Mortgages on a Nave??

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
LiLoLil
Tourist

Mortgages on a Nave??

Postby LiLoLil » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:49 am

In my search for property in Andalucia I have come across many "Oh yes it's definitely a house" being a nave or barn.

Seems that there is a lot of property on the market like this!!

Estate agents knowing that I want to have a small mortgage dont bother telling you this and until recently knew that it was not possible to get a mortgage on such a property.

I was contacted by a 'mortgage broker' in Malaga who has told me that I in fact I CAN get a mortgage on such a property without any problems.

Before I go down this route and waste even more time on a pointless excercise to find that in fact you cant does anyone have any experience of raising money on a Nave?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:43 pm

If its really a house but is called a nave on the deeds..then its not a legal building..so I doubt you would get a mortgage..if its a really a nave and nave on the deeds then it is a legal property and therefor can be valid for a mortgage...if you can meet the mortgage company´s requirements.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:56 pm

Legitimate banks will not grant a mortgage on a shed masquerading as a dwelling unless they have the wool pulled over their eyes. However, some bank managers do not try to hard to see through the wool!

LiLoLil
Tourist

Postby LiLoLil » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:36 pm

silver wrote:If its really a house but is called a nave on the deeds..then its not a legal building..so I doubt you would get a mortgage..if its a really a nave and nave on the deeds then it is a legal property and therefor can be valid for a mortgage...if you can meet the mortgage company´s requirements.
If it's a Nave on the deeds then surely it IS a Nave and a legal building?

If a property is built as a nave, inspected during the build and accepted as a nave, then registered as a nave then it is legal? Yes?

Just because, over time, some 'farm worker' decides to make a space in the nave to sleep whilst tending his flock and adds a few creature comforts like hifi, digital tv, marble bathroom, Ikea kitchen (ok maybe not) but you get my drift?

I have heard that there are quite a few Spanish people building 'naves' without ANY planning permission at all on a VERY small piece of land. On completion of the building work going to the local council, cap in hand. and notifying the council of their forgetfulness of not telling anyone they were building. Accepting the 3000é fine, then getting the necessary paperwork from the council and then living in their pretty luxurious house, sorry I mean agricultural nave.

LiLoLil
Tourist

Postby LiLoLil » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Legitimate banks will not grant a mortgage on a shed masquerading as a dwelling unless they have the wool pulled over their eyes. However, some bank managers do not try to hard to see through the wool!
Hey Beachy

Know any bank managers who may have this wool deficiency??

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:07 am

It could be a wolf in sheep disguise.... :lol:

Initially we were very interested in one particular property overlooking the golf course.

Hubby is very regimental pertaining to the law, no ifs or buts, so off I went with a spaniard friend to the town hall. Was told not to buy properties in certain areas and he actually highlighted 'safe' areas for purchases.

Prior to looking at properties, we checked with our bank manager and he
had emphasised loans can only be extended in legal areas. Period.

Both the seller and us agreed to declare the full value of the agreed purchase price.

Gosh, it cost a bomb in notary fee. 8)
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:25 am

LiLoLil wrote:
I have heard that there are quite a few Spanish people building 'naves' without ANY planning permission at all on a VERY small piece of land. On completion of the building work going to the local council, cap in hand. and notifying the council of their forgetfulness of not telling anyone they were building. Accepting the 3000é fine, then getting the necessary paperwork from the council and then living in their pretty luxurious house, sorry I mean agricultural nave.
Paying the fine doesn't make it legal. It used to be possible to apply for a change of use after a period of time but even this loophole has now been closed.

The very small plots of rural land may have been divided up physically but not legally and are owned proindiviso.

LiLoLil
Tourist

Postby LiLoLil » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:17 am

It may not make it 'legal' but it is enough for the council to allow services, electic, water etc etc to be supplied to these properties!!!

Seems that there are different degrees of legality!! :shock: