28 February - Andalucia Day

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Jill
Andalucia.com Amigo

28 February - Andalucia Day

Postby Jill » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:37 pm

Hello folks,
My husband and his mates have booked a skiing trip in a couple of weeks time and I have just noticed that 28 February is Andalucia Day. Does this mean that the slopes will be absolutely packed or is this day a fairly low key event? Is it just for the one day only? Also where is the best place to park the hire car? Any info would be much appreciated.
Jill

julian
Andalucia Guru

ski

Postby julian » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:30 pm

It will be busy in sierra nevada, there is a "puente" that weekend, and I think it´s semana blanca as well !!!
there is a large underground car park at the entrance to the resort

Jill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jill » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:54 pm

I'm sorry to be a bit thick but what does this all mean. What is a white week or whatever. Can someone translate please.

Jill

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:04 pm

Semana Blanca = Half Term (School Holiday), it will be jammed. Make sure you leave to arrive by at least 07:00 hours. Any later and you will be parking miles away.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

Jill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jill » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:13 pm

Oh boy will he be happy to hear this :cry: Guess he'll have to do his research better next time!

Jill

Jill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jill » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Any other tips from you skiing folks on beating/coping with those queues into resort other than the early start :?:
Any tips appreciated.
Jill

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:32 pm

I've been there a few years at that time and not had problems. Get early park free in the road going in. Later pay for the car park.
PS I haven't been later than 0830.
Pistes icy in AM
Can be porridge in PM
Ski low in AM
High in PM

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:05 pm

I was there last saturday. Left La Cala at 8.20, got to the bottom of thoe mountain at 10.15 (did have foot down for most of way!), grabbed skis and boots (thought we would avoid the queues in the resort). Took another 45 mins to get to the top, was queing the last 2 or 3 kms!!!

Guardia wouldnt let anyone near the underground car park, and were refusing to let cars park on the road side!!!

They sent us further up, to second stage car parks, which were also full. Ended up parking roadside, a LONG way from the resort (which was then when we wished we hadn't hired skis and boots from the bottom, now having to carry them to the slopes!!!!).

It was gone 1pm by the time we were kitted up and in the (incredibly long) queue for the telecabin.

Time we actually got onto the slopes it was nearly 2pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still had a great couple of hours skiing and once near the top of the mountain the queues for the chairlifts moved quickly.

Had a massive walk back to the car at the end of the day (nearly 40mins it took me!!!) and then queued in the car the whole way down!!!

So to learn from this.....1) leave VERY early. Very. 2) Dont hire stuff at the bottom, any time saved will be countered if you have to walk with skis, boots and poles. 3) if you are able to pre buy a lift pass, do so. 4) be prepared to queue, but try not to get too p*ssed off, its a small price o pay for great day out.

I do think it will be very busy, Half term, Bank holiday, Winter Olympics are on TV.......

Good luck

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 am

Just back from a week in Meribel and missing the snow already! Does anyone have an idea how late in the season you can ski in Sierra Nevada.
Was there late March last year but snow was a little sparse
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

estepona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby estepona » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:28 am

I was there in early April a couple of years ago. The only snow there seemed to be made by the machines, but plenty of people were skiing.

How much does it cost for a day's skiing including ski pass, ski hire, classes etc? Is there any where to book online to save time?

Is there any good public transport from the coast to the slopes to avoid the car park problem?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:43 pm

Drove round Granada today about 2pm and there were overhead signs on the motorway advising that all the Sierra Nevada car parks were full!

Jill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jill » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi Folks

Just had a text from husband to say there were major queues but once up there the conditions were cracking! Mind you I think he got up there for about 8.30 a.m.

Jill

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:53 pm

if you want to avoid the traffic queues for parking - there are regular buses from Granada bus station.

Jill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jill » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:16 pm

Thanks for that Samizdat, but our house is 1 hour away from slopes. Is there anywhere to park near the bus station? Plus 2 in party have their own skis, can these go on the bus?

Jill

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:36 pm

theres parking in the street near the bus station, its out of town in the suburbs. I think you can take skis and stuff on the bus, its more of a coach, and I think you can also hire at the bus station, so must be able to carry it up there :idea: