Residential Courses in Andalucia

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
John M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Residential Courses in Andalucia

Postby John M » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:04 pm

Has anyone attended a residential course for learning Spanish in Andalucia? Or do you know someone who has?
Any recommendations would be welcome. There are lots of web sites and schools available and it would be nice to have an unprejudiced opinion.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:23 am

:idea: It could be a good little business for a Spanish family who can speak English to start.

Bed, breakfast, Spanish lessons and evening meal.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:50 am

safeashouses wrote::idea: It could be a good little business for a Spanish family who can speak English to start.
Lots of people can speak a language, but to teach a language is something different! :D With language schools, you should at least be taught by people that have been trained to teach a language, ie they should be language teachers! ;-) Formal, structured classes will be of more benefit than casual conversations with someone that doesn't really know his own langauge. And that is really what you are paying for when you attend a language school. They are trained linguists, and believe me, it makes a huge difference. Others here will recommend you simply wander the hills picking up bad Spanish from the locals, so that's always an option. Wouldn't be my choice, but it seems to suit a few.
On a personal level, I have twice attended the Escuela de Idiomas in Nerja, http://www.idnerja.es/ and found it to be very good. They have their own residencia where you can stay, and it's of a good standard. I went the second time with a friend, who is handicapped, because they have lifts to all floors, so everything was accessible to him.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:15 pm

I guess it depends on how seriously you want to take the learning process, I know which 'method' I would prefer. I have taken 'serious' spanish lessons, three terms worth, but I don't want to be able to pass a GCE in it only to converse with the locals and I've found them to be very forgiving if you make the attempt.

John M
Andalucia.com Amigo

RESIDENTIAL Courses

Postby John M » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:49 pm

Thanks for your replies and PMs. I have now decided to do a four week residential course in Seville living with a Spanish family, attending classes each day and with the option of flamenco and/or spanish cooking lessons. I hope to start in mid February this year.

However there are quite a number of these courses :? . Has anyone any hints or recommendations (PM please if being specific as the Admin on this Forum will not allow advertising).

I have done a number of day class lessons, and my written Spanish is fine, but too slow for an extended conversation.

Again many thanks.
Andalucia really is the
Centre of the Universe

:D

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: RESIDENTIAL Courses

Postby frank » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Good for you! :D I envy you, certainly a nice part of Spain to learn Spanish Perhaps my favourite city. Whilst the tutors will speak with a fairly neutral accent, the locals certainly won't! Staying with a family is an excellent idea, it will certainly help get the maximum out of your month there. I have no personal knowledge of schools there, but if you pick one of the larger "chains" you should do OK. Ones like Don Quijote, for example. Best of luck!
Regards, Frank

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:18 pm

Others here will recommend you simply wander the hills picking up bad Spanish from the locals
Yes John, some members of A.com have a romantic notion that you can learn 'proper' Spanish sat at the bar in the local village sipping a cup of coffee- if only it were true, but its a myth. You will pick up some local words true,but they will be useless if you travel out of the district. Your idea of doing a residential course sounds better and you will learn more in four weeks than in a year of 'tuiton' in local slang .

fullmonty
Tourist

Postby fullmonty » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:27 pm

I have/am using both methods.

I went to formal classes - and it is essential IMHO that when you do so that you live with a local family. I found it useful. (I am assuming it is an "immersion" course).

I also "exchange" classes of an hour at a time with a local Spanish friend anxious to practise English. Here you might consider using a book and do thirty minutes of each language. I speak Spanish and she speaks Englsih. We just do conversation - but I was a teacher which helps - though not a language teacher.

Anyway good luck and keep trying. I started at 61 years of age.

Best regards,

Dave
I don?t do drugs. I get the same effect standing up really fast.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:34 pm

kevin77 wrote:
Others here will recommend you simply wander the hills picking up bad Spanish from the locals
Yes John, some members of A.com have a romantic notion that you can learn 'proper' Spanish sat at the bar in the local village sipping a cup of coffee- if only it were true, but its a myth. You will pick up some local words true,but they will be useless if you travel out of the district. Your idea of doing a residential course sounds better and you will learn more in four weeks than in a year of 'tuiton' in local slang .
And they say things like, "But I only want to talk to the locals", as if structured learning somehow precludes you from talking to locals. That's what you do after the lessons, with the family, or in the bar! ;-)
Regards, Frank

indalo
Tourist

Postby indalo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:19 pm

There is an excellent language school in Roquetas de Mar - possibly a bit cheaper than the Mlalaga area - dont know!!

I myself have been in a two week residential course and now teach English there - if you would like to know more pm me

John M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Immersion Courses

Postby John M » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks for all your replies and PMs. I have now booked a four week immersion course living with a Spanish family in Seville, daily language lessons, evening flamenco lessons and 'cultural' tours.

I know four weeks is not long, but I have been doing formal class lessons for 3 years here, and quite a few in UK before I moved over.

I chose Seville as I love the city, and the learning culture is well established there.
Andalucia really is the
Centre of the Universe

:D