NI contributions in different countries = no pension?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

NI contributions in different countries = no pension?

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:57 pm

My wife and I have paid NI contributions in UK, France and Spain.
More in UK than others.

Can these contributions be combined for one UK pension? as insufficient contributions have been made in France and Spain to qualify for even the minimum pension.

Mike

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby meseta » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:09 pm

Have a look here http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ato ... s.asp#will

One of the FAQ's which may be of interest....

With thanks to the 'The Pension Service' website

"Will I receive a pension from each country?

Yes, you will receive a pension from each EEA or agreement country where you have made insurance contributions, if you have at least the minimum amount of insurance contributions required in each country to qualify.

Each country adds together your insurance contributions from all EEA countries. Then each country sees how much state pension (if any) you would get if your insurance contributions had all been paid into that country's own social security scheme.

However, each country pays you part of your pension. How much that country pays you depends on how much you have paid into its scheme."

It would be interesting to hear how you get on.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:10 pm

When we moved to Spain we were told by the then DHSS that any social security contributions made in Spain could be added to what we had paid in the UK to go towards a pension which could be paid EITHER in the UK or in Spain.

This was over twenty years ago and I haven't been in touch with them since but I gather that the same situation prevails. I don't know about France but the Spanish INSS provides a certificate at the end of each financial year of the amount paid into the system which will presumably be sufficient proof of the payment of contributions when the time come to claim your pension.

(EDIT) We posted at the same time, Meseta, and your answer is far more positive than mine. Thanks for the information

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby meseta » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:17 pm

I've been paying my autonomo for four years now and assume that part of that goes towards a Spanish pension conrtibution.

When does the annual statement arrive ?

Maybe I simply don't know that it looks like !

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Yes, that's how I understand it.

The statement comes from The Ministerio de Trabajo y Asuntos Sociales - Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social around April time for the previous year.

It is a foolscap sheet which is a different colour each year. Last year it was purple, the previous year it was yellow etc.

It shows your name, Social Security number and NIE number then lists, month by month, the contributions you have made.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:03 pm

In UK you need 9/10ths of your working life in paid or credited NI contributions to qualify for a 100% pension.

i.e. 18 - 65 = 47 years so 42 would be 100% if you retired early or had missing years living abroad etc. these would be deducted.

In UK nothing is paid to you at all if you have less than a 25% entitlement, prersumably all EU countries will be the same. :!:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:22 pm

The way the whole system is going down the toilet in the UK I would doubt that there will be any funds left to pay anything to anyone by the time I reach pensionable age.

I'm not holding my breath for any kind of state pension and certainly haven't taken it into consideration when planning my financial future.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:36 pm

Beachcomber wrote:When we moved to Spain we were told by the then DHSS that any social security contributions made in Spain could be added to what we had paid in the UK to go towards a pension which could be paid EITHER in the UK or in Spain.
As I understand it, the 15 year minimum rule in Spain only applies to qualifying for a Spanish pension.

If you have enough UK contributions to get the minimum pension, any contributions in other EU countries will count towards your final pension.

A friend of mine has worked in France, Spain and Italy, never for long enough to satisfy the local minimum criteria, but now receives his pension from the UK based on the UK contributions plus any made in the other countries.

Sid