To trust or not to trust

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
gretch
Resident

To trust or not to trust

Postby gretch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:37 pm

Today I’d just set off to go to the bank, I saw a car at the side of the road with its hazard lights flashing, a young chap flagged me down saying he’d run out of diesel and could I take him to a filling station, the nearest was about 8kms away.
We always keep a 10-litre can at home and that was only 3kms away, so I took him home, collected the can, returned, and put the diesel in his car. I told him to take the can, and return it full the next time he was passing.
My partner thinks I’m crazy and should’ve followed him to the filling station to recover my can and diesel.

Any thoughts from the forum?

Regards gretch

Midnight Rambler

Re: To trust or not to trust

Postby Midnight Rambler » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:15 pm

I think your partners well clued up!

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:31 pm

I wouldn't have let the bloke in my car in the first place !!!
This day and age most people have moblies he could have easily called someone to have come and bring him the fuel..

jan400
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jan400 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:48 pm

Maybe your partner does have a point gretch, but I am praying your kindness and trust are repaid.

We could all do with a little of our faith in human nature restoring!

By the way if you had stopped for me I would have returned the fuel!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:58 pm

It's such a pity that it's such a sad old world we live in now. I can remember the days when nobody even locked their house doors.

Having had time to think about it I would say that I probably would have just slowed down a little, shook my head and mouthed sorry at him. However hindsight is a wonderful thing and perhaps I too, on the spur of the moment and being the too helpful person that my husband is always accusing me of being, would possibly have done the same as you. I might not have let him into my car but I may have gone home to get the diesel hoping that he would have some cash on him to repay my kindness.

Let's hope the chap restores all our faiths and calls with a can of diesel for you in a few days.

Keep us posted.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Your too trusting Gretch, you have taken a total stranger back home and have come to no harm. please don't make a habit of it.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:49 pm

Too trusting IMO, this one may be genuine but it's a well known scam on the coast for people to ask for a few euros for fuel for their mopeds etc.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi guys

Thank you for your concerned comments.
Had you seen this chap yourself, I’m sure you would’ve judged him ‘in genuine distress’ and like me would’ve had no qualms about allowing him in your car.
Where we live in the campo, kindness and generosity are not so much, charitable acts, but more a way of life.
I believe my can will be returned full before long, and if not, it’s only a few euros.
I will still hold my head high, even though people may say I’m crazy, knowing that mine, was an honest gesture.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:12 pm

gretch wrote:I will still hold my head high, even though people may say I’m crazy, knowing that mine, was an honest gesture.
Well said Gretch and they do say kindness has it's rewards and to 'man with can' honesty has it's own rewards too.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:50 am

Well said Gretch
Yes, and from me too.

The world would be a poorer place if there was no room for kindness, and trusting your instincts.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:54 pm

I've heard so many horror stories I wouldn't even open a window to find out the problem. Most people have mobiles to call for help anyway.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:21 pm

I won't call Gretch stupid just unwise. She has been very lucky if all she loses is a can of petrol. In the present society where values no longer exist, discipline is a dirty word and the victims of crime are often blamed for the crimes committed against them, she could easily have been raped and murdered in her own home.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:48 pm

Sorry guys, please don’t be mad, I didn’t intend to deceive anyone...... I’m bloke.
I suppose it’s my avatar, I just like the picture :!:

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:17 pm

I take it that you have not had your can returned?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:36 pm

gretch wrote:Sorry guys, please don’t be mad, I didn’t intend to deceive anyone...... I’m bloke.
I suppose it’s my avatar, I just like the picture :!:
...OK then, HE could have been raped and murdered in his own home. You can't say I don't believe in equality.

sassy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sassy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:39 pm

I was in my car outside our local supermarket in Marbella, kids in car, just loaded it full of shopping. First thing I always do is lock all the doors, just a normal thing for me to do. A young lad appeared from nowhere and said I had a flat tyre, wanted me to either wind the window down or get out of the car to look. I ignored him and took the risk and drove the small distance home and low and behold there was nothing wrong with my tyres. During the next week I visited the same supermarket and was told by one of the girls working there that a young man had approached a woman shopping outside, same situation and as she got out of the car, leaving her keys and handbag inside his mate jumped in and stole the car. This was within the same hour I was there. Scary stuff, especially as I had the kids with me. It is a great shame that we have to react like this and be wary of everyone, but I do think you are better safe than sorry, you were lucky this time Gretch, please don't do it again!

Sassy :wink:

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:00 am

Well, over a week has gone by and my can has not been returned. While I was with this chap I told he that we go to a particular bar most Friday nights, we went there last night expecting him to be there, I’m soooo disappointed. :cry: Pease don’t say, “I told you so”.
Maybe he’ll still show up with my can, maybe I didn’t explain myself properly, I know, and maybe I’ll win the lottery!
I still have a lot of faith in my fellow man; this episode has just dented it slightly.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:39 pm

gretch
Well, over a week has gone by
Things take longer here.... this is Spain. :lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:56 pm

and maybe you shouldn't have told him
you're 'out' most friday nights...

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:15 pm

It's a well known scam, we have been approached a few times by spanish asking for a few euros for fuel as they have broken down.