Best way to transfer 4,000 Euros to UK?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Best way to transfer 4,000 Euros to UK?

Postby Lion » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:00 pm

Last time I did this I got proper stitched up by Unicaja, they charged me a % of the transaction and I ended up paying around 350 Euros commission :twisted:

Rather than give them anymore money (they are take, take, take and charge commission just for breathing) has anyone got a suggestion?

I might just take the Euros back to UK and cash them in a bank/post office rather than let Unicaja do it.

Before someone suggests doing it through Halifax I don't hold an account with them, so any other suggestions?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Best way to transfer 4,000 Euros to UK?

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:27 pm

I use my CAM account for money transfers as can see the amount of commission they want to charge before agreeing the transaction online.

Otherwise cash it when back in UK.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:29 pm

I managed to bait a Nigerian scammer for about a month into thinking he was getting over £4000 from one of those emails. :lol:

Anyway, back on topic, anyone any ideas, I don't really want to have the hassle of setting up an account with one of these finance companies unless I have to.

elguiri

Postby elguiri » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:42 pm

Have you tried these guys? They have an office at Comercial Las Rampas, Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Do you not know anyone who needs euros in Spain who could pay you the sterling in the UK? This is advantageous to both side as no commissions or fees are involved but it does involve a high degree of mutual trust.

If you do decide to take the cash back you will be OK because you are well under the limit but DO NOT try to take more then €6.000 per person out of the country in cash.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:57 pm

Take a look at Moneybookers. WE've used them several times and always got a good rate. Your primary account that you transfer from must be in your country of residence, but after that you can transfer to any back you like

Alison
AlisonB

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:40 pm

why not open a paypal account, withdraw the money from your bank accout to either pay a friend in the uk or to even pay yourself (will that work?)

open a paypal account, pay me €4000 for a "car" (or something else, services, i dont know) , i´ll decline it, it will still be in your (paypal) account, and u can withdraw it to a uk (bank) account when you are back there ? i dont know if that would work but i think so.

tell the bank you want it, withdraw it, take it in cash ?

withdraw it, give it to me tomorrow or thursday, i´ll take it back on thursday and pay it into your english bank account ?

i reckon cash is the easiest? take euros and change it at the post office in the uk ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:51 pm

or try western union? mail money to your friend and they can go and collect it ? i cant remember what comission they charge ?

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:51 pm

Shame I don't know anyone who wants to buy the Euros as that would have worked well.

I already have a Paypal account, but can't see how I can use it in this instance as Unicaja (robbing barstewards) would probably charge 1,000 Euros for transferring the money to it in the first place :cry:
i reckon cash is the easiest? take euros and change it at the post office in the uk ?
Yep, I reckon I will take cash, The Post Office only do it commission free if you have bought it there in the first place though right?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:06 pm

no idea i´ve never changed money there, i´ll try and make some enquieries?

or., look on their website?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:34 pm

I'll be out in a few months, if you can wait till then, I'll take it back for you! 8)
Honest Frank!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Annabell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Annabell » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:25 am

Try Worldwide Currencies, they are really efficient and don't charge commission.
I've used them a few times now and have always delivered when they say they will.

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:34 pm

Annabell

The dont charge commission stuff does not mean anything,its all about the rate they give you as they can more than recoupe the commission with a not so good currency rate.A good rate for £ to € or vica versa should be say commercial rate 1.46 € to £ is if you get 1.44 or higher,the fee should be in comparison to what you are sending,a £15 fee for less than £500 is going to be worse than a £15 fee for £5000,you have to weigh up both fee and rate.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:43 pm

I suppose you could open an account with Banca March here, pop in the money (don't transfer from Unicaja or you pay commission) and then send commission free to their office in London in sterling. Depends whether you are in easy reach at either end. It operates like Halifax but a bit easier to open accounts. Personally I would buy a bum bag as I agree with Marios that commissions are just hidden in disadvantageous exchange rates.

Jade138
Resident

Re: Best way to transfer 4,000 Euros to UK?

Postby Jade138 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:27 am

Lion wrote:Last time I did this I got proper stitched up by Unicaja, they charged me a % of the transaction and I ended up paying around 350 Euros commission :twisted:
Gosh that was day light robbery in my opinion :evil:

We use Barclay Bank here and are usually charged 35 Euros ish for Telegraphic transfer.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby petert74 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:43 pm

I believe the easiest way to send money back to the UK is having a sterling account in Gibraltar. Pay in the Euros in to the account, they do the exchange and then send a cheque in sterling back to the UK from GIbraltar. Will get there the next day.

We opened accounts at Barclays and Natwest in Gib with spanish address no problem.

The only hassle is actually going to gib, and that bank statements will go from Gib to Uk then back to Spain as post does not cross the border.

Never go on Friday at the end of the month as it will be busy.

I use my spanish bank account only when I have to because I disagree with their commission and bank charges.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:26 pm

Peter, IMO, that sounds kind of hassle to me.

We have an account with Barclays in Jerez. All banking transactions and debits for monthly utilities are paid out from here.

We also have an account with Natwest in UK and our monthly statements are sent from UK to us in Spain.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:07 pm

After reading the above I think I am just going to take the cash back and cash it in a bank/post office, if it was a larger amount I would go through a finance company but it's too much hassle for 4,000 Euros IMO.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:09 pm

I have contacted my bank and they will charge 2% commission so still looking for an option, if I go through one of these finance companies I think Unicaja will still take a huge cut for transferring it to them.

I want to take the cash out of Unicaja and go that route, does anyone know what commission rate the Post Office charge in UK? (I know it's free but that's only if you have bought through them though).

cliff
Tourist

Postby cliff » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:59 pm

If you go to Thomas Cook with that kind of money they will give you a reasonable rate (better than advertised) and not charge any commission (they're making loads in the spread anyway). Just go around several places and ask for their best rate. You may find that you can get a better rate at the exchange shops in Spain if you can find one with enough sterling.

The other option is to get a chequebook on your Unicaja account. Write a cheque to yourself and ask your UK bank to collect the funds and pay it into your account. It might take a couple of weeks and they will charge, but this might give you the best deal.