Considering a move to Cartama any residents on here???

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
lorraine
Andalucia.com Amigo

Considering a move to Cartama any residents on here???

Postby lorraine » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:51 am

Have found a lot of nice looking places in this area, cannot be too specific as only seen on internet, have driven through but not much more. Have a teenage son who is computer/internet mad, does anyone know about the reliability of the computer / internet in this area ??also nearest international school, know of St Anthonys.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Cártama isn't my favourite town in the area but there are many foreign residents who live happily there. Watch out for illegally built properties, though. This caveat applies wherever you purchase but particularly in Cártama.

St Anthony's College is on the Coín road out of Fuengirola and is not the most accessible place from Cártama. We have no children so don't know much about schools. Nonetheless, St Anthony's does have a good reputation

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:46 pm

I have a son at St. Anthony's who is doing his GCSE's and although the school does not have the best facilities (which makes us wonder where our school fees go...) he has a fantastic maths teacher and is happy there. That said, I think you will find Sunlands near Cartama is a very good school but you will need to check as it is fairly new and might not yet, by natural progression, have a form accommodating your sons age group. As regards location, it is within easy reach of Malaga airport and the coast and to be honest you really have to visit and get a feel for the place. We were originally going to buy a beautiful property in Alhaurin el Grande but when we went to inspect we really did not like the town at all and could never have lived there.
p.s. Internet access is not a problem - happy hunting!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:26 pm

:? You really need to come down and root around; the Guadalhorce Valley is superb and has something for everyone, except thankfully, rave nightlife, which you need to go to the coast for.
You will not be disappointed with Sunlands School either, several of our neighbours use it and are happily satisfied.
Personally I don't like Cartama itself but plenty do. We live in the mountains near Pizarra, but we have friends who visit us and who say we are too isolated, but it suits us just fine, each to his own. Take your time......come on in, the waters fine!
We have wireless ADSL...no problems there!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Considering a move to Cartama any residents on here???

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:27 pm

lorraine wrote:Have found a lot of nice looking places in this area, cannot be too specific as only seen on internet, have driven through but not much more. Have a teenage son who is computer/internet mad, does anyone know about the reliability of the computer / internet in this area ??also nearest international school, know of St Anthonys.

theres a woman and her husband moving there soon - P.A.D., i dont know what she does, but her husband is a musician. i dont think they have any kids - but are looking at internet connections as well.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

P.A.D.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby P.A.D. » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:30 pm

Hi,
Yes, Span_lad is right, we have a place in Cartama. We're moving out there in approx one year from now (earlier if possible!). I do have a daughter, but she is 16 and wont be coming with us as she is staying on at school for A-levels, and I think its important NOT to disrupt her at this important time in her education/social life... Its HER choice to remain in UK and I have to respect that.....

PM me if you would like to know bits and bobs about Cartama. We're not experts, but will help you in any way we can...

Anj (P.A.D.)

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

FYI

Postby meseta » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:24 am

From the current Costa del Sol News online edition,

"Cártama to double in size

News Staff Reporter

Cártama's local development plan (PGOU), now approved after two years of debate, foresees a doubling of the town's population in the next ten years. The Town Council finally gave the plan a green light last week, with Mayor José Garrido explaining that it hinges on three major metropolitan projects – the food technology park, the regional hospital and a zone of logistic activity. The road network will be improved with a major new link between Cártama Pueblo and Estación de Cártama, traffic congestion on the main Alhaurín and Coín roads will be addressed, and previously announced projects, including the sports centre, a commercial zone and a leisure area will also go ahead.
As many as 19,000 new houses are expected to be built during the next decade. Residential development land will have a density of 35 houses per hectare, while the plan says that the town should have 13.28 square metres of green zone per inhabitant, against the present figure of just 3.5 square metres. A new cemetery and crematorium, a new police headquarters and a dedicated lorry-park are also envisaged. However, opposition councillors said that the residential model proposed would increase the price of land making it more difficult for local people to buy property. "

lorraine
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lorraine » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:15 pm

My husbands comment, not sure if this is good or bad! :?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Re: FYI

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:33 pm

meseta wrote:However, opposition councillors said that the residential model proposed would increase the price of land making it more difficult for local people to buy property. "

i heard about the proposed 19k houses too.. madness, its only a small place, that´ll make it bigger than Alhaurin el Grande at the moment ! i hope alhaurin doesn´t grow at the same pace :shock: that sort of enlargement would turn alhaurin into a nightmare !

on the other hand, it might look bad, but imagine what land is going to be worth in 5 or 10 years time in and around cartama ?;)

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:26 pm

We are currently living in Carratraca, about 1/2 hour drive inland to Cartama. I have found that after a year of living here, that it is far too isolated for me and we have decided to up and move to Cartama de Estacion-Cartama pueblo is not quite for us so that is why we decided on Estacion!

I am there most of the week meeting up with my mum for a coffee as it is a half way meeting point to our homes. Hence I have become quite attached to the area. We have also looked at Alhaurin el Grande as my husband works there, Pizarra (our eldest two go to school there), Alora (too much like where we are only easier to get lost!), Alhaurin de la Torre (too expensive!), Campillos (too much further inland), and more!

So, we have looked elsewhere and made a choice. All we have to do now is sell our house here...anyone interested...needs a bit of work but has AMAZING views (wish I could take thoose with me!!). Maybe this time next year if we are lucky!!
Donna

lorraine
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cannot find Carratracca on a map!!!!!!!!!!

Postby lorraine » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:25 pm

So where exactly is it!!!!!!!!!!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:08 pm

carratraca is next to Ardales, it can be reached from cartama / estacion - if you go to coin and take the OLD road out towards ronda, follow that until el burgo then take a right, you will reach it in around 40 minutes.

i dunno.. its a bit too far INLAND for me :lol:

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:29 am

lorraine said -
So where exactly is it!!!!!!!!!!
Take a look at:-http://www.andalucia.com/antequera/carratraca/home.htm

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:58 pm

spanish_lad wrote:carratraca is next to Ardales, it can be reached from cartama / estacion - if you go to coin and take the OLD road out towards ronda, follow that until el burgo then take a right, you will reach it in around 40 minutes.

i dunno.. its a bit too far INLAND for me :lol:
Actually, Carratraca is soooo eay to find!! Not sure about your route Spanish lad, but from Cartama, go along the A357 to Campillos and take the next main junction after Pizarra (10mins after!). It should take no more than 1/2 hour in normal traffic from Cartama. I can usually get to Cartama de Estacion in 20 mins.

Anyway...I don't think lorraine wanted to know where Carratraca is, only Caratama!! Correct me if I am wrong!!
Donna

jules 2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jules 2 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:44 pm

Donna

I think Lorraine wants to know where your new place is!
jules 2

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:15 pm

Don't know!!! We haven't sold our house yet so still only looking!! Sorry!
Donna

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:43 am

Donna and Paul wrote:Actually, Carratraca is soooo eay to find!! Not sure about your route Spanish lad, but from Cartama, go along the A357 to Campillos and take the next main junction after Pizarra (10mins after!). It should take no more than 1/2 hour in normal traffic from Cartama. I can usually get to Cartama de Estacion in 20 mins.
ahhh didn´t realise you could go that way, the alora road :) (i go that way quite alot, up to campillos and then inand from there to visit friends)

sounds quite cool then ;) i dont suppose you´ve ever seen anyone setting up bouncy castles up there have you? that little bar around the corner from the one on the "pier".. is very "old spanish man" but also very cheap.. all he sells is beer, wine, sherry, ham and cheese :D lol ... :D