anybody out there with schizophrenia

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
corrine
Tourist

anybody out there with schizophrenia

Postby corrine » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:35 am

Hi there, I am a friend of a mother of a 21 yr old who has recently been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia we managed to section him 5 weeks ago for his own safety after he tried to commit suicide he stayed in there almost 3 weeks and was diagnosed there. He came home a little better but the problem is he doesnt speak Spanish. I am his friend and have been his translator all the way through his ordeal as I speak fluent Spanish, but just to make sure that we tried every way possible to get best treatment for him and the best understanding we could of his illness and how to look after him his dad then took him to England in order to speak to psychiatrists in his own languadge but they basically said the same as they did here, and he came home a few days later to be with rest of the family hes been back a week now and is a lot better I have since moved in with them and have been scouring the internet to find more info and there is plenty, although I would really like to hear if there is anybody else out there who suffers from this or that knows of any organizations in English in Andalucia or any way at all that we can interact with people who are going through or have been through a simillar ordeal. We feel a bit desperate and alone sometimes...

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:28 am

As you will know or have been told corrine, paranoid schitzophrenia is at the moment not curable. However it is often very well controlled with medication. Often the patient if left to his/her own devices will stop taking the medicine as they feel so well, thinking they no longer need medication, feeling aggrieved that they will have to take this medication probably for the rest of their lives, and the decline once medication is stopped is rapid. The recovery can also be rapid once the medication is restarted. He is most probably better off with those who care and who can keep an eye on his medication regime. Encourage him rather than banter him to take his medication regularly and the incidences of self harm will lessen, his ability to live a near normal lifestyle will increase. Alcohol and especially recreational drugs should be completely avoided, especially cannabis and amphetamines which can be mood altering and thus increase his feelings of paranoia. Unfortunately he is of the age and will mix with people in the age group who think all drug use is cool and relatively safe. I don't want to start an argument with the pro drug groups but will say that for a paranoid schitzophrenic the drugs of recreation certainly are not cool and not safe.
The main points are to watch him for swings of mood to try to recognise dips in advance, and to monitor that he is in fact sticking to his medication regime.
Not a concise or in depth breakdown of his condition I am afraid but probably the best help I can give to you in your position as an untrained carer.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:47 pm

Have to say for once I agree 100% with Spanish Hopes. The most difficult problem being an acceptance of having to continue with the medication, followed by staying off the dope. This may mean breaking with their social scene, unless their friends can be made to understand the problem and be supportive.
Grouser

corrine
Tourist

thanx

Postby corrine » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:46 pm

I thank you both for your replies, it is very difficult knowing what to do and how to act, although at the moment he seems almost completely normal, but I wonder how he is feeling in his head, I dont really want to urge him to speak about it at home so we only realy talk about his thoughts and feelings in detail when we visit the psychiatrist and that is only once a month if that.

He did use cannabis a few years ago, but for 3 years now he has been kind of a recluse just up in his bedroom all the time and only really went out to go to church, believe it or not, but little did we know that all this religious thing is typicall in schitzophrenia sufferers, this is where he got his "commands from god" to kill himself. He has only mentioned wanting to go to church once since out of hospital, but we managed to gently talk him out of it.

I have found a forum where schitzophrenia sufferers post comments, I thought it would be a good thing for him interacting with others like him, but now Im not so sure after reading a few post that went on about stopping taking tablets because its the worlds way of controlling all schitzophrenics, this in my opinion is the worst thing that the boy could hear so I havent told him about it. But I do think it would be helpfull for him to know that others are having similar thoughts and feelings in their heads.
Thankfully he is actually very aware that most of these thoughts are not reall but other times he really does think that his room and the car have been "bugged" by spies and the police and Ijust dont know what to say to him so I just say that its just the illness thats making him feel like that. Am I doing the right thing. Also as I speak I can hear him saying that he wants to go and buy some beers to watch the footie, Ive tried to talk him out of it and he says he will get sin alcohol. Just out of curiosity what kind of reaction would alcohol have with his medication if any, he is taking 9mg Risperdal per day, does anybody have any idea................

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Would have thought maybe a "medical" forum would be more help to you than this one.
I wear it well...........

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:31 pm

Alcohol and drugs will both act adversely with his medication, but more to the point both have mood altering properties. He will be told all there is to know about his illness, there is no real need for him to have counselling or to share feelings with other sufferers, in fact it could be counter productive. If you are so desperate to help then make sure he continues to take his medication regularly. If he appears to be getting more depressed then arrange for him to see his psyciatrist even if an appointment is not due. Don't wait until he hits rock bottom before acting.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:21 pm

Sorry corrine but I'm afraid you will not get much sensible advice in this topic any more, chrissi the new troll has landed.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:19 pm

An excellent reply Spanish Hopes and good advice. I would just underline the support the mother of the lad needs from Corinne and other friends. I think she would probably benefit from going into the web sites you mention rather than the boy if he's just newly been diagnosed. The strain on the parents who inevitably feel somehow to blame even if told again and again that they are not, is immeasurable in my experience.

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:44 pm

For some straightforward info and sound advice go to any of the NHS Trust websites. Try www.bsmht.nhs.uk which is the Birmingham & Solihull Trust site. Unfortunately if you / the carers are not in the UK some of the links will not be much use but you may find some are. There are links for users and carers of people with MH problems.
Jane

villades
Tourist

Postby villades » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:26 pm

corrine,
www.mind.org.uk, you might find some useful info on there, and links to other sites.