Abolition of residency Cards

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Abolition of residency Cards

Postby meseta » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:08 am

From the Euro weekly News this week.........

"A EUROPEAN Directive, which includes automatic rights of residency for expats and the abolition of resident cards, is due to come into force in Spain from April 30 this year. "

"EU citizens who arrived in Spain on or after January 29, 2006, and intend to take up permanent residence, will not have to apply for a resident card."

I wonder what we are being given as an identity document ?

Some interesting material here http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk./index.htm

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:37 am

From that very site:
"The 'resident's card' is to be replaced with an up-dated version of an extract from the electoral register, which must be immediately issued, free of charge, by the Town Hall of your place of residence. Further after a 5-year residence qualification, without impediment, one then acquires the status of a permanent citizen of their host country and acquires, almost all the rights of a National citizen. This latter certificate must be issued by your Town Hall no later that 3 months following application. Further, under this Directive you may acquire the right, if you become eligible, to benefit from the host State's social security scheme."

Maybe I'm missing something but I personally have never seen the problem with having a residency/ID card. It only costs a few euros and is a convenient means of ID without having to carry your passport. If we now have to rely on an "an up-dated version of an extract from the electoral register, which must be immediately issued, free of charge, by the Town Hall of your place of residence" then heaven help us all. We shall see....

p.s. I was hoping to still be in bed right now but that's the problem with having Andalucia Day on a Tuesday....people who don't live in Andalucia ring at unearthly hours....

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:43 am

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:54 am

Both of these information bulletins were republished in modified form on the MIR web site on 23rd February 2006 (the 25th anniversary of the most recent attempted Coup De'tat in Spain!!)

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/extranje/regi ... encia.html

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/extranje/regi ... encia.html

No mention there of any intention to do away with the need for a residence permit in two months time!

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby meseta » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Beach
Possibly !

The item only came to my attention a day or two ago so its all new to me !

It possibly merits being brought to our users' attention again as it could be a big issue, irrespective of your view of the signficance of the http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:14 pm

i have several questions regarding this, if it does indeed come into effect.

1. they state that if you arrived in Spain on or after January 29, 2006, then you automatically get one of these "new" official documents. what about those of us that have been here for a few years and are applying for residency? do they now not need to? or do they still have to ?

2. what if you dont want to be a resident? can u "opt out" of this new system?

3. for people like myself, resident in the uk and spending 180 days there, how does the new scheme affect me? will the 180 day rule still apply?

4. if the new scheme is supposed to be a european directive, does the same apply to cars ? will the rule of foreign vehicles remain the same ? or will it change ?

i´m sure theres alot of un-answered questions at this point.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

have you some spare time ?

Postby meseta » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:16 pm

Spanish Lad, if you've a few days to spare, here's the text of the European directive in which you may find your answers !

Good luck !

http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk./E.U ... 770123.pdf

Even more late night reading can be found here

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/about/abc/index.html

Davanne21
Tourist

Postby Davanne21 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:53 pm

3. for people like myself, resident in the uk and spending 180 days there, how does the new scheme affect me? will the 180 day rule still apply?

4. if the new scheme is supposed to be a european directive, does the same apply to cars ? will the rule of foreign vehicles remain the same ? or will it change ?

i´m sure theres alot of un-answered questions at this point.[/quote]

I was told by a friend a Temp- Residencia is to be issued covering up to 11mths, but no mention of our cars??? as you say alot of unanswered questions at this point. :(

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 am

Hillybilly wrote "Further after a 5-year residence qualification, without impediment, one then acquires the status of a permanent citizen of their host country and acquires, almost all the rights of a National citizen. "

Does this mean we will be able to vote in general elections?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:37 am

If you spend more than 183 days in Spain you have to submit a tax return declaring your worldwide income. It has nothing to do with residence permits.

Until there is some kind of central European registration agency for motor vehicles nothing will change. No country is going to allow thousands of untraceable foreign registered vehicles on its roads.

The right of foreigners to vote in general elections depends on reciprocal voting rights being granted in the foreigner's country of origin.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:48 pm

thats what i was thinking, by abolishing the residencia card, surely they are making it worse ?

it turns hundreds of thousands, well no.. millions of people, from traceable (by residencia) to untracable ... ??

i know that we will have our passports, buts for things like a mortgge? buying a car ? changing address? what will we have to use ? NIE? or passport numbers ?

wouldn´t it be easier to KEEP the residencia ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:35 pm

The situation with regard to the "abolition of residents cards" has been clarified by the British Consul.

Speaking at a public meeting for British residents in Jalon, Mr Thomson said, “Above all, do not believe what you read. An English newspaper had a front page article saying resident cards are going to be abolished. They are not.”

He said the situation had been double-checked by diplomats in Madrid. “There are no plans to make any administrative changes.” Mr Thomson said the requirements of the Brussels directive, made in 2004 but given two years to come into force, had been adopted by a liberal Spanish government in a special decree 12 months earlier.

So it looks like it's business as usual then! :D

Sid

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:25 am

El Cid wrote:The situation with regard to the "abolition of residents cards" has been clarified by the British Consul.

Speaking at a public meeting for British residents in Jalon, Mr Thomson said, “Above all, do not believe what you read. An English newspaper had a front page article saying resident cards are going to be abolished. They are not.”

He said the situation had been double-checked by diplomats in Madrid. “There are no plans to make any administrative changes.” Mr Thomson said the requirements of the Brussels directive, made in 2004 but given two years to come into force, had been adopted by a liberal Spanish government in a special decree 12 months earlier.

So it looks like it's business as usual then! :D

Sid
:D Well thank goodness for that then!

Mortgage Wizard
Tourist

Postby Mortgage Wizard » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:43 am

There was an article in the Round Town News as follows

http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/content/view/6842/34/