Plural of €

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Plural of €

Postby meseta » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:43 am

Is it my imagination or is there an increasing use of the word 'Euro' as being the plural of euros ?

As a fairly regular listener to REM, I hear many adverts using 'euro' when they should be using 'euros'.

For example, there's an Irish restaurant, with the audio being dictated by the owner himself, "..... meals from only 25 EURO....."

Have the times changed so much that we no longer bother with the 's' ?

So what is the plural of 'euro' ?
Last edited by meseta on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:43 am

:( I agree with you...Ian Jacks on OCI does the same...I hate it! It is EUROS...One Euro...Two Euros, but, as with Pounds...in the vernacular.. Wun Parnd...Two Parnd etc. Just Lazy Speak. What worries me is that children being brought up down hear will come to accept these wrong pronunciations as the norm if they hear them on the Radio.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:41 am

The EU web page FAQs says:
"Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both 'euro' and 'cent' are to be written without 's' in English."
I wonder how many hours were wasted in Brussels deciding this and whether euro should have a capital E or not!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:57 am

Just Lazy Speak. What worries me is that children being brought up down hear
Down HEAR?, Down wear? :lol: :wink:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:11 am

Pet hates :- the letter "P" spoken for "pence" or even "one/a pence" and not "one/a penny!
Others - incorrect use of apostrophes to indicate plurals, even in large Supermarkets! For example, Safeway, Gibraltar & UK too, Books , papers, OK - DVD's - YUK. DVD's what?
Oh and finally, for now anyway, UK TV advertisements such as " This superb sofa for only 999."
999 what - pounds, cows, christmas puddings - who knows from this sloppy habit?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:51 am

Y'see...thinking of " hearing" words and being down "here", and then relying on a spell chequer (sic) and look what happens :roll:

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:59 am

I've used the spell checker on here and I'm not impressed. I think it must be a limited trial version because it often differs from the way in which I spell. Of course my way is always right. :lol: :wink:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:03 pm

lis48 wrote:The EU web page FAQs says:
"Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both 'euro' and 'cent' are to be written without 's' in English."
I wonder how many hours were wasted in Brussels deciding this and whether euro should have a capital E or not!
Makes you wonder who can speak English in Brussels...so to say Six Euro Twelve Cent is correct then....I don't think so.....

:!:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:32 pm

I find that most presenters on local English language radio stations have difficulty stringing two words together and I avoid all of them like the plague! It really irritates me to hear the s left off of euros. We didn't used to say peseta instead of pesetas so why euro instead of euros?

As for spell-checking, I use Spellbound in conjunction with Firefox. Image It is much more accurate and far quicker than the one incorporated in this forum and one can also choose a UK English dictionary which does NOT try to change, for example, colour to color. You can also add commonly used words which are not already in the dictionary.

A Spanish dictionary extension can also be added which is handy when venturing into Spanish language fora. (Not 'forums' PLEASE) :cry:

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:00 pm

If you think what has been stated above is bad then listen to local US TV stations especially adverts.

Worst ones I am finding are "burrer" for butter and "cause" for because.

The "only 999" is no correct it should be "only 999.99" :lol:
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:03 pm

spanish hopes wrote:
Just Lazy Speak. What worries me is that children being brought up down hear
Spanish Hopes, someone made a small spelling mistake, is it really so important for you ego that you need to point it out? I think that any of us here, with even a minimum education realises that it was a mistake, nothing more, do you feel better for pointing it out, I will be monitoring your outpourings from now on, make no mistake I will point out your maistakes to you!

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:33 pm

B y the way before you have chance to reply, the "maistake" was deliberate!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:36 am

SadK are you some sort of plumb? The comment was made in humour and was taken as such by the original poster. When he complains I will be happy to apologise to him but never to a fool such as you.

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:12 pm

spanish hopes wrote:SadK are you some sort of plumb? The comment was made in humour and was taken as such by the original poster. When he complains I will be happy to apologise to him but never to a fool such as you.

I think the word fool is only used by you on this forum, could you please tell me (a) how do you know I'm a fool and (b) why do you need to use it in such a derogatory manner?

I might further point out that if you expect others to accept your comments with humour then why can you not do the same?.

I have followed the exchanges between you and "Midnight Rambler in recent weeks and there seems to be more than a little animosity between you, I have nothing against you, indeed I have no clue who you are but you do seem particulary aggressive towards some others, I just wondered why you have such a bitter approach to them, this forum is in fact designed for us to help each other is it not, why don't you stick to making useful and productive comments (if you have any) instead of jumping on peoples backs all the time, you really are a windbag, why not give it a rest, I've noticed that few if any of the other posters here rarely respond to your rubbish, particularly the gurus, whom I presume have earned that title by being of some value to the forum, whereas from your particular point of view you have got that title merely by posting drivel, doesn't that give you any clues.
I notice that "Midnight" has, sensibly declined to respond to your most recent barrage of vitriol, anyway I have said my piece, (I hope you take it in the humour in which which it intended, good luck, Sad K :) :)

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:36 pm

Sad.
Why is it that you have returned to one of your resting ID's to have a go?
midnight is 'resting' because you can only come on in one ID at a time.
How come you haven't used your newest ID paulellis, is it because he was outed before you could start your infiltration.
I did indeed achieve guru status because of the number of postings drivel and otherwise just as all gurus do.
I can accept humorous postings from those capable of humour, but you just make me groan, not smile.
Whilst you are abusing me in all of your guises then you are leaving the others alone so in that respect I am performing a service to and on behalf of the forum as a whole.
You will notice how some members attack me on your behalf then when they realize that you are just another incarnation of Alan wanless they back off, probably embarrassed at being taken in by someone so obvious and inarticulate as yourself, and yourself and yourself.

It doesn't matter what ethnic group you try to portray yourself in T0ps, be it black, brown, yellow or green is of no relevance.
You can take the burger flipper away from the burgers, but he will always be a burger flipper at heart.

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:49 pm

spanish hopes wrote:Sad.
Why is it that you have returned to one of your resting ID's to have a go?
midnight is 'resting' because you can only come on in one ID at a time.
How come you haven't used your newest ID paulellis, is it because he was outed before you could start your infiltration.
I did indeed achieve guru status because of the number of postings drivel and otherwise just as all gurus do.
I can accept humorous postings from those capable of humour, but you just make me groan, not smile.
Whilst you are abusing me in all of your guises then you are leaving the others alone so in that respect I am performing a service to and on behalf of the forum as a whole.
You will notice how some members attack me on your behalf then when they realize that you are just another incarnation of Alan wanless they back off, probably embarrassed at being taken in by someone so obvious and inarticulate as yourself, and yourself and yourself.

It doesn't matter what ethnic group you try to portray yourself in T0ps, be it black, brown, yellow or green is of no relevance.
You can take the burger flipper away from the burgers, but he will always be a burger flipper at heart.
So you're telling us that all the gurus (gurus please note the respect in which you are held by "Spanish hopes") post drivel, by the way you'll need extra grease to slide out of that one :wink:
Who on earth is Alan Wanless and why do you think I'm connected to him, I don't mind having sensible exchanges with you, but please do try to be a bit more adult about it, you say you're retired, so shouldn't you be a bit more worldy and take things more easily, I look forward to your reply but please keep it sensible (and no racist remarks please, you're already very close!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:54 pm

Of course all gurus post drivel at some time or another, you never get to guru status because you go over the top and get booted or spread your volume of posts amongst too many ID's.
Your latest tirades and my replies will also probably be wiped so you will still not reach the higher echelons.