Alan, I think ive touched on the two main reasons for many people choosing to retire to Andalucia. Havent I? Perhaps the memory of a holiday when the sun shone all week and a round of drinks left you change from 5 euros. A bit like A.com land. People take that idea, and dont look into the detail .... winter temps, lack of services etc... especially when buying in remote areas.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:29 pm

Humping logs might be preferable to paying huge gas bills, extortionate council tax bills, water rates etc. when I eventually retire
Spoken like a trendy country dweller from the Cheshire set!
Im sure a lot of the campesinos in villages in Andalucia where Brits are now settling would not turn down the opportunity of mains sewerage, water, gas, electric and a reliable phone line.
By the way I am not called Frank.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:40 pm

Kevin77, you have an amazing propensity for gross generalisations. You instantly pigeon-hole me into some sort of Cheshire country-type.
Well ok, it gets worse. I'm a Scouser who happens to live in Cheshire. So I guess I would pinch your car wheels given half a chance, whilst wearing green wellies driving a 4x4!

LOL.