Postal Service

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
mijasgolf
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postal Service

Postby mijasgolf » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:10 pm

Does anyone know how long a letter should take from andalucia to benidorm if it was posted saturday

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:23 am

I would assume that would depend on what part of Andalucia, It is vast. From our area I would say no more than three working days, but I know from Benalmadena and surrounding area's any post to us can take two or three weeks appears to sit somewhere down that way.
post in and out of Albunol moves rather fast.

John M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Postal Service

Postby John M » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:09 am

mijasgolf wrote:Does anyone know how long a letter should take from andalucia to benidorm if it was posted saturday
Hi mijasgolf,

I posted a cheque to my sister in Scotland from the Spanish Post Office in Estepona last summer and it sat in the Post Office for FOUR WEEKS before it was even despatched. The dates could be checked from the date on the cheque and the franking date :!:

I don't know if this is typical but our daily delivery is now every second day at best, sometimes only two a week.

I now use the Post Office in Marbella for outgoing mail, where the service is excellent. The whole service here is a bit hit and miss, they are still chasing a registered letter sent from Tenerife two and a half years ago :roll:

In your specific case, the backlogs from the December Bank Holidays and the Christmas bulge will be taking an additional toll on the service :cry:

Best of luck :!:
Andalucia really is the
Centre of the Universe

:D

redsoxbrit
Resident

Post Office

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:54 am

The postal service here in Coin is abysmal! A bank statement from UK took 5 days to reach us but a birthday card took 3 weeks! The post lady can't always be bothered to ring our bell so post is often left on the stairs, pushed under the door or just taken back to the Correos. We have wised up to this now and call in once a week to ask if there is any post for our address. We are always told that if there was it would be delivered but after much persistence they shuffle out to the back and usually return with a handful of undelivered letters, totally unrepentant. If that's what we have to do then so be it - they haven't lost anything yet so for that we are grateful!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Post Office

Postby hillybilly » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:23 am

redsoxbrit wrote:The post lady can't always be bothered to ring our bell so post is often left on the stairs, pushed under the door or just taken back to the Correos.
If the front window of the house is open then my mail is literally THROWN in through it. Always makes me laugh, unless I happen to be walking past it at the time.
Also, one of our postmen is absolutely drop dead gorgeous and is reportedly the town gigolo so the post is sometimes delivered VERY late :wink:

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:58 am

sent an xmas card from jersey to next door spanish neighbour in cortes de la frontera.............5 days door to door which was obviously not delivered by the cartero bestia en la cama !! :mrgreen: :!:

John M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Post Office

Postby John M » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:34 pm

redsoxbrit wrote:The post lady can't always be bothered to ring our bell so post is often left on the stairs, pushed under the door or just taken back to the Correos.
I have delivered the mail in my little Community (123 properties) while the Administrator is on holiday in Madrid for a couple of weeks. Mail arives in the Admin Office as and when! There are curently about half the houses occupied over the festive season, but only 10% have mailboxes. It's a real b u g g e r having to try and get mail under doors, some are so tight it's impossible and large envelopes have to be 'stuck behing the window shuters'. Mailboxes only cost a few euros + a couple of minutes to secure them on the wall. If you lash out on one of these you MAY get your mail delivered unless, of course, you live in the bundu :cry: 2Km. up a dirt track :cry: :cry:
Andalucia really is the
Centre of the Universe

:D

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:33 pm

Hi Mijas Golf!

If you actually are on Mijas Golf use the post box close to the roundabout near the Byblos Hotel, for some reason post gets to where you need it very quickly from there. I have posted to UK from there on several occasions and it has got there in 4 days or less!!! Perhaps they collect it with the Byblos post .... they do seem to get good services all round there .... I know they had water in the summer when no one else did! From other boxes or Correos offices locally it has taken much longer. Hope that helps!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:59 pm

In July this year received a Christmas parcel posted 1st Dec, 2004!!! The parcel had chocolate money, paxo and loads of other bits and bobs and had apparently been to Malaya not Malaga, still our Asian friends in the UK postal service get carried away don't they especially from the Gatwick Sorting Office. However, I find the letter postal service excellent and reaches UK within three days.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

MAil

Postby meseta » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:11 am

Yesterday, the 29th, I received a letter posted in Zaragoza on the 23rd; Not too shabby !

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:50 pm

Personal experience....

A parcel sent three years ago from San Francisco, USA to here, never arrived. 8)

Still waiting for a parcel sent 20 days ago from North Carolina, USA :roll:

Parcels to/fro from UK/Spain vice versa received within 3 days. :P

Xmas card sent from Chiclana took a day :P
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:22 am

It's not just the Spanish postal service that is a disaster.

I once sent a letter containing an important document from Almería to Barcelona with SEUR. It never arrived and was never found.

Several years later I sent another important letter from Málaga to Scotland by SEUR. It never arrived and was never found.

I have since used MRW with no problems but a few weeks ago someone sent me a letter containing an important document from Fuengirola just a few kilometres down the road, you guessed it, by SEUR.

They telephoned me about a week after it had been sent and said that they didn't deliver to rural areas and that I had to pick it up from the nearest depot. This is in Los Boliches which is further away from where I live than the office of the person in Fuengirola who sent it.

I told them to take it back to the sender and I would collect it directly from him. It has not been seen since!

phil_euro
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phil_euro » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:48 am

When we moved into our place 5 years ago we had mail 3 times a week. But, they have since built about 2000 houses around us (from the original 200) and now we get it every 2 - 3 weeks as they haven't allocated us another postman!
Also, I've gone to the post office and asked if I could just get my mail from them, but I was informed that because of where we live they have to deliver it, not let us pick it up.
Oh well. For urgent things I have my post delivered to my wife's office.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:12 am

Beachcomber, sorry to hear about your experience. :oops:

I noticed all gifts sent to hubby's office were received without failed.

Some addressed to the house were presumably lost forever.

I used MRW once to send a legal document abroad. Very efficient
and the addressee received the document within 3 days as promised.
But the courier fee was absurb at 50 Euros for an A4 sized envelope
containing a two page legal documents. 8)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:11 pm

i´m still waiting for a letter that was sent from la linea before christmas. i wonder if i´ll ever get it ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:52 pm

I’ve just received a Christmas gift from my daughter today. She posted it in England on 12 Dec’, when I told postie I’d been waiting for it, he pointed to a sticker that stated that it hadn’t arrive in the Spanish postal system until 31 Dec’.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:08 am

A Spanish friend advised that usually letters and parcels sent to an office address are 'safer' and not subjected to missing enroute to the purported destinations.
Anyone heard of the above?

My friend went to the local post office to collect a parcel sent from UK.
The parcel was apparently opened and a bar of chocolate missing 8)

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... received the Xmas parcel from the States yesterday. Better late than never. :P