Alert ... A Hoax .....

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Jade138
Resident

Alert ... A Hoax .....

Postby Jade138 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting email received today...

Quote:
'Dear Chase account holder,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Chase Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the Chase Bank network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure
that your account has not been compromised:

1. Login to your Chase Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password.

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to Chase staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire Chase system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

The Chase Bank Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

For assistance, log in to your Chase Bank account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

© 2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Click Logon Now to update your account and your security details.

Unquote:
It's critical clear, a hoax to me. We do not have an account with Chase.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:50 pm

People like you jade are so negative! Maybe there was an administrative error at the Chase bank, jade is a common name!
A similar thing happened to me recently, whereby I received an email by error and was given the chance to buy shares in the new Power Station in Nairobi. Needless to say, cynical people tried to dissuade me, but I've always stayed positive in my life. The result is that now I stand to pocket 10 million dollars at the end of the financial year. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:13 am

Jade. I suspect that these messages are intended to elicit personal details of account numbers etc. I've had identical ones purporting to come, in turn, from Barclays, Lloyds TSB, and Halifax! I have never had any dealings with any of these banks so, not very intelligent targetting from whoever sends them! :)

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:32 am

kevin77 wrote:People like you jade are so negative! Maybe there was an administrative error at the Chase bank, jade is a common name!
A similar thing happened to me recently, whereby I received an email by error and was given the chance to buy shares in the new Power Station in Nairobi. Needless to say, cynical people tried to dissuade me, but I've always stayed positive in my life. The result is that now I stand to pocket 10 million dollars at the end of the financial year. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Well I hope you don't forget who your friends are when your minted. :wink:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:32 am

it amazes me that some people ACTUALLY give their passwords / account numbers / cc numbers out!!!
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:55 am

Well I hope you don't forget who your friends are when your minted
No way, the contract killers have been paid up front also!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:35 am

I had an e-mail arrive from barclaycard a few weeks ago which I was suspicious of so I phoned them. I was told that they had not sent me anything for several weeks and suggested I e-mail their security dept. I did, and sent full details of the iffy mail I had received supposedly from them. The reply was that they did not answer this type of e-mail!!!

So much for Barclaycard security.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:04 pm

I received a Visa 'phishing' email which I forwarded to the real Visa. They were very pleased thanking me for taking the trouble and asking me to do so on any other occasion in the future.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:59 pm

kevin77 wrote: ....The result is that now I stand to pocket 10 million dollars at the end of the financial year. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Kevin, IMHO, experience is the best teacher but the tuition is very costly.
Smart is when you believe only half of what you hear.
Brilliant is when you know which half to believe. :lol: :lol: :lol:
masterob wrote:Jade. I suspect that these messages are intended to elicit personal details of account numbers etc.
Rob, Mhic, and Beachcomber, I am at par with you guys. A legitimate
entity will not resort to solicitating personal details via e-mails.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

fullmonty
Tourist

Postby fullmonty » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:53 pm

The easiest way to look at these is to imagine someone is at your front door and they simply say "Give me your personal details, account and bank numbers and all your passwords."

Anyway why should I care - I have just won a lottery - don't remember entering it, but I am assured all I have to do is send a load of money in advance and the winnings are all mine. Just waiting for me in Amsterdam.

And apparently I have won a free holiday and all I have to do is attend a timeshare presentation.
I don?t do drugs. I get the same effect standing up really fast.

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:31 pm

Just checked my emails and have 3 for Lloyds TSB and 1 for Barclays. All will be forwarded to the banks concerned.
I've also won lotteries, been offered jobs, been offered a cut if I let a Nigerian get some money into England via my bank account.

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:13 pm

On this subject I will tell you a story that I know to be true because I was present (though not party to the transaction).
In the summer of 1994 when the bloodletting was at it's peak in Ruanda a Ruandan "Prince" approached some people I know with a view to buying some Ruandan currency, a deal was struck, the outcome of which was that several suitcase of Ruandan paper money was handed over from the "Prince" to, shall we say "the boys" who handed him back a much smaller wad of English fifties! naturally as the Ruandan money was virtually worthless the "Prince" was extemely happy and walked away smiling.
Sevearl months later when calm was restored and the peacekeeping force entered Ruanda, "The boys" then sold the Ruandan money to the UN for it's full face value,!!